Addicted to Novels - YA Books and more... discussion

The Casual Vacancy
This topic is about The Casual Vacancy
The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling

Comments (showing 1-4 of 4) (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 30, 2012 11:14AM) (new)

What are your thoughts? What did you like? What did you not like? Talk about anything you want to regarding the book:

The Casual Vacancy
by J.K. Rowling

A BIG NOVEL ABOUT A SMALL TOWN ...

When Barry Fairbrother dies in his early forties, the town of Pagford is left in shock.

Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty façade is a town at war.

Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with their pupils ... Pagford is not what it first seems.

And the empty seat left by Barry on the parish council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen. Who will triumph in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations?

message 2: by Paul (new) - rated it 1 star

Paul Guildea | 2 comments I have to say. I am really hating this. Too much effort to kill her YA audience with ugly use of language and slogging through sludge of heavy wording. Now I know everything is subjective so it probably is the best book ever in some peoples eyes.

Trisha At first, I was worried that it was going to be very dull (the premise doesn't really sound all that exciting), but the depth to the characters was amazingly well written. They were so believable and full of life, flaws and all, that I also got sucked into the novel. It seemed like every one was so busy with their own problems that they didn't really bother to take the time to see/act on what was going on around them. Don't want to give anything away....(view spoiler)

Nicole Field (NicoleField) Paul wrote: "I have to say. I am really hating this. Too much effort to kill her YA audience with ugly use of language and slogging through sludge of heavy wording. Now I know everything is subjective..."

I know exactly what you mean, Paul. I read this book recently and was just... I wrote a review after finally getting to the end of it. Largely, that review was saved only by the fact that I found some of the writing to be quite evocative.

I usually like a character driven plot over the good vs evil plot that she used in her HP books, but for that to work I have to at least like one of the characters!

The end of the book... what happens there just made me feel as though it had been a waste of time to push that far. I was relieved that it was over.