Chick Lit Book Club discussion

Bridesmaid Lotto (McMaster the Disaster, #1)
This topic is about Bridesmaid Lotto
2012 Book Archive > 12/2012: Bridesmaid Lotto: Chapters 11-15 Bridesmaid Lotto

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 07, 2012 11:27PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Well, well, well. Lots happened in these brief chapters. At work, at home, press exposés, real life new McMaster The Disaster moments, bachelorette party, island getaway, romances and rumored romances and enough cattiness to need a mudpen or jello vat!

1. What did you think about all the girl characters? The bachelorette party combined with island getaway? Anything still stand out in your mind, strike a chord or get a good chuckle? Some definite McMaster The Disaster moments.

2. Josie and Jake get some more time together. Okay, maybe not necessarily "dates" … but what do you think of the romance now?

3. How about the press coverage from their kiss to their "threesome"?

4. Do you think Josie should have been fired? What about the way her boss handled the firing?

As always, feel free to answer as few or as many as you like or to add anything to the discussion!

If it helps to format your comments, here's a little shortcut to copy:

1. Island getaway and all the girls

2. Jake -

3. the press -

4. "Real" Life -

Dizzy | 11 comments 1. What did you think about all the girl characters? The bachelorette party combined with island getaway? Anything still stand out in your mind, strike a chord or get a good chuckle? Some definite McMaster The Disaster moments.

I felt bad for Josie with all those horrible snotty catty girls at the bachelorette party! But the disaster moments were pretty funny, and she seemed to handle them well and not let them get to her too much, so I was happy for her about that! The dream about Jake on the plane was just hilarious. =p

2. Josie and Jake get some more time together. Okay, maybe not necessarily "dates" … but what do you think of the romance now?

I was happy about it, but then as usual the paparazzi went and screwed it up. I also had hoped Jake & Josie could've had some more alone time.

3. How about the press coverage from their kiss to their "threesome"?

I just feel horrible for Josie! Nothing she does is private anymore and the press is making her look horrible. =\

4. Do you think Josie should have been fired? What about the way her boss handled the firing?

Unfortunately yes, if I were her boss I probably would have done the same thing. I felt horrible for her about it, but the whole mess was bringing bad press to her company.

message 3: by Melinda (last edited Dec 13, 2012 06:10PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Melinda | 78 comments 1. The girls on the bachelorette party did not seem like a fun group to hang out. The bride probably should have talked to her friends beforehand and told them to be nice to the bridesmaids. It's supposed to be a fun trip, no reason for them to spend the whole time making fun of Josie and the other bridesmaids. Despite the snooty girls it sounded like an amazing getaway, especially when Jake shows up.

2. I think the romance is heading in a good direction.

3. I thought the press scandal was ridiculous. If I heard the story, Jennifer being there with Josie and Jake would have made me just assume they were friends hanging out. I know the press lies, but it seemed way too far fetched for everyone to actually believe. People knew Josie was dating Jake and most would just assume Jennifer was just a friend hanging out with them and nothing other than that.

4. Yes, I actually did think Josie should be fired. Not for the benefit of the client, but for lying to her boss saying she was sick. She could have just told him the truth that she missed her flight and wouldn't be able to come home till the next day. If she had done that, then I would see no reason for her to be fired. I thought her boss handled the firing pretty well. He told her what happened with the client and explained how he couldn't get around her lie with them, but he would give her a letter of recommendation. He was also honest and said he'd have to disclose the whole truth if anyone asked.

Juliet (jujuzz) 1. The girls are definitely snobs and why is Emma even letting them do that to her bridesmaid? Unless she herself doesn't really care. I was hoping to read more about Rebecca but it seems like the author had somehow left her out of the big picture.

2. Well it's pretty obvious that Jake cares about Josie, otherwise he wouldn't bother to explain the whole fiesta with Bobby Lynn and Rebecca.

3. That's what paparazzi does. The three of them should know better than anyone that this could be the outcome. No major feeling over this news.

4. I think her boss handled the firing well. With the whole scandal, it is really reflecting very badly on the company. He is only doing the right thing for the company. Josie should not have lied about her day off. She is with Jake Hall and that is bound to make headlines. She is really stupid to be making such a bad lie on her absence. Telling the truth would have been better.

message 5: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 16, 2012 02:43PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) 1. Island getaway and all the girls. If Emma didn't her real life friends behave well to the bridesmaids, they should not have been included events should have kept them more segregated. Odd that Rebecca wasn't in with the snibs and this whole scene did not really fit in with the rest of the book for me except maybe as a ploy to get in some more disaster moments. It was jarring to me that the rooms had twin beds and that once you were late once you did not set the alarm in your room (maybe the type of room with twin beds did not have alarm clocks but author could have mentioned), your cell phone, and/or talked very specifically to the hotel desk that there have been prank wake up calls and cancellations so please mark your wake up call as do not cancel unless I personally show up and give you photo id (tip so they remember you and to make it not seem so much lime you were scolding).

2. Jake - aaaah. I always waver on how wonderful and edging into too easy and wonderful. But, some fleshing out of the character and details in the romance bring mr back to liking the romance. The twin beds ... Still bugging me for whatever reason.

3. the press - +1 @Juliet.

4. "Real" Life - Well, from the boss's standpoint that was just a triple whammy: (1) a mediocre dependable employee that shows up to do the work better than a topnotch one who is undependable even after you take the time to express your concerns to them about the bridesmaid lotto interfering in the workplace (I did think that was badly done since a bit of a lifetime opportunity thing and something that could have been leveraged into good publicity for the company—but those were his feelings and he did take the time to let her know so she should not have been weepy and blindsided); (2) she lied full well knowing the press coverage would expose it which made it seem to the boss that she could care less (a phone call saying she went on a weekend trip and then missed her flight would have been a better way of handling. It wasn't clear if her job came with sick pay; if so, calling in a false sick day with nothing else going on could lead to firing) and then (3) having the undependable employee causing you problems with paying clients — of course she was outta there.

The once in a lifetime loves, vacations, sweepstakes wins...of course a temptation to just once forget the real world and go for it. But the real world is there and the best compromise is to be honest with your employer in case they are sympathetic or to find out if they are going to be a hardass about it. A really public one like the bridesmaid lotto and you should already have either ditched any idea of trying to lie or come up with a very good cover story in advance. I really got the idea that Josie was in that particular job just to pay the bills. Author not writing a very long or detailed story but did seem also like the only workplace relationship she had was Matt.

Debbie Lawson (Calvinsmomma) | 23 comments The girls are very catty. Glad Josie has someone to hang out with thar doesn't seem to be falling into that trap, I love how Jake is not using his popularity to take advantage of Josie. Do not think much of the press. Josie should sue her former employer. How can he fire her for the slander that is written about her? While she's at it, she should sue the paper.

message 7: by Chelsi (new) - added it

Chelsi | 47 comments 1. The girl charecters were there but again everything was so vague. We know they are snotty but not much more. That is frustrating to me.
2. I actually like Jake a lot. He seems like a good guy.
3. I think that's to be expected. If you sign up for something like this bad press is bound to happen. It sucks but you have to expect it. I think Josue is handleing it well.
4. Its hard. I can see why the boss did it but it hardly seems fair to Josue. Your private life should be seperate from work in my opinion.

Side comment: the diary is woo corny. I'm really starting to wish the author left it out. It really has no necessary role in the book and is just cheesy.