Yann Martel,Stephen Harper & Me discussion

The Death of Ivan Ilych
This topic is about The Death of Ivan Ilych
Books > Book 1 The Death of Ivan Ilych, by Leo Tolstoy

Comments (showing 1-3 of 3) (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Carrie Smith (ebooknewsca) Book 1 The Death of Ivan Ilych, by Leo Tolstoy is in public domain and can be found here http://manybooks.net/titles/tolstoylo... . It is available in a variety of ebook formats.

Carrie Smith (ebooknewsca) Yann Martel's letter to Stephen Harper #1 can be found here http://www.whatisstephenharperreading... . It is worth reading it before and then again after completing the book, The Death of Ivan Illych, as it provides a map with guide posts to get one started and then subsequently a check on where one started and what one walked away with.

Ivan Illyich by Tolstoy is the story of everyman. It is the circle of life and the format of the story itself, the beginning, which includes the ending, symbolizes this circle.

Ivan lives and exists, has foible, makes mistakes, and has great successes. He rises high within the legal framework of Tsarist Russia in the later half of the 19th century. He could however be located in Ottawa in the early 21st century just as easily. His inner thoughts, as well as those of his colleagues, point to timeless quality of game theory, and the inner small selfishness, which is so "normal" in mankind.

Is he simply pointing out to Harper that he should not get to involved in Harperian busy work, that in reality Harper is not any different than all Canadians?

What is he telling Harper? Is it that the robes of power are not permanent, that he too will one day grapple with end of his life cycle, or that his government will end its. Is Martel just so darned frustrated with the treatment of the Arts that he wants to share great Art with the artless?

Marc-Antoine I really enjoyed this story, it made me review my own way of living my life and ensuring that happiness is a large part of it.