Downton Abbey discussion

TV shows > Downton Abbey Season 1

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie | 105 comments Mod
So, let's start with the season 1.
It's 1912, the Titanic just sank. Edwardian Era is at its heyday, everything looks idyllic, but the First World War is looming.
What did you think about the season 1? Loved it?

message 2: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Wilhelm (wilhcarm) I was hooked from the first scene in season one!

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie | 105 comments Mod
I loved the first scene in which we see Mary, sitting on her bed, with this hopeless, fed up expression. I think this was her life before Patrick died- she'd have to marry a boy she didn't love just because she was the eldest.
Also, I was just re-watching series 1, and both Edith & Mary were so nasty to each other! It was mostly just hateful glances!

message 4: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Wilhelm (wilhcarm) I like how quietly the characters fight and disagree or put the knife into each other (so to speak) while appearing to be the epitome of charm and grace. Edith and Mary are amazingly horrible to each other but it all takes place with a minimum of dialogue or screen time. In fact, I have to explain many things to my husband who misses much!

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie | 105 comments Mod
Agree. I think cousin Violet's quote just puts it right- "No family is what it seems from the outside."

message 6: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Wilhelm (wilhcarm) Did you see the spectacular spread of character Mathew in TOWN AND COUNTRY magazine (January I think)? And the web oage showing the characters in real life? Such fun.

message 7: by Julie (new)

Julie | 105 comments Mod
I haven't! Must look it up!