The Lost Challenges discussion

Archives - Monthly Challenges > December Scatergories

Comments (showing 1-50 of 69) (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (KatNHat) description

Scattergories is one of my favorite games to play, and reading one of my favorite pastimes, so I’ve combined the two.

The general rules of Scattergories are you are given a list of categories and a time limit. Then the letter dice is rolled and you have to come up with something that matches your letter and the category.

This “Challenge” works in conjunction with the other challenges you may participate in this month. You may use a book to fulfill multiple items (you don't have to read 12 books this month...don't worry!) While you are fulfilling the requirements of your other challenges, be on the lookout for the following items (they may be on the cover or mentioned in the book):

The Challenge: I will post a list of 12 categories, 6 general relating to any book, and 6 specific to that month. On the last day of the month before, I will post the letter of the month. You can start reading on the 1st. The goal is to get as many points as possible by the end of the month.

Duration: December 1 to December 31
Rules:
1.Any genre of books will work
2.Ebooks and audio count
3.You can read in any order
4.Rereads are ok but if you really reread the book

Points: You get one point for each category you can tie to a book, where the first letter begins with the letter of the month. You get double points for each time the letter of the month is used to begin a word (ex. for author if the letter was C, Cassandra Claire would be 2 points). We will not be deducting points for duplicate answers like the original game version does.

…..Note….. if you have already earned 1 point for an item and come across another item worth more points you can replace it. Please only list the one book that you are currently using for points.

Special categories are open for interpretation. As long as it is mentioned in the book and you can justify how it fits, it will work.

When you find one of the items list the Book Title and Author (or link the cover), date it, and specify where the item is found within the book. (i.e. page number, e-reader location, audio chapter)

Just like the regular game we will not use the letters Q, U, V, X, Y and Z. And no K either

Let me know if you have any questions.

message 2: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (last edited Nov 28, 2012 03:29PM) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (KatNHat) December

General
1.Book Title
2.Author
3.Main Character
4.Secondary Character
5.Place
6.Cover

Many December holidays are themed around GIFT giving and HOT candle light. In the Northern Hemisphere December has the shortest amount of daylight, making it the DARKest month. At the end of the month most people celebrate New Years Eve with a DRINK/toast. December's birthstone is the BLUE turquoise or zircon. The rest of the world may not be celebrating it but I will also be celebrating my WEDDING Anniversary this month.

December Specials
7.Gift
8.Hot
9.Dark
10.Drink
11.Blue
12.Wedding

message 3: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (last edited Nov 29, 2012 09:13AM) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (KatNHat) Letter of the month is C.

message 4: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (last edited Nov 28, 2012 03:26PM) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (KatNHat) Participants:

message 5: by ~Leslie~ (last edited Dec 17, 2012 04:12PM) (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) Duration: 12/1/12 - 12/31/12 Letter C

General
1.Book TitleConspiracy Game12/13/12 ***** stars 1 POINT
2.Author (Cassandra Clare)City of Ashes
3.Main Character (Connor MacKinnon) Defiant
4.Secondary Character (Tony Ceccarelli)Touch the Dark
5.Place (California) Tangle of Need 12/17/12 ***** stars 1 POINT
6.Cover (chain)Pride Matessee below 1 POINT

December Specials
7.Gift"...he sent Mariah gifts at Christmas..."p.258The Sweethearts' Knitting Club 12/7/12 *** stars 1 POINT
8.Hot"...Liam munched a crispy hot chip." p. 54Pride Mates 12/11/12 ***1/2 stars 2 POINTS
9.Dark"His skin had changed color, to a darker, much more violent hue." p. 151Conspiracy Game see above 2 POINTS
10.Drink"...cooling drinks of mulled wine."p.107The Reckoning
11.Blue "Max's blue eyes crinkled with amusement." p.16Only Yours 12/2/12 **** stars 1POINT
12.Wedding "Or a clandestine wedding."p.411The Reckoning 12/17/12 **** stars1 POINT

Only Yours (Fool's Gold, #5) by Susan Mallery The Sweethearts' Knitting Club (Twilight, Texas, #1) by Lori Wilde Pride Mates (Shifters Unbound, #1) by Jennifer Ashley Conspiracy Game (GhostWalkers, #4) by Christine Feehan Tangle of Need (Psy-Changeling, #11) by Nalini Singh The Reckoning (Welsh Princes, #3) by Sharon Kay Penman

message 6: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ | 1755 comments POINTS:

General
1.Book Title
2.Author
3.Main Character
4.Secondary Character
5.Place
6.Cover
7.Gift
8.Hot
9.Dark
10.Drink
11.Blue
12.Wedding

message 7: by PepperP0t (last edited Dec 24, 2012 06:34AM) (new)

PepperP0t  | 1369 comments I'm in -- happy anniversary & lovin' the comic!

Duration: 12/1/12 - 12/31/12

No Werewolves Allowed (Night Tracker, #2) by Cheyenne McCray - 12/2 (3stars); Colters' Lady (Colters' Legacy, #2) by Maya Banks 12/20 (4stars); Unstoppable Love with the Proper Stranger\Letters to Kelly by Suzanne Brockmann - 12/1 (3.75stars); The Force of Wind (Elemental Mysteries #3) by Elizabeth Hunter - 12/3 (4stars)

General - 12/4(4stars)
1. Book Title: Colters' Lady (by Maya Banks) (1pt)
2. Author: (No Werewolves Allowed) by Cheyenne McCray (1pt)
3. Main Character: (Colters' Lady) Colter Brothers (1 pt)
4. Secondary Character: (The Force of Wind) Carwyn (best friend of lead characters (1pt)
5. Place: (Colters' Lady) - Clyde, Colorado (2pts)
6. Cover: (Unstoppable: Love with the Proper Stranger\Letters to Kelly -- Bare chest (1pt)
December Specials
7. Gift: (No Werewolves Allowed -- pg 79) Every paranorm being has magic, no matter how little, and all types of beings that can shift have the gift of being able to transform completely back to the form they were in to begin with. (2pts)
8. Hot: (No Werewolves Allowed -- pg 12) An angry, hot flush rose from my chest, I set my clutch on the desk, managing not to slam it on the surface, but kept it close enough that I still had access to it. (3pts)
9. Dark: (No Werewolves Allowed -- pg 96)Johnson's features turned storm- cloud dark. (1pt)
10. Drink: (Unstoppable: Love with the Proper Stranger\Letters to Kelly -- pg 66) He could feel Kelly watching him as he opened his own can of soda and took a long drink. (2pts)
11. Blue: (No Werewolves Allowed -- pg 63) The change to my body was already happening and I could feel the roots of my hair starting to turn blue. (2pts)
12. Wedding: (Unstoppable: Love with the Proper Stranger\Letters to Kelly -- pg 107) Kevin hadn't mentioned that T. was coming to the wedding. (1pt)

message 8: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (LindyLee) I finished November was unable to come up with the number count and I have no page numbers since being blind i do all audio, if you let me int his monrht I could give you the number of CD's are cassets or the time it takes to read them. Someone looked up a couple for me, but not all

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (KatNHat) Of course you are welcome to join again Lindy. Don't sweat the page numbers. If the book hapens to give chapters you could list those or just disc 1 or disc 2. And if they just arn't there no biggie the challenge police won't come get you.

I am hoping to have more time this month to follow up on points, so hopefully i'll be able to help more.

message 10: by Steph Ann (last edited Dec 07, 2012 04:42PM) (new)

Steph Ann I'm in again! Hoping December is a better month for me than November was! :)

TLC December Scattergories
12/1/12-12/31/12
Letter: C

General
1.Book Title
2.Author
3.Main Character
4.Secondary Character - Carlina Carlyle The Replacement Read 12/3 (2 pts)
5.Place
6.Cover - Clouds The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff Read 12/3 (1 pt)

December Specials
7.Gift
8.Hot
9.Dark - The Replacement Read 12/3
She was wearing a dark colored dress with a high collar Kindle Loc 747 (2 pts)
10.Drink
11.Blue - The Replacement Read 12/3
Her lips were a chilly blue Kindle Loc 1380 (1 pt)
12.Wedding

Total Points: 6

message 11: by Jennifer H (last edited Dec 24, 2012 12:03AM) (new)

Jennifer H | 3938 comments December Scattergories
TLC December Scattergories
12/1/12-12/31/12
Letter:C

General
1.Book Title: Crimson City- 2 points
2.Author: Christopher Moore-The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror- 1 point
3.Main Character: Cornell, Travis-Watchers- 1point
4.Secondary Character: Captain Delia Cates- NYPD Red- 2 points
5.Place: Caldwell, NY-Lover Unleashed- 1 point
6.Cover: Cemetery-Nightwalker- 1 point

December Specials
7.Gift: Frog gave Toad a gift, was it a sweater? No. A new sled? No. A clock for his mantel? Yes, yes, yes.-Watchers Part 10 (07:08)- 1 point
8.Hot: The muscles of his calves and thighs were hot with pain.-WatchersPart 1 (27:09)- 1 point
9.Dark: In the light of black candles...-Lover Unleashed Disc 4, Track 1 (01:06)- 1 point
10.Drink: ...Fritz brought in the champagne flute...Lover Unleashed Disc 15, Track 7 (02:25)- 1 point
11.Blue:...he snagged a square of blue chalk-Lover Unleashed Disc 15, Track 5 (00:58)- 1point
12.Wedding: ...with a wedding chapel in Vegas.-Watchers Part 10 (48:17)- 1 point

Nightwalker by Jocelyn Drake:12/02
Lover Unleashed by J.R. Ward:12/05
Watchers by Dean Koontz:12/10
NYPD Red by James Patterson:12/15
The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror by Christopher Moore:12/22
Crimson City by Liz Maverick:12/24
Nightwalker (Dark Days, #1) by Jocelynn Drake Lover Unleashed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #9) by J.R. Ward Watchers by Dean Koontz NYPD Red by James Patterson The Stupidest Angel A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror by Christopher Moore Crimson City by Liz Maverick

message 12: by ❀Tea❀ (last edited Dec 19, 2012 07:32AM) (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) Points: 21

✔ 1. Book Title: A Cowboy for Christmas - 2 points
✔ 2. Author: Cleo Coyle - Holiday Buzz - 2 points
✔ 3. Main Character: Clare Cosi - Holiday Buzz - 2 points
✔ 4. Secondary Character: Claudia Moncrief - A Cowboy for Christmas - 1 point
✔ 5. Place: California - A Cowboy for Christmas - 1 point
✔ 6. Cover: Cat in a Chair - Grace Interrupted - 2 points

✔ 7. Gift: Got to buy the wife’s Christmas gift before she grabs the bonus! - Holiday Buzz, pg. 60-61 - 1 point
✔ 8. Hot: Move the hot cookies to a cooling rack. - Holiday Buzz, pg. 338 - 2 points
✔ 9. Dark: ...she was in the back of a dark closet and couldn’t see a thing - Foul Play, pg. 62-63 - 2 points
✔ 10. Drink: Apparently everyone wanted to try our new Caramel Swirl Latte, a drink you were supposed to stir between sips to boost the caramel flavor. - Holiday Buzz, pg. 33 - 1 point
✔ 11. Blue: ...the December sky remained free of clouds, its cobalt hue as clear as my favorite cop’s steady gaze. - Holiday Buzz, pg. 16-17 - 4 points
✔ 12. Wedding: Last Saturday, fifteen minutes before the wedding was to begin, with everyone gathered at the church... - Grace Interrupted, pg. 22 - 1 point

A Cowboy for Christmas by Lori Wilde - 01.12.12 ★★★★
The Chief by Monica McCarty - 05.12.12 ★★★★
Holiday Buzz by Cleo Coyle - 06.12.12 - ★★★
Foul Play by Janet Evanovich - 07.12.12 - ★★★
Grace Interrupted by Julie Hyzy - 10.12.12 - ★★★★

A Cowboy for Christmas A Jubilee, Texas Novel by Lori Wilde The Chief (Highland Guard, #1) by Monica McCarty Holiday Buzz (Coffeehouse Mystery, #12) by Cleo Coyle Foul Play by Janet Evanovich Grace Interrupted (A Manor of Murder Mystery, #2) by Julie Hyzy

message 13: by Hayley (last edited Dec 02, 2012 09:16PM) (new)

Hayley (Applesticker) I'm in for my first ever scategories (like, ever - I've never even played the normal version :P)

TLC December Scategories
Time Frame: 01.12.12 - 31.12.12

General
01.Book Title - Catching Fire
02.Author - Collins, Suzanne Catching Fire
03.Main Character
04.Secondary Character - Cinna, Catching Fire
05.Place - (the) Capitol Mockingjay
06.Cover

Many December holidays are themed around GIFT giving and HOT candle light. In the Northern Hemisphere December has the shortest amount of daylight, making it the DARKest month. At the end of the month most people celebrate New Years Eve with a DRINK/toast. December's birthstone is the BLUE turquoise or zircon. The rest of the world may not be celebrating it but I will also be celebrating my WEDDING Anniversary this month.

December Specials
07.Gift - "leaving one can of salmon for Tigris as meagre thanks for all she's done" (ch. 24) - Mockingjay
08.Hot - "steaming cups are handed out" (ch.11) = Mockingjay
09.Dark
10.Drink - "someone has finally broken out the coffee" (ch. 11) - Mockingjay
11.Blue
12.Wedding

Books
1. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins 02.12.12 ♥♥♥♥♥
2. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins 03.12.12 ♥♥♥♥

message 14: by Suzanne (last edited Dec 14, 2012 06:35AM) (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 1123 comments The Lost Challenges
December Scatergories
Duration:
12/1/2012 - 12/31/2012

•Letter: C

General
1.Book Title
2.Author
3.Main Character: Charles Cornick:
Fair Game by Patricia Briggs - ***** - 12/9/2012
4.Secondary Character: Curran Lennart:
Magic Slays by Ilona Andrews - ***** - 12/6/2012
5.Place: Chesapeake Shores:
The Inn At Eagle Point by Sherryl Woods - **** - 12/9/2012
6.Cover

Specials
7.Gift: "Then he'd return with gifts and wild stories, staying just long enough to convince everything that this time was different..."
The Substitute Millionaire by Susan Mallery
8.Hot: "Hot crimson drenched my fingers."
9.Dark: "For a breath, the city was dark."
10.Drink: "Being called Mate ranked somewhere between drinking sour milk and getting a root canal on my list of Things I Hated."
11.Blue: "Feylaterns glowed like tiny blue stars among the crumbling buildings."
12.Wedding: "Between Grigorii's chair, Roman waited, looking about as happy as the groom at a shotgun wedding."

Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5) by Ilona Andrews Fair Game (Alpha & Omega, #3) by Patricia Briggs The Inn At Eagle Point (Chesapeake Shores, #1) by Sherryl Woods The Substitute Millionaire by Susan Mallery

message 15: by Jenne (last edited Dec 05, 2012 07:25AM) (new)

Jenne  (JennetheInstigator) Points Total: 15

Letter C:
1.Book Title:

2.Author:
3.Main Character: Charley Davidson, Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet (1 point)
4.Secondary Character:Cookie, Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet (1 point)
5.Place: I had to ease the thick curtains aside to see onto Central as rush hour traffic came Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet KL# 2828 (2 points)
6.Cover: Chest Darkness Dawns (1 point)
7.Gift: largest gift basket she had ever seen sat in the middle of the floor. Decked with ribbons and bows it was so large that if the contents were removed, she could curl up in it like a cat. Darkness Dawns KL#4652 (3 points)
8.Hot: Pouring himself a cup of coffee Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet KL# 1721 (2 points)
9.Dark: His eyes black caverns Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet KL#2698 (1 point)
10.Drink: Cookie got up and made us both a cup of coffee Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet (2 points) KL#173
11.Blue: The ends tucked into her dark blue coat Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet (1 point) KL#417
12.Wedding: the two of them had been married earlier that evening in david's backyard in a private ceremony Darkness Dawns KL#4758 (1 point)

Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet 12/5/12 4 ★'s
Darkness Dawns 12/3/12 4 ★'s

message 16: by Jennifer H (new)

Jennifer H | 3938 comments Lindy wrote: "I finished November was unable to come up with the number count and I have no page numbers since being blind i do all audio, if you let me int his monrht I could give you the number of CD's are ca..."

Lindy, I use audiobooks also. I check for items using Amazon's or Google Book's search inside feature. If you have any questions you can pm me or ask in here. I'm sure others can tell you more about it too.

message 17: by Jennifer H (last edited Dec 01, 2012 01:04AM) (new)

Jennifer H | 3938 comments I started a book yesterday am I able to search for items in it or do I need start from the beginning of a book? I would start from the point that I am into the book, which is Disc 4 , Track 14.

message 18: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (KatNHat) Jennifer wrote: "I started a book yesterday am I able to search for items in it or do I need start from the beginning of a book? I would start from the point that I am into the book, which is Disc 4 , Track 14."

As long as it is something you read in December it is fine.

message 19: by Laura (last edited Dec 31, 2012 08:27AM) (new)

Laura | 335 comments Letter: C

1.Book Title
2.Author
3.Main Character - Claire - Watermelon ***** 25.12 - 1 point
4.Secondary Character
5.Place
6.Cover - Circle -Shadow of Night 21.12.12 ***** - 1 point
7.Gift: The Iron Witch - page 63 - ...it could be on unexpected gift. - 1 point ** 06.12
8.Hot - Dark Lover - ...and nearly melted the cheap wallpaper off the bathroom walls because she kept the water so hot. - ***** 06.12 - 1 point
9.Dark - Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History - page 34 - ...dark skinned, and barrel chested. - 16.12 **** -
10.Drink
11.Blue
12.Wedding

Watermelon (Walsh Family, #1) by Marian KeyesShadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy, #2) by Deborah HarknessThe Iron Witch (The Iron Witch, #1) by Karen MahoneyDark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. WardEmpire of the Summer Moon Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History by S.C. Gwynne

message 20: by Jennifer H (new)

Jennifer H | 3938 comments Thanks Dawn! I have 1 more question: How in the world do you keep track of all these challenges? I have to say I'm pretty impressed! :)

message 21: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) Jennifer, I know alot of us challenge junkies set up our own thread in one of the groups we belong to and keep track of them on that thread - then copy and post to the challenge thread as we update. Does that make sense? This group has an area for members to keep track of their challenges - it makes things so much easier!

message 22: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (LindyLee) I have a file called December Challnges and i list htem in alpha order and put all the challenge info and add my books as I read them usually below the title next the url, then any rules that are important and then my books.

message 23: by Jennifer H (new)

Jennifer H | 3938 comments Leslie wrote: "Jennifer, I know alot of us challenge junkies set up our own thread in one of the groups we belong to and keep track of them on that thread - then copy and post to the challenge thread as we update..."

I understand what you are saying but I'm not sure I know how to start my on thread. I have however been able to bookmark my post 11 by right clicking on the time stamp and click on copy link addy then paste it into my bookmarks.

message 24: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) Since this is my first scatergories, can someone please tell me if I got this right. (post 12)

And few questions...
- I'm reading ebooks and page count is never the same on GR and on my reader. Should I put quote page no. and book page no. (126/277) from reader or just page no. (126)? Or something else?
- about special items - Do we need to find exact words in text (Let's go for a drink.) or meaning is enough (Let's get a cup of coffee.)?

message 25: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (KatNHat) Tea☺ wrote: "Since this is my first scatergories, can someone please tell me if I got this right. (post 12)

And few questions...
- I'm reading ebooks and page count is never the same on GR and on my reader. S..."

Your close Tea.
No you don't need to find the word. The words I gave are catergories, you need to find a C-word that ffits in the catergory. So "Drink" won't work because it starts with a D, Cup of Coffee is perfect.

As for your post 12
Dallas Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts won't work because it doesn't start with C. the secondary words start with C but the name of the placedoesn't start with C.

charm of white lace edging the collar and the hem is a little iffy to me. Charm and collar do start with C but they are the white on the blue shirt, they are not blue themselves.

message 26: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (last edited Dec 01, 2012 06:48PM) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (KatNHat) Jennifer wrote: "I understand what you are saying but I'm not sure I know how to start my on thread. I have however been able to bookmark my post 11 by right clicking on the time stamp and click on copy link addy then paste it into my bookmarks. ..."

I will add a thread in the how do I do that section to explain it.

ETA: done check it out here .

message 27: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (KatNHat) Jennifer wrote: "Thanks Dawn! I have 1 more question: How in the world do you keep track of all these challenges? I have to say I'm pretty impressed! :)"

You can check out my thread in the member challenge section.

I have a post for each challenge I am currently doing. There arn't many right now. It was up to 80 at one point over the summer. I make a link to the challenge and the info I need. When I finish a book I copy and past the info into each post it applies to. Depending on the length of the challenge I will then copy from my list to the actual challenge every few books.

message 28: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) That's how I do it as well.

message 29: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (LindyLee) Does it have to be exactly Hot and cant' be warm?

message 30: by ❀Tea❀ (last edited Dec 02, 2012 01:48AM) (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) Thanks Dawn!
I'll hunt down new things :)

Another one:
If cover has couple things starting with C, do I count all of them or just one? This book has been on my TBR for some time. :)

message 31: by Jennifer H (new)

Jennifer H | 3938 comments Thank you so much I'm going to start one of my own as soon as I can get my son of the computer...he currently giving me the evil eye because I'm still typing and not shutting down...it's tough when you think you are the center of the cosmos...lol

Question: Would charred work for dark? Cuz things that are charred are usually black...just checking if not s'ok

message 32: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (KatNHat) Tea☺ wrote: "Thanks Dawn!
I'll hunt down new things :)

Another one:
If cover has couple things starting with C, do I count all of them or just one? This book has been on my TBR for some time. :)"

If the items are related, which is kind of hard to describe. You can't just list cannon, cue, candle and count it for 3 points. However Cat in a Chair I would take as 2 pints because they are together. Make sense?

message 33: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (KatNHat) Lindy wrote: "Does it have to be exactly Hot and cant' be warm?"

It should be hot and not warm, but there is no definition of hot and warm so use your own judgement.

message 34: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (KatNHat) Jennifer wrote: "Question: Would charred work for dark? Cuz things that are charred are usually black...just checking if not s'ok ..."

It is a bit of a leap, but I see the connection, sure you can use it.

message 35: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) So the very first book I read in December has Winter skiing in the first chapter. Just my luck!

message 36: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) Dawn (Kat N Hat) wrote: "... Make sense? "

Yes, thank you.

No more questions. For now. :)

message 37: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (KatNHat) Leslie wrote: "So the very first book I read in December has Winter skiing in the first chapter. Just my luck!"

LOL.

message 38: by Chaitra (last edited Dec 29, 2012 06:45PM) (new)

Chaitra (Chaitra_Ganesh) I'm in!

DECEMBER SCATTERGORIES

Duration: Dec 01, 2012 - Dec 31, 2012

General

1. Book Title: A Cold and Lonely Place: A Novel | Sara J. Henry ★★★★ (12/11): 1 point.
2. Author: Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay | Suzanne Collins ★★ (12/07): 1 point.
3. Main Character: Troy Chance, A Cold and Lonely Place: A Novel | Sara J. Henry ★★★★ (12/11): 1 point.
4. Secondary Character: Cass Cleave, Ancient Light | John Banville ★★★ (12/16): 2 points.
5. Place: Charing Cross, The Gourmet Detective | Peter King ★ (12/05): 2 points.
6. Cover: Chinese Art, The Joy Luck Club | Amy Tan ★★★ (12/10): 1 point.

A Cold and Lonely Place A Novel by Sara J. Henry Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins Ancient Light by John Banville The Gourmet Detective (Gourmet Detective Mystery, Book 1) by Peter King The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

December Specials

1. Gift: "After our expeditions, he would give me gifts - a powder compact lidded in mother of pearl, a lipstick in a chased gilt swivel case…" - p38, Ignorance: A Novel | Michèle Roberts ★★★ (12/06): 3 points.
2. Hot: "Hot coffee in her favorite green and gold cup, clean stockings dangling ready over the back of a chair." - p116, Ignorance: A Novel | Michèle Roberts ★★★ (12/06): 4 points.
3. Dark: "In a dark blue crêpe de chine frock with a tiny lawn collar, and high heels with cork wedges…" - p36, 4 points.
4. Drink: "After a cup of coffee and complimentary cognac which I couldn't turn down…" - 5% KL, The Gourmet Detective | Peter King ★ (12/05): 5 points.
5. Blue: "A blue clad workman came out of the café, clumped across…" - p113, Ignorance: A Novel | Michèle Roberts ★★★ (12/06): 4 points.
6. Wedding "…escorted me off the boat as though we were a married couple coming home from holiday…" - p167, Ignorance: A Novel | Michèle Roberts ★★★ (12/06): 2 points.

Ignorance A Novel by Michèle Roberts The Gourmet Detective (Gourmet Detective Mystery, Book 1) by Peter King

message 39: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (Chaitra_Ganesh) Happy anniversary (in advance) Dawn! :)

message 40: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (KatNHat) Chaitra wrote: "Happy anniversary (in advance) Dawn! :)"

Thanks. The traditional 1st anniversary gift is supposed to be paper... I'm holding out for new books, that's paper right? Wonder if it counts if they are e-books?

message 41: by JenniferJ (new)

JenniferJ | 0 comments December--Letter C

General
1.Book Title
2.Author
3.Main Character - (Cassie McPherson) Hunk for the Holidays
4.Secondary Character
5.Place
6.Cover

December Specials
7.Gift
8.Hot
9.Dark
10.Drink---he took a deep drink of the beer that he'd planned on giving Cassandra (Page 37) Hunk for the Holidays
11.Blue
12.Wedding

message 42: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (Chaitra_Ganesh) Dawn (Kat N Hat) wrote: "Chaitra wrote: "Happy anniversary (in advance) Dawn! :)"

Thanks. The traditional 1st anniversary gift is supposed to be paper... I'm holding out for new books, that's paper right? Wonder if it cou..."

Oh yes! Books count as paper!! And e-books are e-paper. :D

message 43: by CaroB (last edited Dec 10, 2012 09:57PM) (new)

CaroB (CarobSimms) December Scattegories
1-12-12 to 31-12-12

1.Book Title: Captive in the Dark
2.Author: Colleen Hoover
3.Main Character: Caleb from Captive in the Dark
4.Secondary Character: Caulder. Main character's little brother, Slammed
5.Place: California. (pg 99, Captive in the Dark)" That gnawed at me, Mex­ico was way too close to Cal­i­for­nia and yet too far away from any ex­pec­ta­tion of res­cue."
6.Cover: Curtain. Slammed
7.Gift: Christmas. (pg 22, Point of Retreat) "It was intended to be a Christmas gift for us to open together, but this is the first chance we've had to be alone."
8.Hot: Car. (pg 26, A Virgin River Christmas) "What would you charge me if I lived in a big house and drove a hot car?" he asked.
9.Dark: Circles. (Chapter 26, Seduced in the Dark) "She had dark circles under her eyes and she hadn't been eating much."
10.Drink: Coffee. (pg 41, Point of Retreat) "She sets the coffee down in front of me."
11.Blue: Cover. (cover, Scared of Spiders)
12.Wedding: Courthouse Wedding. (pg 170, Point of Retreat) "We aren't doing the traditional aisle walk, either. I'm pretty sure she and Eddy are down the hall in the courthouse public restroom doing her make up right now."

BOOKS:
Captive in the Dark (The Dark Duet, #1) by C.J. Roberts by C.J. Roberts, ★★★★★ 01-Dec-12
Slammed (Slammed, #1) by Colleen Hoover by Colleen Hoover, ★★★★ 03-Dec-12
Point of Retreat (Slammed, #2) by Colleen Hoover by Colleen Hoover, ★★★ 04-Dec-12
Seduced in the Dark (The Dark Duet, #2) by C.J. Roberts by C.J. Roberts, ★★★★ 02-Dec-12
A Virgin River Christmas (Virgin River, #4) by Robyn Carr by Robyn Carr, ★★★ 06-Dec-12
Scared of Spiders by Eve Langlais by Eve Langlais, ★★ 09-Dec-12

message 44: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (KatNHat) Wow, Carob is making up for lost time! great job.

message 45: by Jennifer H (new)

Jennifer H | 3938 comments Dawn (Kat N Hat) wrote: "Wow, Carob is making up for lost time! great job."

A book a day...Very nicely done Carob!

message 46: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) Can "...the December sky remained free of clouds, its cobalt hue as clear as my favorite cop’s steady gaze." be used for blue? If yes, how many c's count?

message 47: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (KatNHat) Yes cobalt works for blue. Looks like 4 to me.

message 48: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) Thanks. Wasn't sure about cop's c :)

message 49: by CaroB (new)

CaroB (CarobSimms) Dawn, just a question: can the blue be the Cover of the book?

message 50: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) Updated Post #5

6 POINTS

« previous 1