Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

The Giver
This topic is about The Giver
Book Club Discussions > December 2012- The Giver by Lois Lowry

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jennifer W | 1289 comments Mod
Welcome to our themed read (from the 1990s) of The Giver by Lois Lowry.

Please mark spoilers.

Enjoy!

Suzanne When I read this book years ago, it blew me away. I need to go downstairs and find my copy - I think it might be time for a re-read. Especially since now there are sequels =)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) This has been my favorite book for 19 years now and nothing seems to have the impact on me that it had. I cannot wait to reread (I have the audio to listen to) and I plan on rereading Gathering Blue and The Messenger before finally reading Son (the finale)- I am so excited!

Angela Sunshine (AngelaSunshine) The Giver is a favorite of mine too. There are only a few books that have made me feel the way The Giver did. Lois Lowry has such a way with words.

I haven't read Son yet either, but I'm definitely going to.

message 5: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I know I own a copy of this book, but I can't find it, so I'll hit up the library tomorrow!

Maree | 233 comments This was definitely my favorite elementary school book. 100%. It's the only one I really remember reading back then, and it made quite the impact. I picked it up again a few years ago, a little afraid that I was about to ruin my childhood, but found it just as good as I remembered. I read the other two books in the series and found them okay, but not as good as the original. But they do provide some closure for Jonas for those interested.

I think this was my first dystopia! It really stoked my appreciation for worlds that could be different from ours, and set my imagination running.

message 7: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm almost done with the book. I haven't read it since college. I'd forgotten how bland their world was. I think it's an interesting twist on the idea of a government or country trying to wipe out the past. In this case, it has to be presserved and protected, but not freely available.

I do have to say, I hate the cover of this book. I didn't read it until college at least partly because of the cover. What about an old guy with a scraggly beard could appeal to a teenage girl? I don't know what the cover should be, but there's got to be a better option.

Kate | 7 comments I wish I had read this book when I was younger. I only read it for the first time about a year ago, and having read numerous more recent dystopias, which tend to be gripping and action-packed, I was a little underwhelmed. I think The Giver would have had a huge impact on me if I had read it when I was ten or twelve, but now it seems like I've seen it all before.

Maree | 233 comments I just got the fourth and final book of this series, which is supposed to go back to this town. Should be interesting to see what happened.

Julie S. (view spoiler)

message 11: by Suzanne (last edited Dec 17, 2012 08:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suzanne When I first read the ending (view spoiler)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) Kate wrote: "I wish I had read this book when I was younger. I only read it for the first time about a year ago, and having read numerous more recent dystopias, which tend to be gripping and action-packed..."

True... Remember, though, that it was earlier than most of the recent dystopia and was an inspiration for many of them. The Giver is so much more about the character, overcoming oppression, and freedom.

Julie wrote: "What do you think about the ending..."

I was always so optimistic about the end. I knew that the boys had found a way out of the hell that they unfortunately had been part of.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

How did I miss this for so long? Finished yesterday and waiting for 'Gathering Blue' to be available from the library. I plan on reading the rest of the series ASAP. This book really makes you think about the world and how much we take for granted and how much we suffer. I hope I can inspire my 11-year-old to read this.

message 14: by Kellee (last edited Dec 28, 2012 05:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kellee (KelleeMoye) Just reread this book yesterday - I love it so much even the 5th time around :)

It is such a little perfect book. I love it for how it makes you think about everything you are blessed with and makes you think of the future and if the choices we are making are correct. I love that it makes you think, but doesn't do it in a didactical sort of way. It is also so beautifully written and was such a different piece of YA literature when it came out. Also, I love that it is character driven and it is about his choices and his feelings instead of just being plot driven with action after action, but no depth. Finally, I love it for its end which is one of the most controversial endings in YA literature.

Going to reread the rest of the series now :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Giver (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lois Lowry (other topics)