UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Past Group Book Discussions > Maureen Goes to Venice - Jonathan Hill

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Oak Tree (new)

Oak Tree | 50 comments Genre - Novella

Most readers enjoyed this, describing it as witty, funny, hilarious. It is not a long books but some enjoyed the writing style and the turns of phrase used by the author. Overall the group awarded this 1 acorn - a recommended read.

message 3: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Hill | 1599 comments Oh my goodness! Thank you for selecting my book - I'm thrilled!

I'm delighted readers are enjoying Maureen and her mishaps and I can't wait to see what Goodreads readers make of her.

Jonathan
:)

message 4: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24013 comments I think Maureen is a character of almost mythic proportions. She's rather horrid on some ways but there are bits in there where you feel her deep emotions and once or twice I could have put my arm round her and said, 'There, there.' She's more than the caricature she could initially seem to be.

message 5: by Steve (new)

Steve Robinson (SteveRobinson) | 2930 comments Congrats on having your book chosen, Jonathan. Very well deserved, too. :o)

message 6: by Jonathan (last edited Dec 04, 2012 10:54AM) (new)

Jonathan Hill | 1599 comments I've not had a book chosen here before so I'm not sure of the etiquette surrounding the author posting on this thread, but if anyone has any questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

Ignite, thank you for your comment. This is exactly what I wanted to achieve. A larger-than-life comic character with human qualities. In the next book, Maureen's emotions are explored in more depth. In fact, I decided to remove the description 'a comic short story' from 'A Letter for Maureen' - while there is lots of humour in the story, some of it is quite dark and sad. I just hope I have achieved an appropriate fusion of comedy/emotion.

Steve, thank you! It is a definite highlight in my writing career so far.

message 7: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24013 comments It's actually more interesting for readers if the author does join in, Jonathan. We had some good long natters with Marianne Wheelaghan last month.

message 8: by Jonathan (last edited Dec 30, 2012 04:48AM) (new)

Jonathan Hill | 1599 comments I've just read Andy's post on his December Group Read thread and it's prompted me to thank Goodreads again for being chosen. It's been a great honour! If anyone has any more comments or questions, I will always be happy to answer and/or discuss.

*Goes away to take a screenshot of my book in the Group Book section on its final day*

message 9: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (SnoozieSuzie) | 31 comments I'm currently reading it and am finding Maureen rather annoying but in the way she is supposed to come across rather than the I don't want to read this way.

message 10: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Hill | 1599 comments Hi Snoozie Suzie,

Thanks for reading the book. Yes, she can be infuriating, can't she? ;)
I'd love to hear your thoughts after you have finished the book, and see if your opinion of Maureen has changed in any way.

Thanks again!

message 11: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (SnoozieSuzie) | 31 comments Reviewed and stars awarded. Congratulations Jonathan on such a great and unusual character.

message 12: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24013 comments Thanks to Jonathan for joining in the chat! Good luck with your future writing.

message 13: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Hill | 1599 comments Snoozie Suzie wrote: "Reviewed and stars awarded. Congratulations Jonathan on such a great and unusual character."

Thank you for leaving a review. I'm thrilled you enjoyed it! The title your mother heard sounds quite a good read - a comedy ghost story waiting to be written perhaps?!

And thank you, Ignite. It was a pleasure.

message 14: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (SnoozieSuzie) | 31 comments Perhaps my NaNoMo (is that right) for 2013!

message 15: by Jonathan (last edited Jan 01, 2013 05:48AM) (new)

Jonathan Hill | 1599 comments Snoozie Suzie wrote: "Perhaps my NaNoMo (is that right) for 2013!"

:) Well, as long as you quote me as the inspiration for your book. I feel a Booker prize winner coming on. With a name like that, it can't fail! ;)

message 16: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (SnoozieSuzie) | 31 comments Lol. I won't forget your mention, but I shouldn't hold your breath.