Shut Up & Read discussion

Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2)
This topic is about Days of Blood & Starlight
Archives > Days of Blood & Starlight by Laini Taylor

Comments (showing 1-50 of 263) (263 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sheri | 10850 comments Mod
Starting this Monday! I'm SO excited!! I've been looking forward to this one for months :D

message 2: by Alyssia, Pony Power (new) - rated it 3 stars

Alyssia (alyssiarowan) | 2465 comments Mod
Me too! I am so excited!

message 3: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leigh | 11245 comments Mod
I can't wait to share this with y'all!

message 4: by Alyssia, Pony Power (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hey Leigh, did you get your book? :D

message 5: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 5 stars

I beat both of you. I signed up for Audible just to get this book. I have listened to it and I am ready to listen to it again. This series is like the Fever series, I don't think I will ever get enough of it.

message 6: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leigh wrote: "I beat both of you. I signed up for Audible just to get this book. I have listened to it and I am ready to listen to it again. This series is like the Fever series, I don't think I will ever get en..."

Lol! I thought about doing that. I'd love the audio of this, too. I got tired of waiting for my library copy so I finally bought it. Came in the mail today!

message 7: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 5 stars

How many chapters/day?

message 8: by Alyssia, Pony Power (new) - rated it 3 stars

Not that one :)
Check your email! :-P

As for Daughter of Smoke and Bone:
I have another 2 weeks of school, but I think I can handle whatever pace you want to set now that the other stuff has wrapped up.

message 9: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 5 stars

I signed up for a trial membership for Audible. It was $7.49/month for the first 3 months. I can see that Audible could be addictive.

message 10: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

You only get one book a month though, right?

message 11: by Alyssia, Pony Power (new) - rated it 3 stars

Audio books just creep me out. Still. Lol.
But Leigh, please check your email. I'm nervous :D

message 12: by Sheri, Princess of Power (last edited Dec 01, 2012 12:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Some of them aren't so great. I've been listening to
I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1) by Pittacus Lore The Power of Six (Lorien Legacies, #2) by Pittacus Lore The Rise of Nine (Lorien Legacies, #3) by Pittacus Lore
and I almost quit because I can't stand the narrator. I think the last book in the series when it comes out I'll read instead.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone was great as audio.

message 13: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

If you ever wanted to try an audio book (that wasn't too creepy) I would suggest Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher to start with. It was excellent.

message 14: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sheri wrote: "You only get one book a month though, right?"

Yes but they always have sales. I got another audio for $4.95. I probably won't keep it after the trial period.

message 15: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alyssia wrote: "Audio books just creep me out. Still. Lol.
But Leigh, please check your email. I'm nervous :D"

What am I looking for in my email?

message 16: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'll have to check into it.

message 17: by Alyssia, Pony Power (new) - rated it 3 stars

I bought you a birthday present. You didn't get it?
/calls Barnes and Noble

message 18: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

When was your birthday Leigh? Happy Birthday!

message 19: by Alyssia, Pony Power (new) - rated it 3 stars

It should be appearing shortly Leigh. I used the email you used to register for Elfster.
It was yesterday, Sheri.
I'm such a stalker :D
(Just kidding ... it's in her Elfster profile.)

message 20: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alyssia wrote: "I bought you a birthday present. You didn't get it?
/calls Barnes and Noble"

I didn't recieve an email. That was very sweet. Thank you, Alyssia.

message 21: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sheri wrote: "When was your birthday Leigh? Happy Birthday!"

Yesterday. Thank you.

message 22: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

So this is another long one, over 500 pages so I think we'll need to break it up into at leasts seven days instead of five just so everyone can keep up. Seven days would be 11 chapters a day, roughly 75 pages a day. Would that work for you two or is that too much? We could break it down more if we need to.

message 23: by Alyssia, Pony Power (new) - rated it 3 stars

I can theoretically do that. It's dead week, so I'd be okay with a slower pace, but I'm sure I won't feel that way after I start reading.

message 24: by Alyssia, Pony Power (new) - rated it 3 stars

And Leigh- still nothing? I called them and they resent it... That was yesterday when I asked you about it.

message 25: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alyssia wrote: "And Leigh- still nothing? I called them and they resent it... That was yesterday when I asked you about it."

I still haven't received anything.

message 26: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sheri wrote: "So this is another long one, over 500 pages so I think we'll need to break it up into at leasts seven days instead of five just so everyone can keep up. Seven days would be 11 chapters a day, roug..."

I can do 11 chapters/day.

message 27: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ok, sounds good. I figured once I get into it I won't want to put it down :)

message 28: by Alyssia, Pony Power (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yes, I suspect it will be the same for me. I loved the first book. I hope this one can follow through.

message 29: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 5 stars

I think both of you will be happy with this book except for the fact we will have to wait awhile for the next one. OMG!!

Clare dooley (claredooley) Is this like the fever series in regards to its just amazing & it ending is worse than white shoes after Labor Day? Or is it similar to the fever series? I have the first book in this series but I've been holding out, 2 if the 3 being out I just know I'll read them both & then be bugging out... But.. If it really is as good as I've heard why have I even waited this long? Ladies tell me straight, is it torture to wait?

Clare dooley (claredooley) Yeah we'll I read the sample n ended up downloading the book, I've done it again, started a series that isn't finished... But the sample was good, really good? I figured I'm like always waiting, matter if fact I'm waiting for so many things... What's one more to the list? Maybe I'll finish today & I can join you in reading book 2? Guess I'll see how it goes:) enjoy your day

message 32: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new) - rated it 5 stars

Clare, I hope you enjoy Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor. I having been singing its praises since I listen to audio. I loved it and had to buy Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #2) by Laini Taylor.
Join the club, I have many series waiting on the next installment. I have started a thread with my series reads so I can keep track of them.

message 33: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

Clare, Daughter of Smoke and Bone is one of my favorite books ever! Nothing like Fever, no comparison even.

message 34: by Alyssia, Pony Power (new) - rated it 3 stars

Clare, it would be great to have you join us. And the first book, like Sheri said, is PHENOMENAL.

---
1-11:
ohmygoshohmygosh.
It was amazing to me how easily I slipped back into the world, like no time had passed. I love Taylor's prose, although so far, I think Daughter of Smoke and Bone was prettier. Also, DoS&B and DoB&S - what do you think the last one will be called? Sorry, random aside.
(view spoiler)

What are you guys thinking?

Clare dooley (claredooley) Omg I've been reading all day I'm like entranced, it's so descriptive! The imagery is... Ohh I'm going to be so bummed when I come back to reality, even my cat won't help:) I'm totally falling for this book, it may be love

message 36: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chpts 1-11
I absolutely love Taylor's writing. She has such a way with words and an imagination. The cakewalk? Love it! Pee balloons? Wish I had thought of it! And, I absolutely love Zuzana. I'm glad we are getting to see more of her in this book.

(view spoiler)

By the way, I adore books with maps!

message 37: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm reading tomorrow's now since I probably won't have much reading time tomorrow and I'm not ready to put it down yet :D

message 38: by Alyssia, Pony Power (new) - rated it 3 stars

Haha!! HAHAHAHAH!
I love your (view spoiler)
You are so awesome.
I might read some more tonight too, since I have class until late tomorrow.

message 39: by Alyssia, Pony Power (new) - rated it 3 stars

Also, do you get the feeling the later chapters are going to be very long? You estimated 75 pages a day ... but, we're soooo not there.

message 40: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yeah, I noticed that. I was just doing the math and breaking them up evenly. But these chapters were only a couple of pages each...so, I guess we should just read more now :D

message 41: by Alyssia, Pony Power (new) - rated it 3 stars

Haha. Make up my mind lady. :)

message 42: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

I was thinking about what you said about this book being not as prosey (yes, I just made that word up) and pretty....do you think it's because we are in Akiva's head right now instead of Karou's. Perhaps if she goes back to Karou's POV later in the book the writing style will change?

message 43: by Alyssia, Pony Power (new) - rated it 3 stars

I think it might have something to do with female vs. male. I noticed that even the short stint in the other angel's head (oh, can't think .. the one who was ambushed) had some prosey (:D) quality to it.
But Zuze doesn't. Then again, Zuze is a more "masculine" character, in some ways, and is represented as such.

Sooo: conclusion: maybe. :D

message 44: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

Glad that's settled then :D

Off to read now. Talk with you later!

message 45: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oooh...things just got interesting :)

message 46: by Alyssia, Pony Power (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ahhh! Where are you?
What is this interesting you speak of?

Clare dooley (claredooley) Just want to say ahhh this is bliss! Thank you so much for tempting me into reading this with your completely contagious excitement ! Where are you guys @ in the book now? I want to ask your opinions on some stuff but this is my first time reading with others & I'm a ticking spoiler bomb . When you guys stop for the night or wherever you leave off will you let me know ? Thanks

message 48: by Alyssia, Pony Power (new) - rated it 3 stars

Clare- we're on the second book. Aren't you on the first? Or have you moved forward already?

message 49: by Alyssia, Pony Power (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leigh, Sheri and I did a buddy read on the first one a few months ago. It's still around if you're interested in our reactions. :)

Clare dooley (claredooley) I finished the first to day & moved right onto the next, I've just never done an actual group read before:) sometimes if I start a book I love I can't stop so maybe I could make this last a bit longer if I pace myself with you ladies

« previous 1 3 4 5 6