Books2Movies Club discussion

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
This topic is about The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Monthly Reads > The Perks of Being a Wallflower - A Movie

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zeljka (last edited Dec 01, 2012 04:05AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zeljka (ZTook) | 2004 comments Mod

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is still newbie on the literature scene, so it is a bit of refreshing surprise to see its adaptation already made. Actually, maybe it is not so surprising, as the director of the film is the author of the book himself, Stephen Chbosky :)

No need to say much of it - simply go and see it, if you like the universal story about young introvert coming to terms with himself and his environment. Filmed in Pittsburg with the cute actors on these posters below in less than two months, the movie is currently in our cinemas, if not already gone to be seen in our home theaters.

Any comments about it and comparisons with the book would be appreciated, while the discussion about the book itself you may check in the book thread.

Melissa Frye (MissyFrye) Actually, the book was first published in 1999. So it's been around for a while.

I wrote a comparison of the book and film on my blog. If anyone is interested in reading it, I'll post a link.

Melissa Frye (MissyFrye) I'd like to hear how others felt about the differences between the book and the film. Did anyone notice any glaring dissimilarities?

Missy wrote: "Actually, the book was first published in 1999. So it's been around for a while..."

Ha, obviously haven't done my research properly :) Now that gives quite different angle to the story, when you know the director is the author himself.

The trailer looks great, and although these days are long gone for me, I still like to watch this kind of movies, young people finding new friends and facing their issues looking on the bright side of the things. At least that's the impression trailer left on me. I'll first read the book though, there's still no sign of movie's appearance in Croatian cinemas.

Melissa Frye (MissyFrye) I'm way past those days too, but it resonated with me. I didn't read the book until I heard about the movie. As a fan of Emma Watson I knew I'd see the film. I try to read books before seeing their movie counterparts.

The trailer makes the movie seem more cheery than it actually is and the book is quite dark at times. There are moments of levity, just as in real life.

Claire Dobson I am so excited to see this movie as I loved the book and adore Emma Watson. Hope it lives up to my high expectations (the book being one of my favourite reads this year).

Melissa Frye (MissyFrye) Claire wrote: "I am so excited to see this movie as I loved the book and adore Emma Watson. Hope it lives up to my high expectations (the book being one of my favourite reads this year)."

I loved the book and the movie! But there are several things they left out. The movie stands on its own though.

Margaret Perry (MargaretPerry) | 5 comments The author is the director! That's awesome! I also love Emma Watson, but I def. want to read the book first.

Melissa Frye (MissyFrye) Margaret wrote: "The author is the director! That's awesome! I also love Emma Watson, but I def. want to read the book first."

Director and screenwriter. I knew I'd want to see the movie because of Emma Watson so I bought the book and read it before hitting the theater. So glad I did. Both are fantastic!

BREAKING NEWS!

(All right, maybe it's old now, but I discovered that right now...)

Lions Gate released the screenplay of The Perks, thanks to Rope of Silicon, here is the link for those interested:

http://www.lionsgateawards.com/screen...

message 11: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah (sarah_endipity) | 40 comments What is the song from the movie called?

Melissa Frye (MissyFrye) Blueturtles wrote: "What is the song from the movie called?"

There are two songs that play a big part in the movie: Asleep by The Smiths and Heroes by David Bowie

message 13: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah (sarah_endipity) | 40 comments thanks so much. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Fatima Mahdi | 1 comments The movie wasn't what expected at all! but it was good...very good. It truly shows and portrays who Charlie is,what he's thinking and what he went through. The author did well. A recommended must watch to anyone who likes teen movies.

Kressel Housman Blueturtles wrote: "What is the song from the movie called?"

The song at the school dance was called "C'mon Eileen" and it was what tipped me off that the author is just about my age, something that wasn't as clear to me from the book.