Gentleman Bastards discussion

Book #3 > The Republic of Thieves (Gentleman Bastard, #3)

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (last edited Feb 26, 2009 11:02PM) (new)

Stephanie | 11 comments Mod
Buying this one on Saturday!!

message 2: by Josh (new)

Josh | 5 comments Saturday?? How and where? Amazon doesn't show it as available until July now.

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

What Oh no I thought that was just in paperback...it doesn't come out in hardback first??

message 4: by Josh (new)

Josh | 5 comments It should come out in hardback first, though it shows paperback now for some reason. But it hasn't been released yet, originally it was going to be releaed this month but he didn't get the manuscript done in time. So I think we're looking at summer now.

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

AAAAHHHH I'm so sad!! I just started book 2...I will be done in less than a week and then I will have the long wait!!! I truly hate when that happens...

message 6: by Lys (last edited Feb 28, 2011 05:02AM) (new)

Lys The new release date is set for November 2011 (via Orion Books website).

You can listen to a new (as far as I know) Scott's interview there as well (http://www.orionbooks.co.uk/books/the... under Extras).
At the end, the interviewer says TRoT will be released in 2011, so... fingers crossed about November!

message 7: by Bjoern (new)

Bjoern | 3 comments Oh didn't see this right away... but i'd feel more comfortable if Scott (like GRRM e.g.) would state as much on his own homepage or blog... there still is nothing to find in this direction, which let's me doubt the finality of the date a little bit.

Other than that: i'm happy, but i will definitely have to reread the first two books, as it's been a looooong time.

message 8: by Bjoern (new)

Bjoern | 3 comments the date as it is shown on Amazon.de now is June 2012 so even the february date from the other thread seems to have died already...

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael Lavin | 20 comments Any excerpts available? i deff. have to do the reread its been tooooo long.

Katharine (Ventureadlaxre) (skypirate) | 21 comments Mod
See this comment in the other thread: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael Lavin | 20 comments IT Just Might be Time to Restart the Series! Take it back to Lies of Locke and right into RedShip folled by Repub. Only Problem with that is time. Could just Pick it up from Red Ship then Republic. What do you think is that wrong? Is everybody doing a Reread from beginning? Opinions Requested!!!!

message 12: by Colin (new)

Colin | 3 comments I'm definitely going to do full re read from the start of lies...really looking forward to it

message 13: by Lori (new)

Lori (lorix) http://fantasy-faction.com/2013/scott...

Read along starts on Fantasy Faction today. I did post this earlier but it's not showing up. :)

Lorraine wrote: "http://fantasy-faction.com/2013/scott...

Read along starts on Fantasy Faction today. I did post this earlier but it's not showing up. :)"

It did, but in the other thread - it's a bit confusing having two threads in the group about the same thing!

message 15: by Lori (new)

Lori (lorix) Oops sorry - easily confused! Oh well, it's covered now, everyone knows there is a read through on Fantasy Faction!!

message 16: by Lloyd (new)

Lloyd 'tucker' | 8 comments Pre-ordered for Thursday :)

Along with the link to the animated title sequence for the first book, Scott asked the creator very nicely if she would do one for book three.

And here it is. <-- link

message 18: by Michael (new)

Michael Lavin | 20 comments Does the animated series done? i checked the link and didnt get any story just the cover page and little bit of art work. Am i missing something! Has everyone been enjoying the Republic of Theives. I thought it would pick up right after Red Seas but its almost a Prequel, which is exciting in its self! not very far into the Book but so far what ive read is Just about the "young Locke" Which ive always wanted a backstory on them. Makes me believe there is another book in series.... Has he foretold how Long the Gentlemans Bastards series is?

message 19: by Michael (new)

Michael Lavin | 20 comments How come nobodys talking about the BOOK?????

Michael wrote: "Does the animated series done? i checked the link and didnt get any story just the cover page and little bit of art work. Am i missing something!"

Not too sure what you mean by that - missing what? It depends what you were expecting, really, a book trailer is just a glimpse of what a book will be like, so people who know nothing about the series go and pick it up to take a look. Like any ad on TV :)

Michael wrote: "but its almost a Prequel"

Noooot really, like the previous two books, it shows a bit of what's happened in Locke's past, but also continues the story onwards, nothing different there from what he did in Lies or Red Seas - keep reading! I'm sure you'll love the way the novel continues.

Michael wrote: "Has he foretold how Long the Gentlemans Bastards series is?"

It'll be seven novels, though there is also talk of one or more novellas coming out also.

message 21: by Lloyd (new)

Lloyd 'tucker' | 8 comments It's good. I'v been taking this one slow because it's surely going to be another few years before we get another of Lockes adventures. I'm 90 pages in and already been a fair few twists!!

message 22: by Michael (new)

Michael Lavin | 20 comments Yes like i stated before i was only a few pages in. Now I'm slowly reading like Lloyd... Im about 60 in and it picked right up Like the past two books have... Katharine I appreciate The response and i had know idea that the series was scheduled for 7 books! Thats exciting because i discovered Scott Lynch only a few years ago and Both his titles were already out. So got to read them back to back and only been waiting for a year or two for this book in the series. Not too positive on that timeline read a good amount and it all blends. What has been the wait time between book releases for him? every 2 or 4 years? i did read he was having a hard time in his personal life and of course that affects a author in their righting. I hope he is taking care of himself cause i really enjoy this series. Any other recommendations on His other writing?

message 23: by Lloyd (new)

Lloyd 'tucker' | 8 comments A lot of his work is in response to the problems he's having in his personal life. He has an online book that he adds to. It's his way of escaping reality. Probably why his books are so good at helping me do the same!

On a side note, it's brilliant Scott's brought Father Chains back, one of my favourite characters!

message 24: by A (new)

A | 5 comments I read it as slowly as I could and I finished it last night. You know a book is good when you start talking to the air about what you think is happening next.

message 25: by Michael (new)

Michael Lavin | 20 comments HAHAH that is really funny, i find my self discussing whatever I'm reading out loud all the time. Good to know im not alone!

message 26: by Lloyd (new)

Lloyd 'tucker' | 8 comments I really didn't think I'd be saying this but this may be Scott's best book yet! Epic!

message 27: by Eric (new)

Eric Zawadzki | 10 comments I've been waiting for the Audible edition (the narrator on the last two really added to the experience, so he's got me for Book 3, as well), which comes out tomorrow. My wife took her ebook copy on a weekend trip and has probably finished it by now. She read the entire 7th Harry Potter book on a 2-hour flight the day it was released and was able to hand it to me in the airport to read next.

message 28: by A (new)

A | 5 comments Ooo, I hadn't heard the audiobooks. I'll have to get those.

message 29: by Eric (new)

Eric Zawadzki | 10 comments Audra wrote: "Ooo, I hadn't heard the audiobooks. I'll have to get those."

The guy who did them is really good. He does voices for all Locke's disguises that sound exactly the way Lynch describes those voices/accents sounding.

message 30: by Lloyd (new)

Lloyd 'tucker' | 8 comments No-ones imagination beats your own in my opinion :)

message 31: by A (new)

A | 5 comments Well, I read LoLL and RSURS (and now RoT) at least once a year. The audio will be great enhancement.

I agree, the audio is utterly amazing, and I'm not usually one for audiobooks.

message 33: by Rudra (new)

Rudra Roy | 4 comments What the fuck,,,,worst fantasy novel ever,worst than even mistborn,,,,after such a good debut nd sequel,Scott Lynch surely has given garbage in this 3rd novel,,,if this is what u have to show for 2 years work than god have mercy on ur literary career,,how d hell d publishers even agreed to publish this rubbish ,is beyond comprehesion,,,
Let me point few things to u-first fantasy is about magic,suspence,evil etc not just smart conversation of a boy nd girl [half d book is just wity dialogue between d hero nd heroine,without d story goin anywhere],if i wanted that i wud have bought another jeffrey archer
Secondly,u r not shakespear,and dont try to b 1,i wanted some plot,some suspense,instead u tried to appease ur writer s ego by forcing us to swallow some idiot play in d novel resembling as u like it ,hey y didnt u published the play seperately,wud have saved d publishers 25 percent pages nd us some torture,,
Thirdly u xcuse for a fantasy writer,if i wanted to read on how corruption and mal practises were used by d republicans and democrats to rig election in lated 19th and earl 20th centuary,ill watch broadwalk empire or read something else,y should i read it in a fantasy novel[the rest 25 percent of d book is filled with nothin but few election tricks,long ago used by parties]
In d end where d fuck is suspense,where d fuck is magic,characters u want to die or live etc ,,,go nd learn something from george r martin,joe ambercome,brandon sanderson nd even from d new comer patric roftheus on how a fantasy series should b written,,if u continue writing like this and u think we r goin to wait eagery for this series next 7 novels[this series supposed to b of 10 novels] than u surely r livin in fantasy world

message 34: by Lloyd (new)

Lloyd 'tucker' | 8 comments You are a book ruining tosser.

I haven't even finished this book yet n you have already started ripping shreds out of it,

You are supposed to WARN about SPOILERS!

You stupid ****

message 35: by A (new)

A | 5 comments Don't take D marginally literate user to heart. There is plenty of good stuff you'll read in the book.

message 36: by Rudra (new)

Rudra Roy | 4 comments Lloyd wrote: "You are a book ruining tosser.

I haven't even finished this book yet n you have already started ripping shreds out of it,

You are supposed to WARN about SPOILERS!

You stupid ****"

Believe me, did u a favour

message 37: by Rudra (last edited Oct 26, 2013 10:35AM) (new)

Rudra Roy | 4 comments Audra wrote: "Don't take D marginally literate user to heart. There is plenty of good stuff you'll read in the book."
marginally literate??? and u must be Mr shakespear himself,,,buddy i might not be oxford or havard aluminai but when it comes to fantasy,i m Shakespear himself with growing up in a 5000 year old culture of magic,myth,mystism and their million stories,,so heed me and dont waste money on this novel

message 38: by A (new)

A | 5 comments Dude, you have a very elevated opinion of yourself and your impact on everybody else. Truth is, your opinion is worth exactly dick. You have an opinion, she has an opinion, he has an opinion, EVERYBODY has an opinion.

What makes one more valued over another is its quality and relevance. The quality of your "review" is poor, and allowing your anger over your enjoyment of the novel impede somebody ELSE'S enjoyment of it is just poor form. Selfish, at best. And then insisting that your "insights" should be treated as a favor is downright narcissistic.

I have read books that I've thought were just garbage, but I don't use this forum to destroy another person's experience with the book. You have. And that's why you are being called out on it.

Don't like the book? Fine. Say you don't like it. Don't ruin plot twists and story line for every other reader.

message 39: by Rudra (new)

Rudra Roy | 4 comments All ryt agreed, i went a little far in my vent{sorry scott} and should have kept it civil but have u thought that it might be because i had big expectation from this one and was really disappointed,,,
as for quality of my review goes,thats wat REVIEW is,i had spend what will be an average indian s half month salary on this book so i m entitled to put my disappointment some how to the author,,,m sorry m new here on goodreads and didnt knew that u cant post ur geniuene feelings for a book here,,also that it will spoils the enjoyment of others , i thought this thread was for review to help other readers,,,as i do{read others review} before spending my hard earned money on some books,,,,,
as for thinking high of myself,well u started it by d "marginal literate" comment,,,,,
and last but not the least about my opinion meaning as"dick" to others,well its up to them,i dam care,if others treat it as dick or holy scripture,i was frustrated after reading the book and i vented myself with what i believe to be true flaws of the book and i meant it towards the author,,,sorry if it spoiled ur all reading,enjoing of the book,didnt intended it,
as said m new here so hope that might be d xcuse u all be satisfied with ,ill find some other forum,,,tk kr