Mic Breaks Only discussion

Posts Gone By > Ratings: Great/Good/OK/Horrible?

Comments (showing 1-3 of 3) (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrew, Wound Up (new)

Andrew Finazzo (johnyqd) | 316 comments What makes YOU rate a book 1 stars vs 5 stars? If you don't use the Goodreads scale what things make you love or hate a specific book?

For reference the Goodreads scale is:

1 star: didn't like it
2 stars: it was OK
3 stars: liked it
4 stars: really liked it
5 stars: it was amazing

message 2: by Andrew, Wound Up (last edited Nov 30, 2012 04:37PM) (new)

Andrew Finazzo (johnyqd) | 316 comments 5 stars: I love surrealistic fiction. Murakami has earned a stable place as my "favourite" author this year. I felt very invested in the worlds and environments in all of my top rated books.

4 stars: these books are so close to being great, usually suffering from some flaw. The most common flaw is poor pacing. I find there are a lot of books in this group that I would read again.

3 stars: I hate this rating. I would prefer to move almost every book I rated a "3" up or down a little bit.

2 stars: I didn't like these books, but I can appreciate something about them.

1 star: I will not recommend these books. These are fingernails on a chalkboard to me. I am irritated that I am spending any time talking about these books.
____

Below is a stat breakdown I did on some of my ratings:

My 2012 stats (of the books I'm currently reading I predict 3 will end up with a 4/5 star rating and Ulysses is a huge ?):

*: 4 books
**: 12 books
***: 10 books
****: 15 books
*****: 19 books

It could be argued that I've been loose with the 5 star ratings. I would riposte by saying that I've really strived to consistently read books I think I'll love.

Comparing my ratings to the average here are some of my anomalies:

The Leftovers: 5 stars from me; 3.38 average. My review.

The Bro-Magnet: 4 from me; 3.45 average. My review. I have to give this a shout out because I had horrible luck with "free books" which were generally tepid at best.

Ready Player One: 3 from me; 4.27 average. I wish I had wrote a review of this. I should have liked it better. Maybe I did and I just misrated it.

First Shift - Legacy and The Shadow of the Wind: both got 2 from me; 4.19 average. My review of First Shift. My review of Shadow of the Wind.

Blood Red Road: 1 from me; 4.05 average. My review.

None of this reveals much to me, goodreads ratings fluctuate to the middle. Popular authors also get a fan boost (see the ratings of some unpublished books like The Doors of Stone which has 222 ratings, averaging 4.71, and has no publication date set).

Looking over my ratings I still agree with most of them, but I'd definitely give a "bump" up or down to some:

Stranger Things Happen: down to 4.5: this short story collection has a few clunkers. I gave it a 5 because many of the stories achieve a magical quality similar to Murakame.

1Q84 and The Rook are both closer to 4.5 than 4. I have pondered 1Q84 more than any other book this year and if I ever reread it I think it will move up to a 5.

Shine Shine Shine is a unique case. The first 2/3rds of the book were a clear 5.

I wish I could find some larger truth in my ratings. Something that would better help me choose books I think are amazing more consistently.

message 3: by Michelle, Overrun By Pets (last edited Mar 06, 2013 08:50AM) (new)

Michelle Finazzo | 225 comments I do try to rate all of the books I've read. Although I wasn't aware of the Goodreads scale specifically, I do rate books similar to how they are described there. To add to this topic, I have a compulsion in which I have to finish any book I start. Sometimes this takes a long time, and I might not remember all of the specifics about what I liked or disliked. Most times I do find some redeeming quality about the book upon completion.

* I have not yet rated any books at a 1 on Goodreads. For me a 1 would have to be a complete waste of time with nothing to offer in terms of plot, characters, imagination or information. Ongoing grammatical, spelling, misuse of words would also fall in this category for me. I become annoyed with things that impede my speed of reading.

** A 2 book is something that I would not normally recommend to a friend, but enjoyed some part of. Maybe the author used interesting words, but the plot didn't go anywhere or there was no character development but the plot had potential.

*** With tweaks a 3 book could be great. I would recommend it, but would probably not re-read it.

**** I will recommend it to most people, and revel in discussing it. It might change my view on a topic or really engage my brain, but I am not totally invested in it.

***** I can't put it down and want to start reading other books by the author. These are generally where my "author crush" ratings happen. There is usually an intricate plot, great characters, and the author weaves an awesome suspension of disbelief.