The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

127 views
TASK HELP Winter 2012-2013 > 25.14 - Kate S's Task - New Year, New Authors!

Comments (showing 1-26 of 26) (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Dec 01, 2012 01:17PM) (new)

Sandy | 12665 comments Mod
25.14 - Kate S's Task - New Year, New Authors!

I love finding new authors and Goodreads offers a variety of tools to help readers find authors we are more likely to enjoy than just plucking books off the shelf at our local library or bookstore. So for this task we are going to use of these tools and discover (or rediscover) authors we may enjoy. Preferred: Since the goal of this task is to help you find new authors, it is preferred that you try out authors who are new to you.

First pick a favorite author. Go to their author page here on Goodreads. Scroll down to under their bio and click on the “similar authors” link (this is right under the grey box reading Author’s Books all the way on the right). Similar author

Now pick two authors off the list of “similar authors” and read a book by each of them.

Both authors should come from the same original author’s “similar to” list. If you can’t find two authors you want to use off your first choice favorite author, try another favorite author.
REQUIRED: Include a link to the original author's GR page in your post.


message 2: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Reserved


message 3: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Reserved


message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 12665 comments Mod
This thread is now open!


message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (Ms_Anderson) | 1481 comments This is fun! Does it matter if we've read books by the similar authors before?

Ex. If I use Ellen Hopkins, Gail Giles comes up. I've read a book by her, but I also own another book of hers I haven't read. Could I still use Gail Giles?


message 6: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (Chaitra_Ganesh) | 520 comments I have a similar question. My favorite author is Jane Austen, and one of the authors similar to her is Charlotte Brontë. I've read Jane Eyre before, but I really want to re-read it this challenge. Could I use that for one of the books here?


message 7: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2956 comments I found it hard to pick out new authors. I am such-a-stuck-the-mud that I wanted to select authors from the list that I knew. So, in the spirit of the task, I decided to look for authors who had a book on my TBR list, which gave me a bit more courage to try someone new.

For Michael Connelly, I found 5 writers - Robert Crais, Scott Turow, John Connolly, James Lee Burke and Michael Koryta. Now to decide which two...


message 8: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 12665 comments Mod
Bea wrote: "For Michael Connelly, I found 5 writers - Robert Crais, Scott Turow, John Connolly, James Lee Burke and Michael Koryta."

I haven't read the other authors, but I like Scott Turow's books.


message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 6365 comments ohhh soo many authors to choose from...lol!


message 10: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2956 comments Sandy wrote: "Bea wrote: "For Michael Connelly, I found 5 writers - Robert Crais, Scott Turow, John Connolly, James Lee Burke and Michael Koryta."

I haven't read the other authors, but I like Scott Turow's books."


I have been planning to read Presumed Innocent for several challenges since I own it. So this might just be the task that I get it done.


message 11: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (Chaitra_Ganesh) | 520 comments Oh, duh. Kate, never mind my question above. I completely missed the heading of the task and the part where you wanted us to find new authors. I can be so dumb!


message 12: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Ms Anderson wrote: "This is fun! Does it matter if we've read books by the similar authors before?

Ex. If I use Ellen Hopkins, Gail Giles comes up. I've read a book by her, but I also own another book of hers I have..."


Yes, that's fine. The idea is to try someone new, but I continue to view authors as new even if I have read a book or two by them. :)


message 13: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Bea wrote: "I found it hard to pick out new authors. I am such-a-stuck-the-mud that I wanted to select authors from the list that I knew. So, in the spirit of the task, I decided to look for authors who had ..."

This is a great way to approach the task! I hope you find something you enjoy. I know I liked Presumed Innocent and several others by Turow. I have not read anything in the last five years or so by the other authors, so I have a hard time making any suggestions.


message 14: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Chaitra wrote: "Oh, duh. Kate, never mind my question above. I completely missed the heading of the task and the part where you wanted us to find new authors. I can be so dumb!"

No worries, hope you find something new to try and a place for Jane Eyre-I, too, love that book and enjoy re-reading it from time to time.


message 15: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (SheilaJ) | 2090 comments Thanks Kate for pointing out this feature in goodreads. I've never noticed it before.


message 16: by Mrs.soule (new)

Mrs.soule (Mrssoule) | 755 comments I'm with Sheila on this - thank you!


message 17: by Kate S (new)

Kate S You are welcome. It is one of the many benefits on Goodreads and having awesome, active groups like the SRC!


message 18: by Butterflycager (new)

Butterflycager | 293 comments Yes, thanks so much for pointing this out, Kate! I intend to spend many happy hours playing with this feature...


message 19: by Maria Jo (new)

Maria Jo Can I read two books by the same author? She is a new author to me, but I found several of her books I would like to read.


message 20: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Maria wrote: "Can I read two books by the same author? She is a new author to me, but I found several of her books I would like to read."

No, you need to use two different authors for this task. Sorry. But I am glad you found which interested you.


message 21: by Maria Jo (new)

Maria Jo Kate S wrote: "Maria wrote: "Can I read two books by the same author? She is a new author to me, but I found several of her books I would like to read."

No, you need to use two different authors for this task. S..."


Ok, thanks!


message 22: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 994 comments Jodi Picoult is one of my fave authors :) so I am going to read The Bay at Midnight by Diane Chamberlain and Zoo by James Patterson.


message 23: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Claire wrote: "Jodi Picoult is one of my fave authors :) so I am going to read The Bay at Midnight by Diane Chamberlain and Zoo by James Patterson."

Those both look like good options and they fit the task! Enjoy!


message 24: by Pam (new)

Pam Skipper | 49 comments How do i find arthurs page?


message 25: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Pam wrote: "How do i find arthurs page?"

The easiest way to get to an author's page is to pick a book you like then click on the link to the author's name.


message 26: by Jen (new)

Jen (jayebee) | 243 comments I made my list at the beginning of the challenge in December, and now having read the two books by similar authors, as I was getting my links together to post, I found that one author is no longer listed. Is there an honour system for this?

My original author was Tayari Jones, and the similar authors that I chose at the time were Martha Southgate and Mat Johnson, but Mat Johnson is not on the list at this time. I had selected these authors originally with the plan to read their books during February in honour of Black History Month, and hadn't considered that the list might change in the meantime.


back to top