The Challenge Factory discussion

♦Factory Archives♦ > Cut The Cable Reading Challenge 2013 (Books & TV)

Comments (showing 1-50 of 57) (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Oberth | 41 comments CUT THE CABLE READING CHALLENGE

The challenge is to read books that were made into TV shows and/or novelizations based on TV shows.

(Examples, 'Perry Mason', 'Dresden Files', 'Doctor Who'.

The first two were books made into TV shows, the last was a TV show first.)

The challenge runs from January 1, 2013 to December 31, 2013.

You have to read the books in 2013.

Short stories count (example, 'Sherlock Holmes', 'Jeeves and Wooster')
Rereads count
Crossovers with other reading challenges count

Casual Viewer - 6 books
Couch Potato - 12 books
TV Junkie - 18 books
TV Addict - 24 books

I am going to allow non-fiction books in this challenge as long as they are written by, or are about, an actor/personality that has been on television.

Below, I've listed possible reads in different categories. You don't have to pick from the categories, I'm just using them to illustrate how diverse this challenge can be!

a) Mystery/Detective

Examples include 'Diagnosis Murder', 'Monk', 'Perry Mason', 'Sherlock Holmes', 'Agatha Christie', 'Ellery Queen', 'Hamish Macbeth', 'Columbo', 'Psych'.

b) Sci-Fi

Examples include 'Doctor Who', 'Red Dwarf', 'Blake's 7', 'Torchwood', 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'.

c) Paranormal/Fantasy

Examples include 'Dresden Files', 'The Sword of Truth' series (novels) 'Legend of the Seeker' (TV), 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer', 'Charmed', 'The Dead Zone'.

d) Humor

Examples include 'Jeeves and Wooster'.

e) Adventure

Examples include 'Burn Notice', 'Zorro', 'A-Team', '24'.

f) Reality

Examples include 'The Garner Files: A Memoir' by James Garner, 'Destination Truth: Memoirs of a Monster Hunter' by Josh Gates, 'David Janssen - My Fugitive' by Ellie Janssen, 'From The Holocaust to Hogan's Heroes: The Autobiography of Robert Clary' by Robert Clary.

Movies don't count for this challenge. The book could have been a movie but it has to have been a TV series (even if it didn't last all that long!). 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' was a movie, a book and a TV show and would count for this challenge. 'James Bond' was books and then movies, I don't believe it was ever a TV show so it wouldn't count.

I hope you like this challenge and take it on and have fun with it!

I'm going to have it on my blog, too, so we can post our progress year long. (I didn't see any posts in other challenges here about progress after the start date.)

Post in the comments any other books from TV (or vice versa) that you find! That's part of the fun of this challenge, finding books you wouldn't think of.

message 2: by Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave (last edited Apr 23, 2013 09:48AM) (new)

Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave (HarryDresdensLoveSlave) | 610 comments Couch Potato 10 books:

6/10

Dresden Files: 1

1: Changes (The Dresden Files, #12) by Jim Butcher2/26/13 2: Ghost Story (The Dresden Files, #13) by Jim Butcher 3: Cold Days (The Dresden Files, #14) by Jim Butcher

Hamish Macbeth: 3

1: Death of a Dustman (Hamish Macbeth, #17) by M.C. Beaton 1/29/132: Death of a Celebrity by M.C. Beaton 2/4/133: Death of a Village (Hamish Macbeth, #19) by M.C. Beaton 3/13

The Ladies #1 Detective Agency:1

1: The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #13) by Alexander McCall Smith2/15/13

True Blood: 1

Deadlocked (Sookie Stackhouse, #12) by Charlaine Harris 4/18/13

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Oberth | 41 comments Hmm...good question. I say yes. TV movies count.

Welcome aboard, Mary!

message 4: by Kattibrie (new)

Kattibrie | 103 comments Oh, so many possibilities! :P I was planning on reading more of the Dresden Files next year (I just started the series), rereading Sherlock Holmes for the Really...hard Challenge, rereading the first 4 books of Song of Ice and Fire before starting A DAnce with Dragons and I always some Star Trek books waiting for me. I also wanted to try the Temperance Brennan series (before starting to watch Bones), and read some of Michio Kaku's books that I haven't read yet (there a TV documentaries based on them). There may be more! :) So, yyeah, I'm definitely in! I'll post my list once we get nearer to January. ;)

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Oberth | 41 comments Awesome!

Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave (HarryDresdensLoveSlave) | 610 comments The Tempy Brennan books are nothing like the show. Just an FYI.

message 7: by Inkeri (new)

Inkeri Mary wrote: "The Tempy Brennan books are nothing like the show. Just an FYI."

I agree! I once started to read Déjà Dead and I never finished. It's still there on to-read list and I'm willing to give it a second chance.

message 8: by Kattibrie (new)

Kattibrie | 103 comments Mary wrote: "The Tempy Brennan books are nothing like the show. Just an FYI."

Thanks for the heads up, Mary! I still think I'm gonna try Deja Dead (whether before or after the series) and I'll decide if I'll continue with the series based on it. :)

message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley  (AshleyCW) | 349 comments I read the books first so the show was very wrong for me, but I think you just have to look at them as two completely different things, just like Sookie Stackhouse and TrueBlood - while the show is based on the books, they aren't the same AT ALL

And as far as Psych goes, I think the show was first and there were novels made after that. At least all the books ive seen have Dule Hill and James Roday on the cover

Also I am in for Couch Potato

message 10: by Kattibrie (new)

Kattibrie | 103 comments Hm... never watched/read True Blood. But if I understand correctly it's the same as The Sword of Truth Series and Legend of the Seeker - basically the only thing in common between the are he names of the characters :|

PS Not sure yet, but I'll probably try the TV Addict difficulty, since we have a whole year for this...

message 11: by Ashley (new)

Ashley  (AshleyCW) | 349 comments The first season is pretty close to the first book. After that all hell breaks loose.

Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave (HarryDresdensLoveSlave) | 610 comments That's how I look at the TV shows and books. They rarely follow exactly and often not even closely at all. Although I've never read a book series that was created after a TV show. I read the Sookie books and the Tempy Brennan books before they had TV shows. I like the Sookie books better and don't watch the show anymore. I like both the Bones tv show and books. But I don't try to relate them to each other.

message 13: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Ezinwanyi | 13742 comments Mod
I think I will try this one though I'm not sure which show /book it will be. Maybe Sword of truth/Legend of the seeker. Maybe the Game of Thrones.

I also heard Bitten and the Otherworlds books by Kelley Armstrong will be a show.

P.s. for romance readers, a lot of Jodi. Picoult books are made for t.v movies

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm in will choose level later :D

message 15: by Paris (new)

Paris (PAH13) | 4290 comments How about books that were "written" in a tv show and then published in real life like the Derek Storm and Nikki Heat books from the tv show Castle?

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Oberth | 41 comments I forgot to mention that - they count. I was thinking the same thing and couldn't think of any other examples except for the Nikki Heat books in 'Castle'. Can anyone think of any others?

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Oberth | 41 comments Oh, and I'm doing the TV addict level. I'm so glad there's so much interest in this challenge - it's gonna be fun!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for mentioning nikki heat , I have been meaning to read them for a long time !

message 19: by Paris (new)

Paris (PAH13) | 4290 comments Sweet. I think I'll sign up for the TV Addict level. I have the most recent 2 Nikki Heat books to read, all but the first of Dresden files and the Game of Thrones books...Should be able to hit 24 books in a year.

Another one that people can look for are the Rizzoli and Isles books by Tess Gerritsen. There's also The Vampire Diaries and the Secret Circle by L.J. Smith and there are Supernatural books that were written based on the show. Same with Criminal Minds.

message 20: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

I heard Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater, Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater and Forever (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #3) by Maggie Stiefvater b Maggie Stievfater will be a TV movie too

message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura im in and go with Couch Potato

message 22: by Camilla (new)

Camilla (Cyqua) Sounds great! :) I have plenty of books that fit this that I plan to read in 2013! I wish I was lucky enough to have all of the Dresden Files to read - favourite series!
Just a quick question before I post my list: Can we start on a lower level and then maybe update if we can manage more?

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Oberth | 41 comments Absolutely, yes. You can move to a higher level - but not to a lower one!

I love the 'Dresden Files' novels but I find I can only seem to stomach three in a row. Then it's a bit too much for me and I take months worth of a break.

message 24: by Camilla (last edited May 10, 2013 08:19AM) (new)

Camilla (Cyqua) Cut The Cable Reading Challenge 2013 (Books & TV)
Duration: 1 January - 31 December 2013

Couch Potato - 6/12 books

1. Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard 21/01/13 ♥♥♥
2. Cold Days by Jim Butcher 05/02/13 ♥♥♥♥
3. Doctor Who: The Stone Rose by Jacqueline Rayner 08/02/13 ♥♥♥
4. Doctor Who: The Feast of the Drowned by Stephen Cole 16/02/13 ♥♥♥
5. Club Dead by Charlaine Harris 13/04/13 ♥♥♥½
6. Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris 14/04/13 ♥♥♥½

message 25: by Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave (last edited Dec 08, 2012 07:36PM) (new)

Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave (HarryDresdensLoveSlave) | 610 comments There's a shelf called Books-Made-Into-TV-Shows(got 28 swagbucks for searching Books Turned Into TV Shows). But it's short and has a lot of kids books on it.

The TV shelf has over 3,000 books on it. tv

I forgot about Dexter and The Ladies #1 Detective Agency. DD and I loved that show and they only did 1 season.

Not sure what The Hunger Games has to do with TV though other than it being about a TV show.

message 26: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Last night I saw “Tales from Earthsea” which are shows based on a book series by Ursula K. Le Guin. According to internet folks, it is a horrible adaptation. I tried reading the books, there were dnf for me. So I guess they made the show much more palatable (LOL)

message 27: by Karol (last edited Mar 14, 2013 02:48AM) (new)

Karol I'm in - and I'll go out on a limb and shoot for the TV Addict level!

My initial thoughts are mysteries: Perry Mason, Diagnosis Murder, Murder She Wrote, Sherlock Holmes, Monk

Plus Peyton Place, Please Don't Eat the Daisies, Winds of War, The Stand, and Roots for starters.

CUT THE CABLE READING CHALLENGE
Time Frame: Jan 1, 2013 - Dec 31, 2013
TV Addict - 24 books

1. The Case of the Velvet Claws, by Erle Stanley Gardner (Perry Mason)
2. The Case of the Rolling Dice, by Erle Stanley Gardner (Perry Mason)
3. Tea Time for the Traditionally Built, by Alexander McCall Smith (The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency)

message 28: by Zuzana (last edited Apr 21, 2013 01:24PM) (new)

Zuzana | 953 comments I'm going for the Couch Potato, might move to a higher level later.

Time Frame: Jan 1, 2013 - Dec 31, 2013
Couch Potato - 12 books
Read: 12+3/12
completed Apr 9, 2013

1. Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris (True Blood) Jan 2, 2013 **
2. Mr. Midshipman Hornblower by C.S. Forester (Hornblower) Jan 3, 2013 ***
3. Lieutenant Hornblower by C.S. Forester (Hornblower) Jan 4, 2013 ****
4. Hornblower: Hornblower and the Hotspur by C.S. Forester (Hornblower) Jan 6, 2013 ****
5. Hornblower During the Crisis by C.S. Forester (Hornblower) Jan 7, 2013 ***
6. The Leper of Saint Giles by Ellis Peters (Cadfael) Jan 12, 2013 ***
7. Hornblower: Hornblower and the Atropos by C.S. Forester (Hornblower) Jan 16, 2013 ****
8. Déjà Dead by Kathy Reichs (Bones) Jan 24, 2013 **
9. St. Peter's Fair by Ellis Peters (Cadfael) Jan 25, 2013 ***
10. His Last Bow by A.C. Doyle (Sherlock Holmes) Jan 27, 2013 ***
11. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum Jan 30, 2013 ****
12. The Big Four by Agatha Christie (Poirot) Jan 31, 2013 **
Bonuses:
13. Beat to Quarters by C.S. Forester (Hornblower) Feb 5, 2013 ****
14. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie (Poirot) Mar 24, 2013 ****
15. Oranges are Not the Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson Apr 9, 2013 ***

Dead To The World (Sookie Stackhouse, #4) by Charlaine Harris Mr. Midshipman Hornblower by C.S. Forester Lieutenant Hornblower by C.S. Forester Hornblower Hornblower and the Hotspur by C.S. Forester Hornblower During the Crisis by C.S. Forester The Leper of Saint Giles (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael #5) by Ellis Peters Hornblower Hornblower and the Atropos by C.S. Forester Déjà Dead (Temperance Brennan, #1) by Kathy Reichs St. Peter's Fair (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael #4) by Ellis Peters His Last Bow (Sherlock Holmes, #8) by Arthur Conan Doyle The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5) by Agatha Christie Beat to Quarters by C.S. Forester The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot #4) by Agatha Christie Oranges are Not the Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson

TV shows:
True Blood (HBO)
Hornblower - mini-series starting with Even Chance (ITV, A&E)
Cadfael - TV series (Central television)
Sherlock Holmes - TV series (Granada)
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz - animated TV series (HBO, originally made in Japan)
Agatha Christie's Poirot - TV series (LWT)
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz animated TV series
Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit - TV Mini-Series (BBC)

message 29: by KimM (last edited Jan 01, 2014 10:20AM) (new)

KimM Cut the Cable Challenge 2013

Level Casual COMPLETE
6/6

1. Cloud Atlas 4/6/13 ♥♥♥♥♥
2. Darkly Dreaming Dexter Dexter-Showtime 1/8/13 ♥♥♥♥
3. Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe ♥♥♥ 12/31/13
4. The Great Gatsby 4/18/13 ♥♥♥♥♥
5. It10/26/13 ♥♥♥♥♥
6. The StandTV Mini Series 1/26/13 ♥♥♥♥

message 30: by KimM (new)

KimM Can I do Stephen Colbert's books?

message 31: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Oberth | 41 comments Books written by or about him, then yes. (Did I answer your question? I'm not familiar enough with him to know!)

message 32: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 5 comments I'm in -- sounds fun and I have the Sookie and Dresden Files books laying around the house already :-D

I'll decide books and level later.

message 33: by KimM (new)

KimM Jennifer wrote: "Books written by or about him, then yes. (Did I answer your question? I'm not familiar enough with him to know!)"

Kim M. wrote: "Can I do Stephen Colbert's books?"

yes :) you did. He hosts a news satire show on Comedy Central. And he writes books.

message 34: by JenniferJ (last edited Jan 16, 2013 07:56PM) (new)

JenniferJ | 357 comments I'm gonna try to go all in. (Reserved Spot)

Duration: January 1, 2013 to December 31, 2013.
Level: TV Addict - 24 books
0/24

message 35: by Megan (new)

Megan (Celtic_Girl) | 426 comments CUT THE CABLE READING CHALLENGE
Duration: January 1, 2013 to December 31, 2013.
Level: TV Addict - 24 books

message 36: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Elizabeth (Michelle-El) I'll give it a try, wih casual viewer (6 books); all I have to read at the moment (in my possesion) are Sword of Truth novels, and I read all 5 books for Game of Thrones in 2011/12

message 37: by Turtlecollector (last edited Apr 02, 2013 09:35AM) (new)

Turtlecollector | 767 comments Timeframe: Jan - Dec 2013
Level: TV Addict
Completed: 5/24

1. The Mysterious Affair At Styles by Agatha Christie 1/5/13 4♥
2. Murder on the Links by Agatha Christie 1/10/13 4♥
3. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie 2/4/13 4♥
4. A Study in Scarlet by A Conan Doyle 3/28/13 3♥
5. Heat Wave by Richard Castle 4/1/13 3♥

message 38: by Suzanne (last edited Jan 02, 2014 07:16AM) (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 1058 comments The Challenge Factory
Cut The Cable Reading Challenge 2013 (Books & TV)
Duration:
1/1/2013 - 12/31/2013

The challenge is to read books that were made into TV shows and/or novelizations based on TV shows

Charlaine Harris, Jim Butcher, Richard Castle, Bones, etc;

Progress: 10 out of 6

1. True Blood: Dead and Gone by Charlaine Harris - ***** - 1/22/2013
2. Dresden Files: Storm Front by Jim Butcher - ***** - 3/11/2013
3. True Blood: Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris - **** - 4/22/2013
4. Dresden Files: Welcome to the Jungle by Jim Butcher - ***** - 7/28/2013
5. Dresden Files: The Dresden Files: Storm Front, Volume 1: The Gathering Storm by Jim Butcher - ***** - 7/30/2013
6. Dresden Files: The Dresden Files: Storm Front, Volume 2: Maelstrom by Jim Butcher - ***** - 8/1/2013
7. Dresden Files: Fool Moon by Jim Butcher - **** - 9/3/2013
8. Dark Shadows: Hawkes Harbor by S.E. Hinton - **** - 9/21/2013
9. Dresden Files: Grave Peril by Jim Butcher - ***** - 10/28/2013
10. True Blood: Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris - **** - 11/21/2013

Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse, #9) by Charlaine Harris Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) by Jim Butcher Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse, #10) by Charlaine Harris Welcome to the Jungle (The Dresden Files, #0.5) by Jim Butcher The Dresden Files Storm Front, Volume 1 The Gathering Storm by Jim Butcher The Dresden Files Storm Front, Volume 2 Maelstrom by Jim Butcher Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2) by Jim Butcher Hawkes Harbor by S.E. Hinton Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3) by Jim Butcher Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse, #11) by Charlaine Harris

message 39: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid | 13 comments The Challenge Factory
Cut The Cable Reading Challenge 2013 (Books & TV)
Duration: 1/1/2013 - 12/31/2013
Complete: 0/24 (TV Addict)

message 40: by JoLene (last edited Dec 30, 2012 10:10PM) (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 5 comments The Challenge Factory
Cut the Cable Reading Challenge
Level: Couch Potato - 12 books

message 41: by Sanz (new)

Sanz I'll start off with the Casual Viewer Level...

01 Jan '13 to 31 Dec '13
Done: 0/6

message 42: by ♕Shannon (last edited Aug 18, 2013 02:15PM) (new)

♕Shannon (Snsanders) | 16 comments The Challenge Factory

Level: Casual Viewer
6/6 Completed
DONE!

1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - 1/8
2. The Host - 3/18
3. The Great Gatsby - 3/20
4. Ender's Game - 6/20
5. Stardust - 7/12
6. The Lightning Thief - 8/17

message 43: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (Engelsigh) | 213 comments I'll start with Casual Viewer

01 Jan '13 to 31 Dec '13

Done: 0/6

message 44: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Oberth | 41 comments I'm loving some of the book choices!

I've made two posts on my blog where we can update our progress and post our reviews.
Progress
Reviews

(If that isn't allowed, please delete this and then let me know. As I've said before, I haven't seen people update or post reviews here. I'm not trying to drive people away from this great Goodreads Group - just want somewhere we can chat about the progress/reviews over the year!)

Thank you!!!

message 45: by maria helena (last edited Mar 16, 2013 12:39PM) (new)

maria helena (mariahel) | 352 comments CUT THE CABLE READING CHALLENGE
Duration: January 1, 2013 - December 31, 2013
Level: Couch Potato
12/12 Completed

1. Struck By Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal by Chris Colfer ★★★ 1.2.13
2. The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot ★ 1.5.13
3. Dear John by Nicholas Sparks ★★ 1.12.13
4. Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl ★★★ 1.16.13
5. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabert Gilbert ★★★ 2.1.13
6. Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen by Julie Powell ★★★ 2.1.13
7. Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg ★★★ 2.7.13
8. Bringing Down the House: The Inside Story of Six M.I.T. Students Who Took Vegas for Millions by Ben Mezrich ★★★ 2.8.13
9. Penelope by Marilyn Kaye ★★★★ 2.24.13
10. Beastly by Alex Flinn ★★★ 2.27.13
11. Chocolat by Joanne Harris ★★★ 3.2.13
12. Snow White & the Huntsman by Lily Blake ★★★ 3.13.13

message 47: by H (last edited Mar 28, 2013 01:15AM) (new)

H (books_and_tea) | 81 comments Casual viewer (6 books)

Starting 1/1/13, finishing 31/12/13

1. Border Princes Read 18/1/13 (Torchwood)
2. The Troubled Man (Wallander)
3. Doctor Who: The Three Doctors Read 3/3/13 (Doctor Who)
4. Doctor Who: The Nightmare of Black Island Read 23/3/13 (Doctor Who)
5. The Twilight Streets Read 27/3/13 (Torchwood)
6. Excelsior: Forged in Fire (Star Trek)

message 48: by Fairlee (new)

Fairlee Corkran | 58 comments I m going for TV Junkie

Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave (HarryDresdensLoveSlave) | 610 comments If anyone likes noir type, older mysteries, I just used a discount voucher on Amazon to buy an old 87th Precinct book by Ed Mcbain. So out of curiosity, I googled it and it turns out that there were some TV movies and a short lived TV show based on the books.

Anyway, they are short reads and cheap and lendable on Kindle and some, if not all, are part of the Kindle Lending library.

message 50: by Elissa (last edited Feb 16, 2013 06:56PM) (new)

Elissa (ElissaKane) I'm staring out as a Couch Potato.

Duration: January 1, 2013 - December 31, 2013
Level: Couch Potato
0/12 Completed

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Déjà Dead (other topics)
Shiver (other topics)
Linger (other topics)
Forever (other topics)
Cold Days (other topics)