Book Junkies discussion

Archives > December: Leviathan by Scott Westerfield

Comments (showing 1-39 of 39) (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (Faize) | 1090 comments Mod
I'm excited for this steampunk one, aren't you all?:)

message 2: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (Faize) | 1090 comments Mod
Oh, here's a link to the book if you wanna check it out: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/60...

message 3: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) Very excited!
Haven't read it but it looks good! :D

message 4: by Hud-c (new)

Hud-c | 438 comments Leviathan, yes! I hope Scott Westerfield won't disappoint.

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Stoolfire I love the alternate history! :)

message 6: by Hud-c (new)

Hud-c | 438 comments Hey, I got started last night. I almost choke myself to stop reading. I'm currently at the end of chapter 3. :D

So what do you think? the progress of the story? the illustrations?

message 7: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) Just picked it up from the library so I'll be reading a few chapters later.

message 8: by Hud-c (new)

Hud-c | 438 comments I'm stuck at chapter 7, 0_o

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Graf | 17 comments This is an AMAZING series! It's a good introduction to steampunk, for those who have no idea what it's about.

message 10: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (NerdAtlas) | 25 comments I started it today. So far its really good. I've read a few other steampunk books (I'm hooked on the subculture in general) and I'm really excited to finally be reading it. Does anyone else like the steampunk genre/subculture? If so, what books did you really like?

Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson (wickedshizuku) | 100 comments Started this this morning. So far I'm not really liking the flavor that it's giving off. I feel like I'm stuck inside of a mix Xenogears and History Channel's special of the time era between WWI & WWII. I forgot to read the synopsis again. Darvit!

message 12: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) Wickedshizuku wrote: "Started this this morning. So far I'm not really liking the flavor that it's giving off. I feel like I'm stuck inside of a mix Xenogears and History Channel's special of the time era between WWI & ..."

I hope it gets better for you!

message 13: by Ansareen (new)

Ansareen (ahass35) I read all the books, and i ♥♥♥♥♥ them!

message 14: by Hud-c (new)

Hud-c | 438 comments Its unputdownable once you hit the twentieth chapter (in my experience). Currently I'm on chapter 32 and stopped last night because it was 3 am and I got work tomorrow, (which is actually today). I'm still sleepy.

So far, how are you guys doing?

message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (NerdAtlas) | 25 comments I love the fabricated beasts and machines (but mostly the animals). I'm on chapter thirty-one, but my opinion on the book is going to be put on hold until I finish it. Not sure what to think of it yet, but I love the concept.

message 16: by Hud-c (new)

Hud-c | 438 comments Stephanie wrote: "I love the fabricated beasts and machines (but mostly the animals). I'm on chapter thirty-one, but my opinion on the book is going to be put on hold until I finish it. Not sure what to think of it ..."

Me too. The modified animals just amazes me. And I'm already done with the book. I'll just wait for you guys to share your experiences here.

Ciaossu!

message 17: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (NerdAtlas) | 25 comments Just finished it! Leaves you wanting more, so its a good thing its a trilogy! I've already got the second book here, but I have to read the other books I checked out too. So many books, so little time...
Anyways, I found Alek's and Deryn's relationship interesting. It's not like the guy-girl relationship in today's young adult books in that Deryn isn't particularily losing her head over it. Maybe thats because she's trying to pass off as a guy, but I like it. Has anyone else finished it?

message 18: by Hud-c (new)

Hud-c | 438 comments Stephanie wrote: "Just finished it! Leaves you wanting more, so its a good thing its a trilogy! I've already got the second book here, but I have to read the other books I checked out too. So many books, so little t..."

I agree. There's a little hint of romance (I don't want to call it romance actually more like sympathy perhaps between Alek and Dylan). I enjoyed it tho some words got me confused... has anyone been bother by the dialogues? the way the characters deliver their words?

message 19: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) I confess! I didn't read it! :(
*cringes in fear of stoning*

message 20: by Hud-c (new)

Hud-c | 438 comments Martha wrote: "I confess! I didn't read it! :(
*cringes in fear of stoning*"

HUH!?

*grabs a cute plush toy of a whale and throws it at Martha

How could you? Just kidding. :P

So this thread is gonna be stuck as it is. Ugh, not again.

So guys, anyone of you have read the book before, share your opinions please. (Calling Ansareen, yohoo!!!)

message 21: by Ansareen (last edited Dec 30, 2012 11:57PM) (new)

Ansareen (ahass35) umm... well at first I really thought it was disgusting, i mean using animals like that! eww! but after a while it got interesting and i like how two genres are mixed together.
What do you guys think the mysterious eggs will hatch into?
What did you think of Deryn when she caused Aleks capture when he was just trying to help?

message 22: by Stephanie (last edited Dec 31, 2012 06:58PM) (new)

Stephanie (NerdAtlas) | 25 comments Ansareen wrote: "umm... well at first I really thought it was disgusting, i mean using animals like that! eww! but after a while it got interesting and i like how two genres are mixed together.
What do you gu..."

I was disappointed at Deryn for turning Alek in, but you know, I probably would have trusted him more than she did. He behaved in every way like the enemy, so she had a pretty good reason to distrust him and be on the safe side by letting him get captured.

message 23: by Hud-c (new)

Hud-c | 438 comments Ansareen wrote: "umm... well at first I really thought it was disgusting, i mean using animals like that! eww! but after a while it got interesting and i like how two genres are mixed together.
What do you gu..."

Not for me. I was amazed. I wanted to imagine it. I dunno about the eggs... I just have to guess that it must be some prehistoric animal or something from those dinosaur era... THERE GOES MY WILD IMAGINATION!!!

About Deryn, I think she did the right thing. She wants the place in the Leviathan badly, so disappointing her superiors will be a disaster for her. That might sound selfish, though. But hey, everything went well in the end.

message 24: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) Hud-c wrote: "Martha wrote: "I confess! I didn't read it! :(
*cringes in fear of stoning*"

HUH!?

*grabs a cute plush toy of a whale and throws it at Martha

How could you? Just kidding. :P

So this thread is ..."

I know I suck. But I have REALLY good excuse I promise!

message 25: by Hud-c (new)

Hud-c | 438 comments Martha wrote: "I know I suck. But I have REALLY good excuse I promise! "

And what is that? *throws dagger looks*

Hahaha! :P

Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson (wickedshizuku) | 100 comments Well I didn't finish this one. I just didn't have enough time to stop, but I will get it finished in the next 10 days or so.
If you're wondering what distracted me then keep a look out for Blue Moon Rising, it was a really fantastic read.

message 27: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) Hud-c wrote: "Martha wrote: "I know I suck. But I have REALLY good excuse I promise! "

And what is that? *throws dagger looks*

Hahaha! :P"

Other books :D

message 28: by Hud-c (new)

Hud-c | 438 comments Martha wrote: "Other books :D "

Wickedshizuku wrote: "Well I didn't finish this one. I just didn't have enough time to stop, but I will get it finished in the next 10 days or so.
If you're wondering what distracted me then keep a look out for Blue Mo..."

What books are that, Martha?

Hey wickedshizuku, I checked out Blue Moon Rising. Looks interesting. I haven't read much fantasy these days. I'm going to read it. :)

Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson (wickedshizuku) | 100 comments Hud-c wrote: "Martha wrote: "Other books :D "

Wickedshizuku wrote: "Well I didn't finish this one. I just didn't have enough time to stop, but I will get it finished in the next 10 days or so.
If you're wonde..."

It truly was awesome another plus was that it was smut free. I'm so tired of romance that seems like it's more about bedroom play than the actual plot.

message 30: by Hud-c (new)

Hud-c | 438 comments Wickedshizuku wrote: "It truly was awesome another plus was that it was smut free. I'm so tired of romance that seems like it's more about bedroom play than the actual plot...."

Smut free? Something to look forward to.

Agreed. Sometimes the plot/the concept is truly ruined because of the romance. I don't mind sex scenes if its good, but for now I don't think I can tolerate it. That's why I'm reading so many SF novels, Crime fiction, etc. The whole romance thing is less or completely nothing.

message 31: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) Hud-c wrote: "Martha wrote: "Other books :D "

If you're wonde..."

ALl the books I read in December :D

message 32: by Hud-c (new)

Hud-c | 438 comments Martha wrote: "Hud-c wrote: "ALl the books I read in December :D
..."

Nice Martha. very specific. hahahha

I guess I just have to check your profile for that.

message 33: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) Hud-c wrote: "Martha wrote: "Hud-c wrote: "ALl the books I read in December :D
..."

Nice Martha. very specific. hahahha

I guess I just have to check your profile for that."

Hehe :D
I just did and it's actually a lot of good books! :D

message 34: by Hud-c (new)

Hud-c | 438 comments I marked 2 books from your collection. I'm adding that to what I'm going to read for my challenge this year. :)

message 35: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) Hud-c wrote: "I marked 2 books from your collection. I'm adding that to what I'm going to read for my challenge this year. :)"

Great! Which were they?

message 36: by Hud-c (new)

Hud-c | 438 comments Out of Breath by B. Richmond & the first on the Daughters of Zeus series by Kaitlin Bevis

message 37: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) They are good!

message 38: by Hud-c (new)

Hud-c | 438 comments The cover of the first book looks creepy, though.

I hope they're good. I read the blurb, sounds interesting. I just hope the mythology one won't disappoint me, I have read a book written by PC Cast which has a mythology theme, and I didn't finish it.

message 39: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) Yes it does!

I hope it doesn't either. I loved it but then again you're not me but give it chance :D