Reading with Style discussion

RwS (Winter 12/13) > 20.10 – Liz M's task - Undaunted

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz M (last edited Dec 01, 2012 05:12AM) (new)

Liz M 20.10 – Liz M's task - Undaunted:
Read a classic book (published before 1950) that you find intimidating. Maybe it is a book you started and put down (Catch-22). Maybe it's a book with a reputation for difficulty (Ulysses). It should be a classic book that you want to read, but have been avoiding, for whatever reason.
This task can only be completed once and it cannot be claimed as combo points.

message 2: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1107 comments Oh, gosh....I know just what book this will be....Les Misérables. I have been trying to read this book all year and still have 1000 pages to go!

message 3: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 3568 comments I'll be choosing between The Decameron, which I started last challenge, but didn't get far and Metamorphoses. Decisions, decisions!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 8477 comments I have to admit I have little idea what I'll read for this, but I note Les Liaisons Dangereuses has been penciled in for every challenge for over a year. Perhaps it's time.

message 5: by Denise (new)

Denise | 1063 comments How many times have I started Don Quixote and abandoned it after six or seven chapters? I've lost count. And I've tried different translations too. Maybe I will dust it off and try again. Lexile 1340, it would combo with 20.5, and would earn Non-Western, Canon, and Jumbo points. But I don't know.

message 6: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 3568 comments D wrote: "How many times have I started Don Quixote and abandoned it after six or seven chapters? I've lost count. And I've tried different translations too. Maybe I will dust it off and try again. Lexil..."

I listened to it on audio and loved it!

message 7: by Denise (last edited Dec 01, 2012 07:21PM) (new)

Denise | 1063 comments Karen GHHS wrote: "I listened to it on audio and loved it! "

Now that's a good idea for when I start taking walks again! Did you listen to the Librivox or Gutenberg audio, or some other one?

message 8: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 3568 comments It was from my public library so i looked at what they have and I believe it was the Edith Grossman translation done by Recorded Books, 2003.

message 9: by Denise (new)

Denise | 1063 comments Karen GHHS wrote: "It was from my public library so i looked at what they have and I believe it was the Edith Grossman translation done by Recorded Books, 2003."

I have that translation in print and liked it quite well up to page 68, before abandoning it on the end table. I don't see the audio version of Grossman on my library site or on Overdrive. I might give the Librivox/Gutenberg edition a try, even though it will probably be one of the older, more stilted translations.

message 10: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 1436 comments OK this one is really hard to pick a book for because I don't find books intimidating. I'll have to think on it a bit.

message 11: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 2024 comments When I saw this task I immediately thought of The First Circle by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn which I started and gave up on a couple of challenges ago ... there are 700 pages in the edition that I have and I get this sinking feeling whenever I think of it. But I put it on my spreadsheet, thinking that's exactly the kind of book that is intended ... then just now I was looking over the task list again and noticed the part where the book has to be published before 1950! So it doesn't fit! *happy dance*

Obviously I am completely daunted by this book ;)

message 12: by Liz M (last edited Dec 03, 2012 02:41PM) (new)

Liz M Rosemary wrote: " then just now I was looking over the task list again and noticed the part where the book has to be published before 1950! So it doesn't fit! *happy dance*

Obviously I am completely daunted by this book ;) ..."

LOL!

I actually don't know what I'm reading for this task. Maybe something Russian. I'll have to look at my "to-read" shelves and see if any of the books elicit a mental shudder.

message 13: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 3568 comments I ended up deciding on War and Peace. Hopefully, I can make it through!

message 14: by Christine (new)

Christine | 473 comments Karen GHHS wrote: "I ended up deciding on War and Peace. Hopefully, I can make it through!"

I read it a few years ago. I enjoyed the Peace parts, but the War stuff was difficult for me to focus on. I read the new translation. The big blue book.

message 15: by Christine (new)

Christine | 473 comments D wrote: "How many times have I started Don Quixote and abandoned it after six or seven chapters? I've lost count. And I've tried different translations too. Maybe I will dust it off and try again. Lexil..."

Same with me! I have Don Quixote. Keep picking it up and putting it back down.

message 16: by Christine (new)

Christine | 473 comments Maybe Bleak House. I own it, keep intending to read it, and keep putting it down 50 or so pages in.

message 17: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 1436 comments OK I've thought about it. I find long poems intimidating. Evangeline maybe?

message 18: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 3140 comments Deedee wrote: "OK I've thought about it. I find long poems intimidating. Evangeline maybe?"

Evangeline is good, I think. The poetry didn't get in the way of the story if you know what I mean.