The Humour Club discussion

Group Reads > Monthly Dose-O-Discworld - Moving Pictures

Comments (showing 1-25 of 25) (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melki (new)

Melki | 3185 comments Mod
What does Mr. Pratchett have in store for us this month?

Holy Wood! No, it's not what I thought it was...but a send-up of the film industry, Discworld-style.

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol Looking foward to this one, and waiting for my copy!

message 3: by Bookworm (new)

Bookworm Smith | 684 comments Really? My library does not have this one either...when is Snuff? They have about twelve Snuffs.

message 4: by Melki (new)

Um...Snuff is number 39.
Guess we'll see you in a few years.

message 5: by Will (new)

Will Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 510 comments Now this is one of his very best, for me. Full of cracking one liners and barbed comments. Snuff can't compete with this one.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Clemens (mpclemens) Agree with Will. I read Snuff recently, and as much as I like Sam Vimes, Sir Terry seemed really off his game with that one. "Moving Pictures" is a lot of fun -- my only complaint so far is that I'm getting close to the end of the book, and although I have an inkling about how things are going to turn out, I'm enjoying the ride enough that I'm in no hurry to get there. (view spoiler)

message 7: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (RDouglass) | 2138 comments Mod
Oops. Time to get on line and see if I can get a copy!

message 8: by Will (new)

Will Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 510 comments Like Michael, I'm taking my time to enjoy the journey throught this one, even though I've read it a few times already

message 9: by Rebecca (new)

Went to the library web site and found I'd already checked it out--just hadn't downloaded. Have now remedied that and can start reading.

message 10: by Will (new)

Will Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 510 comments OK, I'm done, and loved this one.

message 11: by Melki (new)

FINALLY finished the 500 plus page snoozer I WAS reading. Now, onto something fun - this book!

message 12: by Bookworm (new)

Bookworm Smith | 684 comments I haven't heard of Snoozer...who's the authour?

message 13: by Melki (new)

Even though there were no witches, this one is a favorite, so far.

message 14: by Will (new)

Will Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 510 comments Only beaten, in my view, by Soul Music

message 15: by Rebecca (new)

Stoopid me, I let my copy fall due at the virtual library before I finished. Now I have to check it out and download again.

message 16: by Will (new)

Will Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 510 comments Now there's an argument in favour of a real book copy...

message 17: by Melki (new)

I'm pretty sure most books could be improved by the addition of talking dogs and an abundance of trolls.

message 18: by Will (new)

Will Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 510 comments I'll bear it in mind.

message 19: by Rebecca (new)

Will wrote: "Now there's an argument in favour of a real book copy..."

Yeah. But on the other hand, no local library had a copy. I got it from my mom's library in another state!

message 20: by Will (new)

Will Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 510 comments It might have been cheaper to get a paperback off eBay.

message 21: by Rebecca (new)

It was free. I got electronically using her card from the comfort of my own home :)

message 22: by Carol (new)

Carol Melki wrote: "I'm pretty sure most books could be improved by the addition of talking dogs and an abundance of trolls."

Yup, just finished this one, and loved Gaspode. Bittersweet ending for him, however. Detritus in the tavern was also very funny and some nice rock throwing moments with Ruby.

message 23: by Will (new)

Will Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 510 comments The ending was one of his best conclusions, i thought.

message 24: by Michael (new)

Michael Clemens (mpclemens) Gaspode was easily my favorite character. I never realized how many of the Discworld books are of the boy-meets-girl variety, so it's a lot of fun to read something that (partially) breaks from the pattern.

message 25: by Rebecca (new)

I agree! Gaspode and the trolls are the best. I really liked the King Kong variation, too.