Genealogy discussion

Welcome to the Goodreads Genealogy group!

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Salinas | 1 comments Mod
I'm looking forward to sharing ideas with you about good family history reads.

message 2: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2 comments Hi. This is a great idea. I've added four books
for now.

message 3: by Will (new)

Will (oldbosun) | 4 comments Hi,

I'm new (obviously), a local historian in Middle Tennessee, and I'm the author of a book on researching and writing American local and family history.

message 4: by Pat (new)

Pat Simmons (goodreadscomauthorpatsimmons) | 10 comments I'm so excited to be among others who enjoy digging up dead people (through generalogy only, of course), my husband always says "Let the dead rest in peace."
Be blessed everybody.
Pat
www.patsimmons.net

message 5: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Bump (Mountainsweetie) | 2 comments Pat... I know exactly what you mean. I disappear and my husband knows I am on the computer "playing with my dead people"!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I have done a little genealogy and belong to a few MyFamily groups online. I especially like FindaGrave.com also. Its very helpful. Some of the groups I am on for this post the last names they are looking for. Would that be appropriate here?

message 7: by Robin (last edited Sep 04, 2010 01:53AM) (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I am new to being on a genealogy website such as this, I have been delving into the past via find a grave, ancestry.com, nara for native american cherokee bloodline. I am very much interested in getting a newer perspective on what is available out there as far as different websites.

message 8: by Didi (new)

Didi (penathey) | 22 comments Robin, that is one of my areas of some expertise and I know about a lot of things that most people don't know are out there. Let's talk about that. It it gets too long, we can go to email.

message 9: by Robin (last edited Sep 04, 2010 02:17AM) (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Sure, I think I am in a stalled mode at the moment I don;t know where to pursue, I also am trying to keep all my trees in order on ancestry.com, sometimes one name feeds into the next, even my mother is researching she was looking up my native american ancestor from louisiana, and i found some stuff at the state archives here but it takes an inordinate amount of time to extract anything out of their microfiche files. I went once, and have not returned, i felt both intimidated and not savvy enough to feed the microfiche into the machine. I felt like a fool, i do know that if i am to obtain any kind of leeway, it would be through there, We also have a reunion on said ancestor this weekend, but I got into a falling out with the genealogy person, so I added lots to her genealogy,

message 10: by Didi (new)

Didi (penathey) | 22 comments That sounds familiar, giving and not getting much back, sad to say. There are other resources in LA that you might not known about. Email me and I'll see if I can get you unstuck.

message 11: by Liz (new)

Liz | 379 comments Robin wrote: "it takes an inordinate amount of time to extract anything out of their microfiche files. I went once, and have not returned, i felt both intimidated and not savvy enough to feed the microfiche into the machine."

Robin, it does feel a bit intimidating the first time you try anything new! It gets easier with time and after a few visits, you really start to feel at home. Feel free to ask for help! Everyone needs help at the start.

message 12: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Yeah like learning how my computer works, I still am not 100% proficient on it, but given time, I will get better. Thanks for the encouragements everyone.

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 1 comments I've been on goodreads for a while and just happened to stumble onto this group after reading In the Blood, by Steve Robinson. My two favorite hobbies, genealogy and reading! I've been researching my family ancestry for about 15 years. I love ancestry.com. Have just ordered my DNA kit.
I love reading, southern fiction is my favorite. I like history if it's something that I can connect with my ancestors. For years I would carry a book with me every I went, now I have a kindle that I take everywhere. It also has an ancestry app with my family tree on it. I love it.

message 14: by Maryd (new)

Maryd | 30 comments Lisa, i too am hooked on genealogy, for several years now. my mom & dad had both worked on their trees, so now it's my turn. i had my ancestry.com dna test! let us all know what you learn. mine came back 44%British Isles, 25% Scandinavian, 24% Central Europe, 7% Persian/Turkish. i have no idea where the last one came from but the other 3 make sense. most of my family tree shows england as country of origin. i also love historical fiction. right now i'm reading Here be Dragons by Sharon Penman, i think i got that name right, anyway, it's about king John's daughter Joanna & husband Llewellen from Wales. after i started this group (part of goodreads too), i discovered a chart that shows this is one of my family lines- it's not all verified, but interesting to imagine & read about.
Mary

message 15: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 23 comments Maryd, be careful with royalty links, they are often fabricated and there are lots of false charts out there. That's not to say it's not true in some cases but I would approach it with great skepticism.

message 16: by Steve (new)

Steve Robinson (steverobinson) | 1 comments I've had a quite an amazing breakthrough with my family history search. Anyone who has read my author bio will know that I've had a mystery in my family tree in that my maternal grandfather was a GI who went back to America after WW2 leaving my grandmother and then 2 year old mother behind. I don't think he even knew that my grandmother was pregnant with my uncle when he left. Anyway, I was contacted by someone in Maine who wrote to say that she enjoyed my books and we got talking - she's a copy-editor, amateur genealogist and is also a writer so we had lots in common. The upshot is that with the information I was able to provide her from my own research to date she helped to find my grandfather. I found out that he was one of eight children so it seems that I have quite an extensive American family. As expected by now he's no longer with us, having died in 1990, but it's good to know where he's buried and my mother, saddened as she was that finding him has come so many years too late, was very happy to be sent a photograph of his headstone at the cemetery where he's buried, which was kindly taken by a member of FindAGrave.com. Needless to say, this was a very happy and unexpected side to being a writer.

message 17: by Maryd (new)

Maryd | 30 comments Robin wrote: "Maryd, be careful with royalty links, they are often fabricated and there are lots of false charts out there. That's not to say it's not true in some cases but I would approach it with great skepti..."

right now my sisters and I just think it's fun, but i've been writing down only verified facts in my actual tree. nobody seems to think we're princesses anyway! haha

message 18: by Geordy (new)

Geordy | 3 comments Hello everyone. Genealogy for me is my escape from today, my exploring and my introduction to my family who made up who I am, therefore my journey to myself. Weird...isnt it that this is also so damn frustrating, annoying, as well as fun at times.... just like the family we are or have lived with... Hi from Australia to all out there in the rest of the world who are just as crazy to come on this journey of discovery (when we actually so come across we can call a discovery)

message 19: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Hi. I probably shouldn't be joining this group since I'm already in too many (fortunately not all super active), and I'm a co-moderator of the Science & Inquiry group. But I can't resist.

I'm not actively involved in any genealogical research at the moment although I have been in the past. However, I still retain my interest. My experience was back in the 80s and 90s before it became so completely computerized. Looks like I have a lot to catch up on.

My primary genealogical interest at the moment however is to find information about my half-sister. I discovered several years ago that my mother had a daughter before she married my father in the late 1930s in Cincinnati, Ohio. She tried to keep the child for a while but had to eventually give her up for adoption. It was a different time back then. Mother was unemployed and in a big city abandoned by her family in the middle of the depression.

I know a fair amount about my sister -- adoptive name, adoptive father name and profession, birth date. I even have some pictures. But I'd like to know more. I'm not sure whether I want to actually contact her; it would depend on what I find out. She may not even be alive, since she was born in 1935.

Right now, I just want to know information about her -- is she alive, did she marry, did she have children. My mother is 98 and doing surprisingly well, but her memory is failing. Before she forgets completely, I'd like to be able to find out something about her lost daughter for her.

Anyway, I would appreciate any advice any of you could offer for resources. I already want to check that book on Google researching in your shelves. Are any of you from Ohio, especially the Cincinnati area, and if so do you know of any researchers I might be able to hire? I live in Seattle, and travel is just too difficult for me any more.

Anyway, thanks for any help you can give me.

message 20: by Denise (new)

Denise (texasdaughter) | 1 comments Betsy:

Contact the Historical Society in the area you wish to research. If they do not have the resources to assist you, they can provide you with the names and contact information for professional genealogists.

Good Luck.

Denise

message 21: by Kellie (new)

Kellie Smith (KellieLSmith) | 2 comments Betsy:

My name is Kellie and I have been doing genealogy on my own and my husbands family lines for aout 2 decades now. I am trying to start doing genealogy professionally but it has been difficult to get started. I would be willing to put in a few hours of researching and seeing what I might be able to find for you (no promises as you never know what you can find and what is hiding in more difficult places) in exchange for a "review" from you that I can use in advertising and such (website, brochure, etc).

If you like this idea, my personal email is:
tracingyourtree.kellie@gmail.com

Thanks so much!

message 22: by Geordy (new)

Geordy | 3 comments That is a great offer Kellie. Share with us your specialty areas of research too, what areas you have been successful in and where about in the world are you from... best of luck with your venture.

message 23: by Kellie (new)

Kellie Smith (KellieLSmith) | 2 comments Geordy,

I currently live in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama but my family and I have lived in a number of places (Las Vegas, NV; Bozeman, MT; Tacoma and Puyallup, WA; Redondo Beach, CA; Johnson City, TN).

I enjoy doing census research and vital records the most because they are the most successful, but it is so much more rewarding when you find something that finally proves something you have struggled with!

I guess I would have to say my area of specialty is really United States research - and in many locations. I have a lot of lines that I work on that are located in Chicago, IL; Kokomo, IN; Lewis County, WA; Pike Co, KY; Tuscaloosa County, AL so I am most familiar with records in those areas at this point.

Thank you for asking.

message 24: by Richard (new)

Richard | 4 comments Hello,

I just joined the group.

I recently changed my major to family history & genealogy.