Time Travel discussion

Just for Fun > Evidence of Time Travel? You Decide...

Comments (showing 1-22 of 22) (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John, Moderator in Memory (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
I found this entry on a group member's blog and wanted to share it with the group. While I have heard about some of these claims, many were new to me. What do you all think? Fact or fiction?

http://millerandmanas.wordpress.com/2...

message 2: by Tej (new)

Tej (TheyCallMeMrGlass) | 1676 comments Mod
Regards to the swiss watch:

http://millerandmanas.wordpress.com/2...

So the swiss watch is 100 years old...were Swiss watches around then? If so, why cant they believe that someone was at the tomb before them?

message 3: by Frances (new)

Frances Clark (throughtime) | 88 comments The watch was in the soil wrapped around the coffin. It's obvious. A previous tomb raider lost it. Serves him right, he should have taken a torch.

message 4: by Howard (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 1174 comments Duh? Let's review.

A 100-year-old wind-up watch.

A Time Traveler.

Something don't add up here.

All my Time Traveling friends have batteries.

And when I inadvertently leave something behind I just go back & retrieve it.

It's not like I don't have the Time to do so.

message 5: by Frances (new)

Frances Clark (throughtime) | 88 comments Howard wrote: "Duh? Let's review.

A 100-year-old wind-up watch.

A Time Traveler.

Something don't add up here.

All my Time Traveling friends have batteries.

And when I inadvertently leave something behind I j..."

My time traveling buddies don't even need watches. Why would you need to keep track of time when time is irrelevant.

message 6: by Howard (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 1174 comments Frances wrote: 'Why would you need to keep track of time when time is irrelevant.'

Hey, you still gotta call your friends every now & then & some of mine are on a tight schedule.

message 7: by Howard (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 1174 comments But you're right Frances, I don't wear a watch, never could.

For some reason they always stop.

Rarely used, if I do need to keep track within any Timeframe, I have an old pocket watch, but it does need winding & I wouldn't leave it behind in any case.

message 8: by John, Moderator in Memory (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
Um, the artifact they found is not actually a watch but a ring that looks like a mini watch.

message 9: by Howard (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 1174 comments John, are you sure?

Maybe a mini-sized Time Traveler.

message 10: by John, Moderator in Memory (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
Actually a mini watch shaped like a ring. Here is the full article:

"Archaeologists are stumped after finding a 100-year-old Swiss watch in an ancient tomb that was sealed more than 400 years ago.

They believed they were the first to visit the Ming dynasty grave in Shangsi, southern China, since its occupant's funeral.

But inside they uncovered a miniature watch in the shape of a ring marked 'Swiss' that is thought to be just a century old.

The mysterious timepiece was encrusted in mud and rock and had stopped at 10:06 am.

Watches were not around at the time of the Ming Dynasty and Switzerland did not even exist as a country, an expert pointed out.

The archaeologists were filming a documentary with two journalists when they made the puzzling discovery."

message 11: by David (last edited Dec 05, 2012 09:00AM) (new)

David Haws | 102 comments They were probably "archaeologists" (brushes, seives, and picks, yes; film crews, no). Or maybe the grave's occupant didn't like having his remains desecrated, and was screwing with them.

message 12: by Howard (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 1174 comments So, I looked at the photo again & to me the watch reads 11:06 not 10:06.

Maybe it was showing Daylight Savings Time, but how would they know it was in the AM?

Who thinks it was planted, perhaps to get some coverage on Goodreads?

message 13: by Florian (last edited Dec 11, 2012 02:49AM) (new)

Florian Armas (goodreadscomFlorianArmas) | 21 comments If time travel would be possible, sometime in the far future, I am thinking more of an unobtrusive travelling. They will be with us, but maybe not physically, or at least without leaving any physical trace. At that level of technology they should be able to walk everywhere in a very advanced augmented reality.
They will be able to read our messages here by sitting quietly behind us. And, for sure, they will have some fun :)

Accidental time travel, if possible without technology, will be the only way of leaving some traces behind.

message 14: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2196 comments Mod
Hmm ... there's a couple of "proof of time travel" items here I'd not seen before (like the 1938 woman with a cell phone):
http://www.strangerdimensions.com/pro...

message 15: by Tealc (new)

Tealc | 34 comments I think that cell phones were common things in 1938 as no one reacted strangely at the objects in those movies.:)

message 16: by Paul (new)

Paul (PaulLev) | 734 comments Tealc wrote: "I think that cell phones were common things in 1938 as no one reacted strangely at the objects in those movies.:)"

Actually, first cell phones and transistor radios weren't invented until the late 1940s - early 1950s :)

message 17: by Howard (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 1174 comments Amy, Tealc & Paul, these two pieces come up from time to time so let me set you straight:

The young woman exiting the factory is holding her glasses case & her friend next to her has already donned her shades, as the day was sunny.

However, the old woman, who was lost, was in fact on a cell phone, calling me for directions.

One outta two ain't bad though.

message 18: by Paul (new)

Paul (PaulLev) | 734 comments Howard - she picked a good guy to call.

Meanwhile, another problem with a cell phone in 1938 is - there were no cell towers back then. I guess, though, a cell phone from the future might come within its own super powerful transmitter not requiring anything to pick it up except another cell phone.

message 19: by Paul (new)

Paul | 341 comments Paul wrote: "Howard - she picked a good guy to call.

Meanwhile, another problem with a cell phone in 1938 is - there were no cell towers back then. I guess, though, a cell phone from the future might come wit..."

Very interesting discussion. Talk without a tower? That would be a simple two-way radio, a technology that has been around since the 1920s. Hand held "walkie talkies" didn't show up until WWII and were humongous -- leading us to the indisputable conclusion that the woman is indeed calling Howard long-distance on her iPhone 5 for directions. The time-crossing app is free, but the service is $9.99 per month, a total ripoff.

message 20: by Paul (new)

Paul (PaulLev) | 734 comments Paul wrote: "Very interesting discussion. Talk without a tower? That would be a simple two-way radio, a technology that has been around since the 1920s. Hand held "walkie talkies" didn't show up until WWII and were humongous -- leading us to the indisputable conclusion that the woman is indeed calling Howard long-distance on her iPhone 5 for directions. The time-crossing app is free, but the service is $9.99 per month, a total ripoff. "

Actually radio - the wireless - goes back to Marconi in 1895. But you're right about the walkie-talkie, and therefore about the great work that Howard is doing in now receiving that woman's call.

message 21: by Tealc (new)

Tealc | 34 comments Paul wrote: "Tealc wrote: "I think that cell phones were common things in 1938 as no one reacted strangely at the objects in those movies.:)"

Actually, first cell phones and transistor radios weren't invented until the late 1940s - early 1950s :)"

Then is clear that all people in those movies are time travelers.

message 22: by Paul (new)

Paul (PaulLev) | 734 comments Tealc wrote: "Paul wrote: "Tealc wrote: "I think that cell phones were common things in 1938 as no one reacted strangely at the objects in those movies.:)"

Actually, first cell phones and transistor radios weren't invented until the late 1940s - early 1950s :)"

Then is clear that all people in those movies are time travelers. "

That's why I'm in the she-was-on-the-phone-to-Howard camp.