Urban Fantasy discussion

UF BOOK CHAT > Mike Carey's Books

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 367 comments I am not sure if anyone has read The Devil You Know but it seems that Mr Carey has a new book coming out called Thicker Than Water.

There is a free give a way to open to everyone outside the U.S. so here is the link http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com...

Good Luck

message 2: by Cathy (new)

Cathy  (cathygreytfriend) | 55 comments I can't wait for this to be published in the US! His books are complex, dark, wickedly funny, and very thought provoking. And fun!

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 113 comments Ooh, I've got The Devil You Know up in my book case, but I haven't gotten around to reading it. This thread just might inspire me to break it out.

message 4: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 367 comments I plan on finishing it this weekend he has a lot of twists that I did not see coming. It is a really well written and the characters are fantastic. I am looking forward to this next book.

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura (questionableadvice) I loved them,too. I've finished the first two and now I just need to get my hands on Dead Men's Boots. And FYI the fourth book is available from The Book Depository (a British online seller that ships free worldwide). Right now it's 7.99 British pounds or approximately $12.00. I've ordered from them before when I couldn't wait for something to be published in the U.S.

message 6: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 367 comments Thanks for the tip! I hate ordering over seas because shipping can be so high.

message 7: by Tim (new)

Tim (disturbingfurniture) Like Laura said...you don't need to wait for those late (and usually hard-cover-to-begin-with) American editions! I got my copy of "Thicker Than Water" on publication day in March...and I'll get "Naming of the Beasts" in September in the same way! amazon.co.uk is a lovely thing! (You can also order through amazon from places like the book depository)

I probably won't read "Water" for a while since I just finished "Boots"

And don't forget "Vicious Circle" It was #2 in the series.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Is the series any good? I have the first one to read.

message 9: by Martin (new)

Martin (mafrid) | 23 comments I'd say it depends on what you like.
Carey is British and a story writer for comic books.
I'd like to compare this series with the Dresden or Sandman series. They are all paranormal with a darker theme, but Carey background shows. His books are more visual and the horror elements are more British than American. They are less flashy and more gritty and the humor is also more subtle and witty.
At least that's my opinion. :-)

message 10: by Barbara (sbear) (new)

Barbara  (sbear) | 5 comments I like Mike Carey and I've read a couple of his books.

message 11: by Ian (new)

Ian  | 18 comments I love the Felix Castor books. Dark humour, engaging plot and good characters.
They are/he is British, so bear that in mind.

message 12: by Jeffery (new)

Jeffery | 21 comments I really like the Felix Castor series, and I didn't find them overly "Britishy." For the record, I'm a big fan of that British tone, but it was nowhere near on the level of Peter Grant or the Sixty-One Nails series. I think, if you changed the city names, most people wouldn't know it was a british author except for the odd word here and there from UK English.

It's nowhere near as American sounding as Harry Dresden, but short of a western, I'm not sure what could be more more American sounding than a noir detective feel set in Chicago haha.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Martin wrote: "I'd say it depends on what you like.
Carey is British and a story writer for comic books.
I'd like to compare this series with the Dresden or Sandman series. They are all paranormal with a darker..."

That description gives me a lot of hope, I like most of that stuff.

Thanks everyone.

message 14: by Moria (new)

Moria Fainberg (mfainberg) | 5 comments I'm just sorry that I've read all the books in the series and have nothing to look forward to.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Is the series over?

message 16: by Ian (new)

Ian  | 18 comments Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading* wrote: "Is the series over?"
The Naming of the Beasts (#5) is the last so far and did pretty much draw any loose ends together. I have no idea whether there are plans to write any more, but Mike Carey seems pretty busy with comics and other novels (the Girl With All the Gifts is in film production, for instance).
I, for one, would love to read some more Felix Castor novels.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) I just started the first book today - liking the writing style so far so that shouldn't be a problem.

It's a decent sized book, so if I get into it may as well put the next four on order.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Ian wrote: "Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading* wrote: "Is the series over?"
The Naming of the Beasts (#5) is the last so far and did pretty much draw any loose ends together. I have no idea whether the..."

I checked the page and looks like it was 2008 for the last one, so definitely thinking it's finished :(

message 19: by Ian (new)

Ian  | 18 comments Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading* wrote: "Ian wrote: "Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading* wrote: "Is the series over?"
The Naming of the Beasts (#5) is the last so far and did pretty much draw any loose ends together. I have no idea..."

Sadly so. The Girl With All the Gifts is very good, but but very different. You might find it worth a try. However, you have the other Felix Castor books to read first and I found them to be a joy, and he does pretty much finish the story arc, so at least there is closure, no cliffhanger left hanging!

message 20: by Nick (new)

Nick | 100 comments I don't think he's ruled out doing more Felix Castor, but it doesn't look like a sixth book is likely in the immediate future. Shame, because I reckon there's some decent mileage left in the series yet!

message 21: by Gavin (last edited Jun 12, 2015 06:38PM) (new)

Gavin Frankle (gavinfrankle) | 3 comments Devil in the Gateway

It's not one of his novels, but he wrote the graphic novel Lucifer (first collection linked above), which, at 75 issues is plenty long enough and a great story in its own right.