Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads discussion

BoM (Archived) > March: The Darkest Night -> Ch 1 - Ch 7

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 1167 comments Mod
This is where we discuss chapters 1-7. NO SPOILERS.

message 2: by Jessi (new)

Jessi  (jessim) Is any reading this book? I just read it a few weeks ago and thought that it was really good!

message 3: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Sort of, I started (couple pages lol) but got into another book for this month that has me hooked!

I will be picking it up again here in the next couple days :D

message 4: by Wendy (new)

Wendy  (wendyhill) | 5 comments I did read it awhile back and thought it was really good. I loved the main characters in it. I'm trying not to type anything that would be a spoiler...

message 5: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

If you want to talk about the book with spoilers we have a thread for that :D
Its the one with the end of the book listed in the header :D

message 6: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Ok I just finished chapter 7 and this book is really slow to me.

I am having a hard time remember what demon is in who and having to go back to page 15 to read them.

Having hard time getting into the story.

message 7: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 232 comments I remember when I started reading the first book of this series, I actually got a piece of paper and wrote down the name of every Lord and the demon that possessed them.

message 8: by Jessi (new)

Jessi  (jessim) Tricia wrote: "Ok I just finished chapter 7 and this book is really slow to me.

I am having a hard time remember what demon is in who and having to go back to page 15 to read them.

Having hard time getting into..."

I had to do the same thing! Couldn't remember which demon was which! I did enjoy the book though, thought is was cute with a good ending.

message 9: by Yz the Whyz (last edited Mar 12, 2009 12:02PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 232 comments Jessi,

"Cute" that's the word I would apply to LOTU series, even though its supposed to be filled with dark, angst-filled warriors..LOL. I think the 2nd book is the "cutest"..Anya and Lucien..that is based on the 3 books I've read so far...LOL.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 168 comments LOL, yeah The Darkest Kiss is the cutest and the The Darkest Night was my least favorite. What can I say, I'm a sucker for the dark tortured guys, so I loved The Darkest Pleasure. And I'm actually growing quite attached to some of the other Lords like Torin, Kane, Gideon and Paris.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 276 comments You know, I think Jessi just hit it. I thought the LOTU guys were tortured, especially poor Reyes in book 3... but that was before I stared reading Black Dagger Brotherhood. Now THOSE guys are tortured!

Jamie ~ Bad Boy Inspector (jamie_badboyinspector) I really enjoyed this book. I can't wait to dive in to the next one. Has anyone read The Darkest Fire. I seen somewhere that it took place before The Darkest Knight.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 168 comments I have the prequel on audiobook, but I haven't listened to it yet.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 276 comments Ditto, DarkHeart. I've got the e-book, but I haven't read it yet.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

i am not sure i fi like the book yet... its ok so far.. i cant say i love it or hate it..

all puzzled on this one lol

message 16: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) I'm mid chapter 3 right now, so not too far in, but am feeling a bit of desa-vu (sp?) with BDB.

I've been writing down the warriors/demons as I've been going along too. I'm sure by the end of the book I'll remember but for now - I need the reminder.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 168 comments It must only be me that didn't really feel the connection with the BDB. (A friend told me that there was a big backlash in some circles last year against Showalter as they thought she basically just reshaped Ward's work to fit her story). However, I thought Adrian's Midnight Breed series was very BDB like (I enjoyed that series a lot more than this one as well).

message 18: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 232 comments I'm with you, DarkHeart. I think Adrian's work is way closer to the BDB world. I've always called the Midnight Breed series BDB-lite..LOL

Except for the tortured warrior syndrome and them living in the same compound, I thought Showalter's take is different. I mean, you have demons, you have Pandora's box, etc, which is not in the same ballpark as Ward's BDB world. But then that is just me...maybe I just don't feel the similarities.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 168 comments Yeah, and there's the two different groups, and all of their demons bring something different to their characters. It's quite an interesting premise and I look forward to the next book - whenever it's released.

message 20: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9 comments I like the storyline with 2 different groups that come together. However, I feel like she has too many characters to keep track and it gets confusing at time. It makes it feel like we can't really know each of them fully when there are that many.

message 21: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 232 comments That was the exact impression I had at the very beginning of the series. Too many characters, I thought, as I wrote them down, trying to match warriors with their demons. After a while though, I just sort of ignored it and continued reading.

I'm still looking forward to Book4 when it comes out.

message 22: by new_user (new)

new_user I think BDB is less trite than this series. While BDB has its sappy moments, there is a lot of development of characters, grim enemies, and urban/modern elements to take it away from the typical romance formula. This series, on the other hand, seems to be more the typical formula + a little manly angst, LOL.

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 276 comments Hmmm. I haven't been re-reading this along with you guys, but I don't remember having trouble keeping up with the characters. I will admit to reading this series (so far) before starting BDB. I think if I'd read them the other way 'round, I'd've found LotU a little different. I dunno, more fluffy romance than urban angst?

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) I read the first 8 pages of this book last night. (Certainly not enough to form an opinion, but clearly it didnt' draw me in immediately either.)

You guys aren't making it sound all that exciting... is it worth it to continue when I have about a gajillion other books screaming at me from various surfaces of my bedroom?

message 25: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) I'm not sure yet Nichole. I'm mid chapter 7 & haven't been drawn into it either.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

its a ok story worth finishing. once u have started i hear the next book is alot better.. i am not having a issue remembering who is who with what demon.. i like the idea there not vampires. but have demon's that's.. cool. i was talking to my friend she loved it.. so i am going to finish it.. i want to know how it ends.. i think y some people arnt in to it is because there isn't a lot of hot steamy sex.. i am not in love with the book yet but its a cute story... i am not done yet.. but will be soon.. :)

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) I read the first five chapters this morning and I'm liking it so far.
Better than Night Embrace, which I started last night and am already bored silly by. I'm really giving Sherrilyn Kenyon the old college try but the more I read the more I'm convinced she's just not for me.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

i havent read any Sherrilyn Kenyon books yet but i hear she is good.... i finished the book last night i liked the ending.. it was good i thought but i will not tell what happens.. :)

message 29: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 56 comments I didnt have trouble keeping track of the Demons but I think the next one is goign to be better