Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
43 views
ARCHIVES > The best MG book I read in NOVEMBER was ...

Comments (showing 1-28 of 28) (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by S.W. (new)

S.W. (swlothian) | 842 comments It's time to share our favorite Middle Grade read for November.


message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert Tabb (Robert_C_Tabb) | 117 comments The best book I read in November was The Deathly Hollows. It is in my top five of all time as well. Loved it. The Westing Game was another 5 star read and most months would have topped my list. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) by J.K. Rowling The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin


message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie Clark I'm really loving a new series I've just found. The Emerald Atlas. I think my students who love Harry Potter, 39 Clues, and the Hobbit will love this series, too.


message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth I read Wonder by R.J. Palacio.Wonder It is not just a good book for kids, but for adults as well! This book will make you laugh, it will make you cry, and it will leave you feeling good. What more can we ask from a book...okay, maybe a few dragons...Ha!


message 5: by Beth (new)

Beth Katie wrote: "I'm really loving a new series I've just found. The Emerald Atlas. I think my students who love Harry Potter, 39 Clues, and the Hobbit will love this series, too."

We just got the second book in that series...I'll have to read the first. I know a lot of kids that would enjoy a book like that!


message 6: by Beth (new)

Beth Oh! I need to add one more (This one had dragons...paper dragons!) For Harry Potter fans, The Unwanteds (Unwanteds, #1) by Lisa McMannby Lisa McMann. I was so excited about this book, that I immediately put the second one on hold at our library. The kids LOVE it!!!


message 7: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) It's hard to narrow it down; I agree. Well, the first wonderful MG book I read in Nov. was Soonie and the Dragon. Yes, it's old, and yes, the illustrations are kinda lame. But kids who have enjoyed fairy tales but are getting tired of the 'same old' will appreciate this well-written and humorous twisted take.


message 8: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Cavanaugh | 2 comments The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt
Just finished Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt. It's been on my list of must reads for a long time. As always, Schmidt does not disappoint. There is something so authentic about they way he writes, and talk about a great storyteller. If you haven't read it, put it on your list!


message 9: by June (last edited Dec 13, 2012 07:48AM) (new)

June (jsherwin) | 5 comments A fabulous Florida setting always catches my attention, but the sincerity of Mika Ashley-Hollinger's twisty whodunit, voiced by a young girl called Bones, makes Precious Bones my favorite Middle Grade read for November. Set in the late 1940's with many entertaining characters, this is a wonderful story.
Precious Bones
Precious Bones by Mika Ashley-Hollinger


message 10: by Diane (new)

Diane Greenseid | 11 comments Katie wrote: "I'm really loving a new series I've just found. The Emerald Atlas. I think my students who love Harry Potter, 39 Clues, and the Hobbit will love this series, too."

I love The Emerald Atlas. I was able to introduce it to 5th and 6th graders who loved it, too.


message 11: by Diane (new)

Diane Greenseid | 11 comments Beth wrote: "I read Wonder by R.J. Palacio.Wonder It is not just a good book for kids, but for adults as well! This book will make you laugh, it will make you cry, and it will leave you feeling good. What mor..."

Great book! One of my favorites. In Santa Monica where I work, it has been chosen as a citywide "Santa Monica Reads" book, for all ages (everyone reads the same book and comes together to discuss).


message 12: by Diane (new)

Diane Greenseid | 11 comments My favorite in November was The Secret Tree by Natalie Standiford. It has an intriguing mixture of mystery and interesting neighborhood characters. Watching the main character, Minty, get ready emotionally and thoughtfully for middle school (and life in general) takes us on a truly heartwarming journey.


message 13: by Cordelia (new)

Cordelia Dinsmore (CordeliaDinsmore) | 105 comments For November, my absolute favorite was A Dog Called Homeless by Sarah Lean. This is a debut novel, and it's amazing. A father and daughter dealing with the death of the child's mother. I couldn't put this one down and read the entire novel one evening. It's so beautifully written and I highly recommend it.


message 14: by Beth (new)

Beth Diane wrote: "Beth wrote: "I read Wonder by R.J. Palacio.Wonder It is not just a good book for kids, but for adults as well! This book will make you laugh, it will make you cry, and it will leave you feeling go..."

My mother just read the book and liked it...and she's hard to please! I'm trying to get the adult book discussion at my library to read it. I agree that everyone should read it.


message 15: by Diane (new)

Diane Greenseid | 11 comments Another one I really enjoyed is Kiki Strikes. It's about a group of kids that go exploring a land underground New York city, led by the mysterious Kiki Strikes. Lots of twists and turns and adventure. Maybe leaning a bit to YA, but I think my MG kids in my library would like it.


message 16: by Diane (new)

Diane Greenseid | 11 comments Sorry, all it's Kiki Strike, not Kiki Strikes, and the title of the one I read is called Inside Shadow City.


message 17: by Cordelia (new)

Cordelia Dinsmore (CordeliaDinsmore) | 105 comments Diane wrote: "My favorite in November was The Secret Tree by Natalie Standiford. It has an intriguing mixture of mystery and interesting neighborhood characters. Watching the main character, Minty, get ready emo..."

I enjoyed The Secret Tree when I read it a while back.


message 18: by Renee (new)

Renee  (MotherDaughterBookReviews) | 14 comments Katie wrote: "I'm really loving a new series I've just found. The Emerald Atlas. I think my students who love Harry Potter, 39 Clues, and the Hobbit will love this series, too."
Oh, The Emerald Atlas is on my TBR list! Glad to hear you are enjoying it!


message 19: by Renee (new)

Renee  (MotherDaughterBookReviews) | 14 comments My kids and I read Guinevere by Cheryl Carpinello in November and we really enjoyed that one. Medieval times, unicorns, a dragon, a little magic, and a strong heroine - - yup, it was fun!


message 20: by Beth (new)

Beth Renee wrote: "My kids and I read Guinevere by Cheryl Carpinello in November and we really enjoyed that one. Medieval times, unicorns, a dragon, a little magic, and a strong heroine - - yup, it was fun!"

Sounds like my kind of book! I'll be checking that one out soon!!!


message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I re-read "Catherine Called Birdy" and laughed so hard. Forgot how funny it is. Karen Cushman is brilliant!
Also read "The Search for Wondla" and although I loved the illustrations and the imaginative world, the story line wasn't the most gripping.


message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Beth wrote: "Renee wrote: "My kids and I read Guinevere by Cheryl Carpinello in November and we really enjoyed that one. Medieval times, unicorns, a dragon, a little magic, and a strong heroine - - yup, it was..."

That does sound good!


message 23: by Diane (new)

Diane Greenseid | 11 comments Evelyn wrote: "I re-read "Catherine Called Birdy" and laughed so hard. Forgot how funny it is. Karen Cushman is brilliant!
Also read "The Search for Wondla" and although I loved the illustrations and the imagin..."


Loved Search for Wondla. And did you see the related website?


message 24: by Ilana (new)

Ilana Waters (IlanaWaters) Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "It's hard to narrow it down; I agree. Well, the first wonderful MG book I read in Nov. was Soonie and the Dragon. Yes, it's old, and yes, the illustrations are kinda lame. But kids who have enjo..."

I love that this is a GIRL who rescues the princesses! Thanks for the suggestion. :-)


message 25: by Ilana (new)

Ilana Waters (IlanaWaters) Diane wrote: "Another one I really enjoyed is Kiki Strikes. It's about a group of kids that go exploring a land underground New York city, led by the mysterious Kiki Strikes. Lots of twists and turns and adventu..."

I've heard wonderful things about this. I'm sure your kids would go ga-ga for it.


message 26: by Ilana (new)

Ilana Waters (IlanaWaters) Evelyn wrote: "I re-read "Catherine Called Birdy" and laughed so hard. Forgot how funny it is. Karen Cushman is brilliant!
Also read "The Search for Wondla" and although I loved the illustrations and the imagin..."


Karen Cushman is amazing. Be sure to read The Midwife's Apprentice if you liked Catherine Called Birdy.


message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Ilana wrote: "Evelyn wrote: "I re-read "Catherine Called Birdy" and laughed so hard. Forgot how funny it is. Karen Cushman is brilliant!
Also read "The Search for Wondla" and although I loved the illustrations..."


Yes, I read that one too (long time ago). So great (happy sigh). Wonder if she's written anything new...


message 28: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (RDouglass) | 1510 comments Mod
Looks like Cushman brought one out this fall:
Will Sparrow's Road

I think my best read last month was a re-read of a much older favorite, reviewed on my blog:
http://www.ninjalibrarian.com/2012/12...


back to top
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.