The Sword and Laser discussion

J.R.R. Tolkien
This topic is about J.R.R. Tolkien
2012 Reads > TH: Tolkien's Letter to German Publisher (1938)

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daran (new)

Daran | 599 comments http://www.lettersofnote.com/2012/03/...

I first read this letter in The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien (worth reading all on its own, he was gifted letter writer) and it endeared Tolkien to me as a person as well as an author. While we debate the story and characters, I thought it might be useful to remember the historical context in which The Hobbit was published.

I would also point out that, published in September 1937, this is the oldest book this group has done. I think it holds up remarkably well. It's certainly less stuffy than Foundation.

message 2: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments Wonderful reply

message 3: by Hershel (new)

Hershel Shipman (Hershdawg) | 43 comments I love that he calls them out on their lack of actual knowledge.

message 4: by Victor Hugo (new)

Victor Hugo Kebbe (vhkebbe) | 33 comments Yeah, everyone who wants to read more and more about Tolkien's works should read The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, because this book has some amazing anecdotes, especially those ones when he replies some of his readers.

message 5: by Melisa (new)

Melisa | 7 comments What a fantastic reply. It's amazing that Tolkien wrote such enduring stories, and his letter reminded me as well, of the intense global climate of the time.

message 6: by Greg (new)

Greg | 82 comments Darren wrote: "Why did he write two letters, though?"

Probably because he didn't trust his publisher to send the one above.