Movies We've Just Watched discussion

The Mothman Prophecies

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 42 comments I watched this movie on DVD over the weekend. I'm still confused! What the heck was the dang mothman? Some sort of supernatural/technical being?
And was it (or they or whatever) actually evil or just bored and liked toying with people's minds?

It was a good movie albeit confusing.

message 2: by ScottK (last edited Jan 03, 2008 08:58PM) (new)

ScottK This is one of my favorite movies,considering that is was based loosely on a true story. The Mothman is a supernatural aberration the visits areas right before the coming of a major disaster, In this case the "disaster" being the bridge scene. I have had this DVD for years and watch it at least every 6 months.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

This movie scared the crap out of me. I've also seen it a couple times. Yes, it's based on the worst bridge collapse in the U.S., I believe. It really hit home for me when the bridge in Minneapolis collapsed during rush hour. I had to pop Mothman in and watch it again just to scare myself a little more. I agree that the movie was confusing at times. Like, why did Richard Gere keep showing up at that guy's farmhouse in the middle of the night?

message 4: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 42 comments A supernatural aberation with what intent? Good? Bad? Little bit of both?
It was a trip. I'm fortunate to live in an area that is full of urban legends and sightings. I've had some great Saturday night road trips. My favorite is goatman!

message 5: by ScottK (new)

ScottK Nicole I am not sure if the movie was clear on the fact of whether or not the Mothman was an agent of good or bad , I believe when Richard Gere is talking to the Proffessor guy who wrote the book about Mothman he may have been an agent of evil

message 6: by Cassiel (new)

Cassiel I have to admit before I go much further; I did read the book, but hardly remember a thing about it...but I don't think the mothman was really evil. As I recall it was a being from another dimension that theoretically was attracted to chaos or entropy or something.

The movie was way more dramatic and suspenseful than the book, and a really loose adaptation.

message 7: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Moran (authorkellymoran) LOVED the movie and book. You know this was based in part on truth. This being has been coming and going thru centuries according to small town witnesses.
Made u think either way.
Kelly
home.wi.rr.com/kellymoran

message 8: by Dottie (last edited Jan 07, 2008 05:09PM) (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) Well, that's interesting -- I have to rent this and see what it's about but maybe I'll read the book first.

There is a statue of this Mothman along the Ohio River, by the way. We saw it when we took a Delta Queen cruise. I intended to look into the book and film then but had forgotten until I saw this thread.

message 9: by Missy (new)

Missy When I saw this movie I totally did not get it...but I was hoping The Simpson's would bring us the parody "The Moleman Prophecies".