Webcomic Wonderland discussion

Minor Acts of Heroism: Play Date (M.A.O.H., #1)
This topic is about Minor Acts of Heroism
Webcomic Discussions > December- Minor Acts of Heroism

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kristen | 1179 comments Minor Acts of Heroism is the winner of this month's poll! Discuss Minor Acts of Heroism here!

Mike | 1499 comments Mod
Minor Acts of Heroism was a great surprise for me when I received it as my Secret Santa webcomic a couple months ago. It's got great style, pace, characters, dialog, etc. There are four "regular comic" sized issues so far.

Full review.

Here are a few discussion questions to start us out (Please remember to use spoiler tags as appropriate to your answer, even if the question didn't contain spoilers. Thanks!) :

1) What do you think of the cast? How likable or not does Simon come across to you?

2) What did you like best about the comic? Least?
I find these two questions particularly interesting when they are opposite your general opinion (ie what you liked least in a comic you loved and vice versa).

3) As I mentioned above, one of the things I really enjoy in MAoH is the dialog. Do you agree? If so do you have any favorite quotes?

message 3: by Kristen (last edited Dec 06, 2012 11:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristen | 1179 comments Mike wrote: "Minor Acts of Heroism was a great surprise for me when I received it as my Secret Santa webcomic a couple months ago."

That was me by the way.

1. I love the entire cast. Simon seems like he should be annoying, but he isn't. I think his blunt, impulsive behavior is endearing.

2. The dialog. It is so good! It feels incredibly realistic. Each character interacts with the other characters in a different way: the kids act differently with the adults than they do with each other. The dialog is also incredibly funny. When I was rereading it last night, I constantly found myself giggling uncontrollably. The only bad things I can say about the comic are 1. I wish it updated more often and 2. Sometimes a long exchange of dialog will be done in one panel. I think some of these exchanges might have more impact if they were broken up into smaller panels. That is seriously all of the "bad" things I can say about this comic.

3. Ha. See answer #2. As far as favorite quotes(some of these are kinda spoilery, so I just hid them all):
(view spoiler)

One last thing I want to point out. The name Everywhere? Genius.

Mike | 1499 comments Mod
Kristen wrote: "That was me by the way."

I had a very strong suspicion about that. Thanks!!! :)

1. Same here. Simon is so well done - just slightly to the right side of the line before he'd go from rambunctious and endearing to completely obnoxious.

2. The update schedule and an odd bit of pacing here and there are all I can really come up with as criticisms. Great comic all around.

3. Those are all fantastic(particularly the babysitting one). Here are some other favorites of mine (from memory, so probably won't be exact):

(view spoiler)

One last thing I want to point out. The name Everywhere? Genius.

So much so I'm amazed I haven't seen it before for a hero.

Kristen | 1179 comments Mike wrote: "So much so I'm amazed I haven't seen it before for a hero."

It seems like such an obvious name when you think about it. Imagine you've fighting this guy who's teleporting all over the place. Somebody is bound to say "He's everywhere!".

He's everywhere. He's Everywhere.

It's so clever!

message 6: by Kayleigh (last edited Dec 06, 2012 10:52PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kayleigh | 195 comments I couldn't believe how fast MAoH sucked me in. When I started it the other night, I was just planning on reading one chapter a day until I got caught up. Instead, I blew through the archive in one night. It didn't hurt that the chapters are fairly short and the story incredibly engrossing, but still I wasn't expecting to finish it so fast. Now I'm impatiently waiting for the next issue to start...

My answers to the discussion questions (great idea btw):
1)We haven't been given much information about the cast yet, but they seem an interesting bunch and I can't wait to find out more about them. Simon is obnoxious and self-centered, but strangely lovable. Even though he says some pretty mean things sometimes, it doesn't bother me--maybe because I get the strong impression that his caustic remarks stem more from thoughtlessness and lack of tact than from actual malice. Nilus is both adorable and terrifying (always a good combination), and I'm super jealous of Sergio--I've always wanted to live in a creepy old mansion.
2)Favorite thing about the comic: The witty dialogue and the relationships between characters. Least favorite thing: the update schedule. I honestly can't think of any real complaints other than that.
3) There are so many great quotes in this comic, it's hard to choose. You guys have already listed many of my favorites, but here are a couple more:
(view spoiler)

Mike | 1499 comments Mod
Kayleigh wrote: "...maybe because I get the strong impression that his caustic remarks stem more from thoughtlessness and lack of tact than from actual malice..."

I think you hit the nail on the head here. He's not mean just for the sake of it, which makes all the difference.

The subtleties of the characters are really impressive, and there's a ton of nuance in simple scenes. My favorite example: (view spoiler)

Kayleigh | 195 comments Mike wrote: "Kayleigh wrote: "...maybe because I get the strong impression that his caustic remarks stem more from thoughtlessness and lack of tact than from actual malice..."

I think you hit the nail on the h..."

I love that about this comic as well--that the characters and their relationships are so well established in such a short period of time and without a lot of lengthy explanations needed--instead, the creators trust their audience to observe the characters' actions and body language and figure those things out for themselves. I find that the "show don't tell" rule is especially important in visual storytelling, and here it's done beautifully.

Kristen | 1179 comments I love the "show, don't tell" rule. There are so many comics out there that don't follow it well and it's nice to read one that does.

Kristen | 1179 comments MAoH has been updating so regularly lately! It's wonderful :) I love the most recent pages: I think that Cornelius is HILARIOUS.

Kristen | 1179 comments Also, as a side not, they are auctioning off a couple original pages to fund reprinting some books for con season. I WANT THE NILUS TRANSFORMATION ONE.

message 12: by Mike (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike | 1499 comments Mod
Kristen wrote: "MAoH has been updating so regularly lately! It's wonderful :) I love the most recent pages: I think that Cornelius is HILARIOUS."

I think I somehow missed half of issue four, as I went back to catch up and have no recollection of most of it. Weird, since I definitely remember the ending cliffhanger with Everywhere, and it's not like it was inconsequential or forgettable.

Anyway, having "re"-read 4 and caught up on 5 I totally agree. :) The comic is still in top form and going strong.