Harry Potter discussion

Questions > Muggle parents

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Boisture You know what I'm a little obsessed with thinking about? Muggle parents. Can you imagine being a parent and suddenly your kid turns eleven and you get a visit from a freaking OWL with a letter that tells your kid that he/she is a wizard/witch, and that your kid is going to be taken away from you to go to this school that you can never visit because it's unplottable to muggles and is going to study subjects which have no bearing on your life and which you can't understand. Not only that, your kid is basically going to be raised in a completely different world to grow up and do things which you can't understand. How do these parents let their kids go? I was listening to one of the HP books on CD and watching my son (who is 14 months) play and I was wondering what Hermione's parents were thinking, letting her go like that!
Dumbledore must go visit all the muggle parents and sweet talk them into giving up their kids....

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel my guess is, like harry, a lot of those kids display magical moments before they get their letter. the parents are probably stunned, yet thrilled to find out what the heck is up with their kid. and as far as sending them to hogwarts, i wouldn't be surprised if you were right about those parents getting visited from someone from hogwarts.

message 3: by Jayme (new)

Jayme | 13 comments In book 7, when looking into Snapes memories, Lily is asking him if her letter really does come by owl and he says that for most people it does, but since her parents are muggles, someone from Hogwarts will most likely have to come and explain it to her parents.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I've been thinking the same thing myself, and wondering how on earth they were able to convince them! I know if I suddenly learned that their was a secret community out there, a community capable of performing MAGIC for pete's sake, I would just about have a heart attack, and to find out my kid's a part of it...

message 5: by Karee (new)

Karee | 3 comments I agree, it sounds crazy that they let their kids go. The person from Hogwarts would have to do a damn good job of sweet-talking them into letting their children go off into a world they couldn't possibly ever understand.

message 6: by Maya (new)

Maya (numerounochewylover) | 270 comments Still, an old man that you've never heard of telling you your kid's a wizard and offering to train him? What about people with parents like the Dursley's? There is no force on Earth strong enough to make them send Dudley to Hogwarts! I wonder how many kids fell through the cracks and what they did with what little magic they had. Did the Ministry of Magic allow this? You'd think that with all of their rules it would be made illegal, but can you force someone to go to a boarding school not of their choice?

message 7: by Spence (new)

Spence (TheBlaze) | 4 comments MY guess on this subject is... you guys dont have a life.

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 34 comments Well, in the books, it always seems like the parents are always thrilled to find out that their kids a wizard, at least, thats what happened with Lily's parents. Ya, I guess it helps that the parents see a little bit of untrained magic ahead of time, so I guess they're prepared for it in a way.

message 9: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Boisture Wow Spence, how wonderful it must be to never have random thoughts like this cross your mind.

*Rolls eyes*

message 10: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (jamessangel) | 18 comments A muggle parent of a wizard child would likely spend the first 11 years wondering why their kid was so So SO different from other kids. How hard would it be to think your child was "abnormal" and destined for a life of self-denial, schizophrenia, or even possibly institutionalization? Just imagine their relief when someone from Hogwarts shows up to explain the child is not just "normal" but extraordinary.

I should think that any loving parent would be overjoyed at the news and thankful for the opportunity to let their child explore its potential in a nurturing and safe learning environment.

Remember that, while boarding school is still somewhat uncommon for primary/secondary education here in the States, it is not uncommon in Britain. Only the type of education provided at Hogwarts would be different from the normal curriculum.

message 11: by Adam (new)

Adam | 13 comments OK! Now you have just described (ALMOST), what a parent of a gay child goes through, only there is no one who knocks on the door and says, your child is special and "magical". No one ever tells these parents that it is ok, and things will be normal, you just have to suport them. I do agree that most "muggle" parents won't mind sending their "special" and "magical" children to a school for other "special" and "magical" children.

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 07, 2008 03:35PM) (new)

Spence-
We do 2 have a life. If you think we don't have a life, then you're crazy. These are amazing books, and we all enjoy reading them. Like they say, "If you don't have something good to say-" well, you fill in the blanks. Peace, ♥Valentine♥

message 13: by Spence (new)

Spence (TheBlaze) | 4 comments Wow Nikkkkkkkkki, u are a grown woman who reads CHILDREN'S BOOKS. i rest my case.

message 14: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Boisture No case to rest, Spence. I fully own up to reading Children's books along with a healthy variety of other books as well. The idea that a book is not worthy of reading simply because the intended audience is of the under-18 set is simply a fallacy. In re-reading many books I adored during my childhood, I find myself with a different perspective on an author's voice or on events in the story. My hope is that many of the kids/adolescents in this group will re-read the Harry Potter series once they get into their 30's and beyond. I think they will be pleasantly surprised by nuances they may have missed in their earlier lives. One example is the very subject of this topic. Until I had a child of my own, I never would have considered what it must have done to muggle parents to let their child enter a school that they can not visit and let them enter a world in which they will never have a part, and all at the tender age of eleven.

I'm sorry you have a problem with opening your mind to a good story and allowing yourself to get lost in a good book. If you continue to judge a book by what a publisher is telling you is the "appropriate age," you could truly miss out.

message 15: by Maya (new)

Maya (numerounochewylover) | 270 comments congrats, nikki! well said. who does spence think he is?

message 16: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 1 comments Spence u always make things interesting. lol

message 17: by Gunjari (new)

Gunjari (Irajnug) | 732 comments spence! what a mean thing to say!
plus, they aren't childrens books you know. the harry potter books were also voted "best teen pick" and "best adult novel" too! (or something along those lines, i don't remember the exact awards, just that they were read by teens and adults!)
so HAH!
anyways, why would it matter if they were childrens books? YOU don't seem that grown up yourself!

message 18: by Suz (new)

Suz | 145 comments Well said Nikki, very articulate retort!
I agree with whoever said that boarding schools are common in the UK - they are. I have also wondered about how muggle parents would react to the revelation that their child is magical, the shock must be phenominal - being an adult trying to comprehend the existence of another world. I think after they have become more acclimatised to the idea actually sending their child away to school wouldnt be such a huge deal. Over here if someone offered to send any child through boarding school the parents would seriously think about it as it would be a massive opportunity for the childs future. (Although in all honesty I seriously doubt that I could send my child away to school - whatever the situation! - Mind you if Dumbledore appears at my door in the next couple of months I might be persuaded!!)

message 19: by Gunjari (new)

Gunjari (Irajnug) | 732 comments but... he's dead... *SOB!!!*
and where is that spence character! i would like to give him a peice of my mind!

message 20: by Suz (new)

Suz | 145 comments just give him that piece of your mind that is totally Harry Potter!

message 21: by Gunjari (new)

Gunjari (Irajnug) | 732 comments hmmm... here goes:
i understand that you do not like harry potter. hey, nobody has too! you can like whatever you want. however, it becomes disgraceful/mean to talk derisivly to others who do not share your interests. so, keep your mean words to yourself. also, if harry potter's such a CHILDRENS book, then why are you in the group? (burn!)
there, i managed it with out blowing my head off/ making all of the words "******"! :)

message 22: by Maya (new)

Maya (numerounochewylover) | 270 comments nice, gunjari. but i beg to differ; anyone who doesn't like HP is a nobody.

message 23: by Gail (new)

Gail | 28 comments I also am an adult who is eclectic in her choice of book genre, author, etc. I have read many "classics" ( War and Peace, Jane Eyre, Madame Bovary(in French),Dickens, Steinbeck, Garcia Marquez, Sartre, Moliere, etc.) and enjoyed them as well as C.S. Lewis' "children's" series "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" plus his others. I have thousands of books and I enjoy them all. I love the Harry Potter series and have read all of them in English and most in Spanish and French. I teach high school Spanish and in the 5th year, the students may choose to read HP in Spanish. They always do so. I relate it to myths,legends,science,morality ,vocabulary and word origins,grammar, and higher-level thinking as we have fun while learning. Most of these students go on to pass rigorous Advanced placement exams in Spanish and Literature as well as many other subjects. One national merit finalist is now at Harvard - and he still enjoys Harry potter. So it may be that the intricacies of the series are too detailed and difficult for some people to enjoy as they age. How sad for them!

message 24: by Suz (new)

Suz | 145 comments lol - well said Gail. There should always be a place for imagination no matter what your stage in life! In fact I have found it increasingly necessary to dive into my imagination the older I have become!

message 25: by Gail (new)

Gail D.C. | 31 comments I have enjoyed all the coments above and I think that with the whole school question thing is that the parents have a choice. I would be a little surprised if all the people who were invited to attend Hogwarts actually did.

This is a school of for lack of a better word "Good Magic". No one is going to come in and put a spell on the parents or anything to make them send there children to the school.

The representative of the school mearly comes to inform, explain, and answer any questions that may arise. Like any school the child can be expeled and I am sure if it came to the fact that the child did not like the school they could leave at any time.

As far as communicating with the child they do get owl mail daily. If the muggle parents were arvers to using the owl post I am sure there is something built into the regular postal system to let the letters through.

These are just some thoughts I hope I don't offened any as I think this is a good discution.
There have been times in my life that I think going a way to school would have been fun. Some kids, not unlike harry and snape would have found it a blessing or an answer to their prayers to go and find a place where things could hopefully only be better.

ps. not the same gail as above. :)

message 26: by Gunjari (new)

Gunjari (Irajnug) | 732 comments i luv all you guys!

message 27: by Maya (new)

Maya (numerounochewylover) | 270 comments you guys, too! life as an hp fanatic is good, so good...
anyway, if do you think that any of the wizarding schools (*cough cough* Durmstrang) would really stoop as low as to force muggle parents into letting their children go there? that would be kind of weird...