The Stockholm Octavo The Stockholm Octavo discussion

Similar to Night Circus

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda I saw this book on the shelf at the library and didn't even read the back cover to see what it is about, then I noticed it somewhere on GoodReads.

I am looking for feedback from people who have finished reading this book and who also read the Night Circus. My pile of books to read before the end of the year is growing larger by the minute and everyday I seem to keep adding to the pile rather than making a dent in it.
To those who have read both books I am wondering if the tone, writing style etc. might be similar to the Night Circus.

message 2: by C.P. (last edited Dec 04, 2012 07:22PM) (new) - added it

C.P. Lesley I didn't read The Night Circus, so I can't answer that question—except to note that the two books seem very different, so I am not sure why you compare them. I did read The Stockholm Octavo and found it extraordinary. It's well worth reading, in and of itself. Why not give it a try?

Andy I was able to read an advanced copy of this book. In a way, it reminded me of the feeling I got when watching Barry Lyndon. I have not read The Night Circus but I believe TSO has more intrigue than romance. It reads like a good movie with very well written characters. I recommend it highly.

message 4: by C.P. (new) - added it

C.P. Lesley It also got a rave review in tomorrow's New York Times Book Review (tomorrow being 12/9/12).

Brenda Clough I have just finished reading it and posted a review.

message 6: by Karen (last edited Dec 17, 2012 09:18AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen I gave The Night Circus a 3 but Octavo a 5. I liked The Stockholm Octavo MUCH better than The Night Circus.

Peggy I wouldn't have even thought of comparing these two books until I saw your question. I think they're very different, but both worth reading. I definitely preferred The Night Circus for the sheer elegance of the language. I gave it 5 stars, but I rated The Stockholm Octavo 4 stars. I enjoyed the historical fiction aspect of the book. I'm looking forward to hearing Karen Engelmann speak at a conference in a few weeks.

Cheryl I loved the night circus and didnt care for octavo. I see the similarity, that both books had a few to many charactors. other then that the seem very different to me.

message 9: by Jane (last edited Feb 24, 2013 11:34AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jane I have not read Night Circus but did enjoy Stockholm Octavo. The fortune telling was a bit much for me, but I enjoyed the historial fiction aspect of Gustav III and his times.

Susan I have read both books, and I would not really connect the two. Except, however, that at some point I wasn't really sure what was going on. TSO had much more emphasis on being a period piece. I enjoy historical novels, especially those with a touch of the paranormal, so, I grabbed it right up. I really liked the beginning, and the end was fine, but I was completely confused by the middle of the book. It contained intrigue, however, and I am hopeless at understanding intrigue. I was interested in learning something about Sweden. I enjoyed NC better on the whole.

Kimber I've read both books and enjoyed both of them immensely. The only thing they really had in common was mysticism. However, I would classify The Night Circus as Historical Fantasy while TSO belongs firmly in the Historical Fiction genre. I love intrigue and both books were full of that quality but also contained vivid characters, detailed knowledge of customs of the time and opulent scenery. My recommendation is to enjoy each for it's own merit.