Matched (Matched, #1) Matched discussion

Is this Book any good?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 75) (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Teresa (new) - added it

Teresa I was just wondering what your thoughts were on the Book "Matched" by Ally Condie.
Right now I'm reading "Insurgent" (second book of "Divergent") I'm just trying to see if this particular Book is going to be worth the price and time to read it.
Suggestions would be GREAT.

Gabby I heard both good and bad things about this series.

Juliana Rodriguez This book is totally worth reading. I read this series first, then Divergent and both are almost the same! Of coarse, I think Divergent is better, but then again, it is worth paying for and reading!

Laura I read Matched after I had read The Hunger Games, and honestly I enjoyed Matched more. I have Crossed on my "to read" list and I had heard that it wasn't as good as her first.

Juliana Rodriguez Laura wrote: "I read Matched after I had read The Hunger Games, and honestly I enjoyed Matched more. I have Crossed on my "to read" list and I had heard that it wasn't as good as her first."

It isn't but I think it will help with the third book.

Laura I had heard that the third book is what the second book should have been.
Juliana wrote: "Laura wrote: "I read Matched after I had read The Hunger Games, and honestly I enjoyed Matched more. I have Crossed on my "to read" list and I had heard that it wasn't as good as her first."

It i..."

Tina J I loved Matched, but Crossed (2nd book in trilogy) was reallllly BAD!!!

If Ally Condie doesn't pull out a good final book....this trilogy will be a lost cause!
Which is a shame 'cause it 'could' have been great!

And btw, Veronica Roth's Divergent series is by far superior to the Matched series!

Wendy Naval I've read Matched and I can say that it's okay. Nothing exceptional for me but I'm giving Crossed a try. On the other hand, I love Divergent and Insurgent!! It was so good and I really enjoyed it :)

Juliana Rodriguez Laura wrote: "I had heard that the third book is what the second book should have been.
Juliana wrote: "Laura wrote: "I read Matched after I had read The Hunger Games, and honestly I enjoyed Matched more. I hav..."

I heard of that too.

April I haven't read Divergent or Insurgent, but I read Matched shortly after reading The hunger Games Trilogy and I like it almost as much as the trilogy!I still haven't read Crossed or Reached but they are on my "to-read" list and I plan on buying them and reading them soon. Matched was good. I really liked the world and the idea of the whole Society. It was an original idea and I think it's definitely worth the read :)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought this was a really boring and uninteresting novel. Apparently the 2nd one is even worse

Halle This book murdered the thought of literature.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, just a bit XD

message 14: by Halle (last edited Dec 02, 2012 10:38AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Halle Characters: Annoying (Sans Xander of course.)
Plot line: Incredibly common and dull.
Writing style: Excruciating to read.
Result: Me wanting to gouge out my eyes and send them to the author after going on an epic quest to burn all copies and insert viruses into the ebooks.

message 15: by Hannah (last edited Dec 02, 2012 11:38AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Hannah Just Halle wrote: "Characters: Annoying (Sans Xander of course.)
Plot line: Incredibly common and dull.
Writing style: Excruciating to read.
Result: Me wanting to gouge out my eyes and send them to the author after g..."

I'm in agreement with this. Except maybe the last part; I didn't hate it quite that much. XD But, yeah, I found this book to be extremely boring and unoriginal. The characters had no personality, and the plot went nowhere. Not worth it.

Sarah Matched certainly is not worth the price. The ideas in it are pretty unoriginal. It's a semi-interesting read I suppose, but nowhere near the level that Divergent is on. If you do plan on reading it, I suggest you get it from the library.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

To be honest, I have mixed feelings. It can in no way be compared to the Hunger Games or Divergent because its so much simpler than that. They are worlds away from this book.
What you have to know is that Its not complicated, its just another teen book with a dystopian spin. But maybe thats what youre looking for. I did enjoy it, just dont prepare to be amazed.

message 18: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah I read The Hunger Games and then this book. I really enjoyed both The Hunger Games and Matched. I haven't read the next two books of the Matched series yet, but I intend to soon. I tried reading Divergent. For some reason, I really could not get into it. It felt like when I was reading it, I was forcing myself to read it. I guess it's just me. I really don't know. I was hoping that I would like Divergent based upon similar books that I have read.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought it was really good

Amanda I found the set up to be interesting. Didn't like the main characters "love" for someone she barely knows and ignores someone she grew up with. (Tried to be as vague as possible.)

message 21: by Nici (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nici Turner Love it but it tore my heart into pieces at the end!! :'(

message 22: by Izzy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Izzy Yes! But it has a really sad ending! :(

message 23: by Nici (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nici Turner And the second book...ah dios mio

Courtney April wrote: "I haven't read Divergent or Insurgent, but I read Matched shortly after reading The hunger Games Trilogy and I like it almost as much as the trilogy!I still haven't read Crossed or Reached but they..."

It really isn't that original, actually. If you have ever read The Giver, the society is similar is many ways.

Teagan I loved it! It was suggested to me because I liked the Hunger Games. It's definately worth the read!

Amanda I loved this book so much! I was so amazingly done. I enjoyed the Society but I'm not the one who'd want to live there in a way, but You have to say some aspects of the Society are really good! But for some reasons I find a lot of people saying they don't like it...But Please Ignore Some Of That! Give The Book A Chance! Please!

Eugenia (Genie In A Book) Matched is a great novel. I loved the poetic edge and relationships between the characters and challenges to trust your friends and your heart. Yes, there was a love triangle which may seem cliched in this genre but overall it was a very satisfying read. The second book is very different but just as good and I can't wait to read the third

message 28: by EA (new) - rated it 5 stars

EA If you enjoy dystopia and young love, then I think you'll love the Matched series. I just re-read Matched and Crossed before reading the finale, Reached, and I enjoyed it just as much the second time. Reached has a bit less romance, but it does a great job of getting the characters where you need/want them to be and solving all the mysteries of the series. I totally recommend it. And the Delirium series as well, although the last book in the series hasn't been published yet.

message 29: by Dave (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dave Strider While I adored the idea of the Society, Cassia threw me off and the love triangle threw me off a bit, Cassia is dull and a kind of annoying. But I think overall its an alright book.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Dave wrote: "While I adored the idea of the Society, Cassia threw me off and the love triangle threw me off a bit, Cassia is dull and a kind of annoying. But I think overall its an alright book."

I agree, the society was such a great idea!! Just Cassia is just so boring!!

message 31: by Dave (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dave Strider Gaby wrote: "Dave wrote: "While I adored the idea of the Society, Cassia threw me off and the love triangle threw me off a bit, Cassia is dull and a kind of annoying. But I think overall its an alright book."

..."

Shes so,one dimensional.

Francine I thought it was very uninteresting. The idea sounded good when i read the cover which is why i picked it up. Thankfully i got it from the library so i could take it back.

Halle Please read my earlier comments.

message 34: by Rosie (new)

Rosie it was ok

Halle Uh-huh. And Ron Weasley was only a little ginger.

message 36: by Gaby (new) - rated it 1 star

Gaby Testa Matched was not good at all!!!!

Becky Beckster I loved the first one, hated the second one, bought the third one but have not read it yet. Not nearly the same level as Hunger Games or Divergent/Insurgent - loved those! I really liked Wither as an alternative.

message 38: by Estephanie (last edited Dec 14, 2012 08:22AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Estephanie This is book is good. I wish I could say more about Crossed...But I have found it to be rather dull.

Chiara I liked Matched, but it isn't nearly as good as Divergent (or Insurgent) or The Hunger Games. It is a nice book and it is certainly worth your time, but if you are looking for something like Divergent and The Hunger Games I would recommend Shatter me by Tahereh Mafi.

C.penn Divergent-amazing
Matched--kill me, please

I strongly suggest, that you read Delirium, if you're looking for a love/dystopian story. Far more interesting character wise. Matched is interesting in a that dull, squeaky clean kind of way, as in, like, a 13 or 11 yr old could read it. I found the second one excruiating and gave up. But, please read other dystopian novels like

Wither-Laura Destefano (I have a review if interested)
Partials-Dan Well
Blood Red Road- Moira Young
Forsaken (it's sort of like a bastard child of divergent and hunger games combined, I wasn't in love with it, but it's an option for sure)
Starters-Lissa Price (really, really, loved the action in this one! I also have a review of this one as well,)

C.penn OMG I forgot Defiance -CJ Redwine
Masque of the Red Death-Bethany Griffin

I have reviews of both, and they are AMAZING. I love,love,love them!

message 42: by Isy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Isy H. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iyanna Its a good book. It is similar to the book called the Giver. The romance is cute ( kind of predictable), overall its a good book.

Ilana i think that it's definitely worth the read. it's a good spin on dystopian YA lit...and if you like insurgent and hunger games type stories then you'll like this series as well.

i found that i liked MATCHED a lot, CROSSED a little less, but then really enjoyed it the 2nd time i read it and REACHED was a great ending to the series.

message 45: by Eve (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve Kacz YES! Worth it! Great, capturing and riveting story!

message 46: by Ikao (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ikao I enjoyed read Matched, but not much. The story was too slow, but turned quite good in the middle of book. Haven't read Crossed, it haven't been published in my country yet.

message 47: by Marwah (new) - added it

Marwah  Alhosani Matched was very enjoyable, on the other hand I just finished crossed and I have to say it was a bit boring in some parts but the ending was interesting.
I just bought reached and I have yet to read it but I'm hoping it's better than crossed

Kristen Tarzwell I loved the first book, was unable to make it through the first time I tried reading the second book however.

message 49: by Eric (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eric I read the Hunger Games and the Insurgent Divergent series and then I read Matched. I agree that it is not as well developed as these other books but it is certainly worth the money and time it took to read. It is different than the other books although they all have very similar story lines. I'm done with the second book also and as long as I keep in mind that it's a middle book and neither an ending or beginning it was just fine for what it was.

message 50: by Vee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vee Gretzinger worst book ever. don't read it.

« previous 1