Reading with Style discussion

33 views
RwS (Winter 12/13) > 10.5 - World Thinking Day

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz M (new)

Liz M 10.5 - In recognition of World Thinking Day, February 22nd, read one of the top 250 on the Most Influential Books list.


message 2: by Liz M (last edited Dec 02, 2012 08:36AM) (new)

Liz M For this task, if an author has "complete works" listed, I am not going to allow a single work. For example, Shakespeare's Complete works is a single entry, but he also has several plays listed individually. Hamlet is acceptable (listed individually), but The Tempest is not (only included under the complete works).

ETA: If a series is listed, such as The Chronicles of Narnia, any of the series books are acceptable.

Why allow series but not an item from the complete works?
The difference is that a series is a finite, discrete set of books, while complete works (especially for older authors) is an enormous number of reprints and collections and excepts.


message 3: by Denise (new)

Denise | 1063 comments Liz M wrote: "For this season, if an author has "complete works" listed, I am not going to allow a single work. For example, Shakespeare's Complete works is a single entry, but he also has several plays listed ..."

Will this apply to Canon rules also, or only this particular task? For example, Bloom simply lists "Plays and Poems" for Shakespeare.


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 8468 comments D wrote: "Will this apply to Canon rules also, or only this particular task? For example, Bloom simply lists "Plays and Poems" for Shakespeare. "

The Canon is accepted for individual titles.


message 5: by Denise (new)

Denise | 1063 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "The Canon is accepted for individual titles."

Ok, thanks.


message 6: by Liz M (last edited Dec 02, 2012 08:36AM) (new)

Liz M D wrote: "Liz M wrote: "For this season, if an author has "complete works" listed, I am not going to allow a single work. For example, Shakespeare's Complete works is a single entry, but he also has several..."

Ooops, I meant to say for this task. And I've added a further explanation.


message 7: by Denise (new)

Denise | 1063 comments Liz M wrote: "Ooops, I meant to say for this task. And I've added a further explanation. "

Thanks, Liz. I figured you meant only this task, but thought it would be good to get a clarification.


message 8: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 3140 comments So are individual books in the Bible count as a part of a co,plete set or a series?


message 9: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Rebekah wrote: "So are individual books in the Bible count as a part of a co,plete set or a series?"

Unless the individual books of the Bible are on the list, the Bible is considered a single book.


message 10: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 3140 comments Ok


back to top