Beyond Reality discussion

Lord Valentine's Castle (Lord Valentine, #1)
This topic is about Lord Valentine's Castle
Previous Books of the Month > Lord Valentine's Castle: Roll Call and Initial Impressions (*No Spoilers Please*)

Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick, Moderator (new)

Nick (doily) | 934 comments Mod
Please let us know if you're reading, planning to read, or have read Lord Valentine's Castle by Robert Silverberg.

No Spoilers in this topic please!

Kerry (rocalisa) | 479 comments I've read this before and loved it. I'm hoping to get the time this month to use the group read as an excuse to reread it.

message 3: by Nick, Moderator (last edited Dec 01, 2012 03:12PM) (new)

Silverberg was one of my first favorite authors. My introduction to sci-fi came in the early seventies when Silverberh was an "up-and-coming." There were several critics at the time who scratched their head at Silverberg -- one, whose words I remember but whose name escapes me, said that Silverberg owed his career to the editor Terry Carr who anthologized his stories often and put him in a "Best Sci Fi Stories of the Year" anthology almost every year. Those anthologies were among my first sci-fi reads, and I loved the Silverberg stories in them.

His novels, though, left me a little cold. This group read Dying Inside a few years back and I think I could read a little mystification amongst the readers that reflected my own at Silverberg's "sci-fi" masterpiece.

So at the end of the '70's when Silverberg turned to "fantasy" (of sorts) with the "Valentine" books, and they got only lukewarm reviews, I decided to give him up. For that reason, I don't know if I will be joining in the discussion this month or not. To tell the truth, I don't know who the lukewarm reviews for the "Valentine" books came from. There was a huge resurgence of Sword-and-Sorcery at the time influenced mainly by the "Star Wars" phenomenon that turned sci-fi in that direction and away from the philosophical/psychological stance that Silverberg usually took. I'm not sure how "Valentine..." fits into all that. So it might be worth a go.

I'm glad to see there are those in the group who love this book, though.

Daniel Roy (triseult) Looking forward to this one. I've read only a little Silverberg--notably, The Passengers and Dying Inside. I LOVED Dying Inside. I realize this one will be a very different beast, but I'm confident Silverberg's book will be worth it regardless. :)

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim Mcclanahan (clovis-man) | 434 comments I've been aware of this book since it was first published and always thought I would read it. But I never got to it although some of my favorite stories were by Silverberg. I have a copy in hand, so, if not sidetracked elsewhere, I may give it a go finally.

Brenda ╰☆╮    (Brnda) | 82 comments I'm joining in with this book!
It's an old favorite...really old.
I can't quite remember the details. it will be interesting reading along with others.

message 7: by Kathi, Moderator (new)

Kathi | 2266 comments Mod
Read this (and other Majipoor books) back when they were published. My very poor memory tells me I liked them, but that's about all I recall. Will be following the discussion but not rereading.

message 8: by Shel (new)

Shel (shel99) | 1453 comments I've liked the Silverberg that I've read and would like to get to this one of these days, but I have too much going on this month. Another time, maybe,

message 9: by Rob (last edited Dec 02, 2012 03:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob | 5 comments hi there,

first time doing a read-along with a Goodreads group. i am a self-proclaimed "lit fan" and have been reading the genre for many decades.

like others, i have read "Lord Valentine's Castle" many times before. the book is like an old friend to me, so i look forward to following the adventures of Valentine's merry troupe once more. :)

Akalle         | 4 comments I loved it when I read it a while back. It's one of those books where I remember buying it and opening it up for the first time. Stuck with me as something special, although I can't say I remember more than a few scenes.

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments Akalle wrote: "I loved it when I read it a while back. It's one of those books where I remember buying it and opening it up for the first time. Stuck with me as something special, although I can't say I remember ..."

The same with me. I can only remember bites and parts of the climax.

Brenda ╰☆╮    (Brnda) | 82 comments LOL.....a lot of us seem to have read this book....but can't remember the details.

it must not be encouraging to those who haven't read it....but honestly, this was my favorite of the series.

I hope to discover why this time around.

For one thing...I really like Valentine.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I read this a long time ago and it has never left my shelf (time for a reread?). I can remember this wonderful passage (forgive me if I've misquoted):

"Time is never wasted. Wherever we go, whatever we do, everything is an aspect of education. Even if we don't immediately grasp the lesson."

For this reason (and others I'm sure), Silverberg has struck a chord in me. A truly under appreciated writer from what I gather.

Random (rand0m1s) | 596 comments I found the narrator for the audiobook of The Back Prism intolerable (and I'm pretty tolerant), so I dumped it for the ebook and grabbed the audio of Lord Valentine's Castle. Started it on my way in to work this morning.

Philip Athans (PhilAthans) | 62 comments I read this last year and have been working my way (slowly, as is typical of me) through the rest of the series, currently on the third book, Valentine Pontifex -- I've already started to post over on the spoilers thread.

I can't recommend this book enough -- READ IT!

message 16: by Nick, Moderator (new)

Steve wrote: "I read this a long time ago and it has never left my shelf (time for a reread?). I can remember this wonderful passage (forgive me if I've misquoted):

"Time is never wasted. Wherever we go, whate..."

...Silverberg has struck a chord in me. A truly under appreciated writer from what I gather.

I couldn't agree with you more. Even in the '70's novels which mystified me, I always felt something that "struck a chord" as you say.

message 17: by Nick, Moderator (new)

Philip wrote: "I read this last year and have been working my way (slowly, as is typical of me) through the rest of the series, currently on the third book, Valentine Pontifex -- I've already started to post over..."

Does the first book, the one we are reading, stand alone?

Kerry (rocalisa) | 479 comments Nick wrote: "Does the first book, the one we are reading, stand alone?"

Nick - yes it does. Completely.

Philip Athans (PhilAthans) | 62 comments Nick wrote: "Philip wrote: "I read this last year and have been working my way (slowly, as is typical of me) through the rest of the series, currently on the third book, Valentine Pontifex -- I've already start..."

It does stand alone. This is (so far at least) one of those series of sequels rather than a giant novel split up into several books.

message 20: by mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

mark monday (happyendoftheworid) | 109 comments reread this one because of this group. very happy i did! still excellent the second time around, so many years later.