Lady Of Hay Lady Of Hay discussion

Lady of Hay

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Penny (last edited Nov 30, 2012 09:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Penny I read this book some years ago and have to say I was blown away by it. The idea of regression, I thought was very clever, It started me reading everything of Barbara Erskine's that I could get hold of. Then I found that every new book I was reading was like a re-run of the one before, but with a slightly different setting! And I haven't been able to get into the last 4 or 5 of her works.
Has anybody else found this, or is it just me?

Lesley Arrowsmith It's not just you! Barbara Erskine found a winning formula for her, and stuck to it. However, Lady of Hay is something special, because she does know Hay well. There are scenes at the Thursday market, for instance, and if you know Hay you know exactly where the character would have parked her car. I'm not sure if she was living in the area then, but she's certainly local now, and I've seen her at Hay Festival discussing her books, once with Phil Rickman when they had both written a book set in Glasonbury - her main character was a female vicar, and she said that she should have phoned up Phil Rickman and picked his brains about it, because his main character in a long running series of books set in Herefordshire is a female vicar!

Rebecca I didn't realize the author knew her area so well. That's probably part of why it's so wonderfully vivid.

Lisa Levine Lady of Hay is my favorite. I liked Midnight is a lonely place, but lady of Hay was much better.

Amanda This is my absolute favourite Barbara Erskine book. One I come back to again and again. She really researches her history so well.

Rebecca Does anyone have a recommendation for another book by Barbara Erskine -- or another book in this genre?

Amelie Rose Lady of Hay was amazing - couldn't put it down. I've bought all Barbara Erskine's books since. The stories she tells completely hold me from beginning to end. A wonderful author. I love the crossovers and I highly recommend each and every one of her books.

Kevin Marsh Lady of Hay was the first Barbara Erskine book I read and I became a great fan. I have read everything since and have even visited some of the places in which the books are set. Barbara is a wonderful author and I just love her formula.

Caroline Rebecca try Hiding from the Light.. Its as amazing as Lady of Hay x x

Kevin Marsh Hello Rebecca, I really love Whispers in the Sand. Have read it a couple of times, Barbera Erskine is one of my favourite authors.
Happy reading

message 11: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Rebecca wrote: "Does anyone have a recommendation for another book by Barbara Erskine -- or another book in this genre?"
Bit late in replying to this, but you could try Susanna Kearsley who writes time slip type books. Try Marianna.

Victoria Really? You all liked this book? I liked reading about Matilda but how could any of you liked that weakling Jo? Nick was a cheating loser, Sam a loon, and Tim...had no purpose. Erskine should of stuck with a story about Matilda and dumped everything in modern times.

Yvette Try Kingdom of Shadows or Child of the Phoenix.
The characters in KoS are a lot more realistic and likable.

Kathleen Kelly I think that this is one of my favorite historical novels and it took me several years to read it as I never wanted it to end. It would be my book to take along on a trip, it was my go to book to take to Ireland with me. Loved it and highly recommend it.

message 15: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary I liked Lady of Hay but I loved Kingdom of Shadows! I would also recommend anything by Susanna Kearsley.