Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Bibliographies/Shopping Lists > 10 books you want for christmas

Comments (showing 1-23 of 23) (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Louise (new)

Louise | 280 comments We ALWAYS need new titles for our wishlists don't we?
So I thought it'd be great inspiration to see which 10 books everyone would love the most to get for christmas :-)
Mine are:
The Mongoliad by Neal Stephenson Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang Goat In The Snow by Emily Pettit A Companion to the History of the Book by Simon Eliot It's a Don's Life by Mary Beard Ragnarok by A.S. Byatt Little, Big by John Crowley The Woman Who Died a Lot (Thursday Next, #7) by Jasper Fforde The Last Tycoon (Penguin Hardback Classics) by F. Scott Fitzgerald The Wrinkle in Time Quintet - Digest Size Boxed Set by Madeleine L'Engle

message 2: by Shannon (new)

Shannon  (bookjunkie57) | 349 comments Shadow's Claim (The Dacians Realm of Blood and Mist, #1) by Kresley Cole Poison Princess (The Arcana Chronicles, #1) by Kresley Cole(I've already read it but it's fantastic) Wolfishly Yours (Westfield Wolves, #6) by Lydia Dare Werewolf in Denver (Wild About You #4) by Vicki Lewis Thompson(in fact I'll take the last 3 in this series) Cloak & Silence (The League, #6) by Sherrilyn Kenyon From Ashes by Molly McAdams and a gift card for Leopard's Prey (Leopard People, #6) by Christine Feehan

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

only ten?

message 4: by Louise (new)

Louise | 280 comments :-)

message 5: by Veronika (last edited Dec 04, 2012 10:50PM) (new)

Veronika I want:
The first three books in The Monstrumologist series by Rick Yancey The Monstrumologist (The Monstrumologist, #1) by Rick Yancey The Curse of the Wendigo (The Monstrumologist, #2) by Rick Yancey The Isle of Blood (The Monstrumologist, #3) by Rick Yancey, The Australian/ New Zealand luxury editions of all three books in The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins, The Great Gatsy The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Edition of The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe The Complete Tales and Poems by Edgar Allan Poe, I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga I Hunt Killers (Jasper Dent, #1) by Barry Lyga, and a copy of Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

A book away from an episode of hoarders (fidgit77) | 45 comments I agree with Tammy, only ten?

At the top of my book christmas wishlist is:

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1) by Sarah Rees Brennan The Iron Wyrm Affair (Bannon & Clare, #1) by Lilith Saintcrow Veganomicon The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook by Isa Chandra Moskowitz Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1) by Moira Young Downbelow Station (Company Wars, #1) by C.J. Cherryh Starship Mutiny (Starship, #1) by Mike Resnick Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers by Harry Harrison Spellbound (Grimnoir Chronicles, #2) by Larry Correia Old Man's War (Old Man's War, #1) by John Scalzi

message 7: by Sonya (new)

Sonya madden | 406 comments solitary witch's bible
the wolf gift
the bone bed
a subscription to flex magazine
book of wiccan healing
a book on meditation or a book on talking to the spirit world

message 8: by Sonya (new)

Sonya madden | 406 comments a gift card to amazon.com will do just fine!

message 9: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Kennett | 27 comments I'm with Tammy. Only 10? I have over 100 books on my to read list and although they may not be good enough to own a copy of them, I wouldn't mind getting any of them as a gift.

message 10: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami; The Howling by Gary Brandner; Dead Man's Song (Pine Deep, #2) by Jonathan Maberry; The Rook by Daniel O'Malley; Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier; Little Star by John Ajvide Lindqvist; Leviathan (Leviathan, #1) by Scott Westerfeld; An American Spy by Olen Steinhauer; I, Robot by Isaac Asimov; and Black and Orange by Benjamin Kane Ethridge

message 11: by Sonya (new)

Sonya madden | 406 comments I got my subscription to FLEX mag for my birthday in a week.

message 12: by Melanie (last edited Dec 17, 2012 06:35PM) (new)

Melanie (thefancyoctopus) o yes please!

Eldritch Tales A Miscellany of the Macabre by H.P. Lovecraft Necronomicon The Best Weird Tales by H.P. Lovecraft For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund Those Who Went Remain There Still by Cherie Priest Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire, #1) by Mark Lawrence Journals by Kurt Cobain The Hallowed Ones (The Hallowed Ones, #1) by Laura Bickle Black Spring  by Alison Croggon God Shaped Hole by Tiffanie DeBartolo House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

so if anyone wants to gift me any of these just pm me and Ill tell you where to send them :)[

message 13: by Melanie (last edited Dec 17, 2012 07:30PM) (new)

Melanie (melanie_yamidnightreads) Hmm...this is tough:
The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken Unearthly (Unearthly, #1) by Cynthia Hand The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Just Listen by Sarah Dessen Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver Tiger's Curse (The Tiger Saga, #1) by Colleen Houck The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern and Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth
I have read Divergent, The Knife of Never Letting Go and Unearthly but they were just too awesome too not have on my shelf XD

message 15: by Melissa (last edited Jul 02, 2013 04:19PM) (new)

message 16: by Jocelin (new)

Jocelin | 151 comments I can't even begin to list 10 books. I'll have to wait until December. That way I will be able to condense the list.

message 17: by Joi (new)

Joi | 19 comments Delirium
Pandemonium
Requiem
Alice on Board
It's Not Like I Planned It This Way: Including Alice; Alice on Her Way; Alice in the Know
Reconstructing Amelia

There are probably many more but I can't seem to think of them right now. Also, the books on this list I'll probably own before Christmas rolls around anyway.

message 18: by Paulfozz (new)

Paulfozz My wish list at the moment is a little eclectic, not really much fiction I can think of and other than one that I 'may' be getting, I know I certainly won't be receiving any of these at Christmas:

Bird Populations (Collins New Naturalist Library, Book 124) by Ian Newton
Bird Populations by Ian Newton

The Malay Archipelago The Land of the Orang-Utan and the Bird of Paradise by Alfred Russel Wallace
The Malay Archipelago: The Land of the Orang-Utan and the Bird of Paradise by Alfred Russel Wallace

Structures Or Why Things Don't Fall Down by J.E. Gordon
Structures: Or Why Things Don't Fall Down by J.E. Gordon (there's a really nice folio society edition, though not listed on goodreads that I can find)

The Phoenicians by Glenn E. Markoe
The Phoenicians by Glenn E. Markoe

The House Sparrow (A New naturalist monograph, #19) by J. Denis Summers-Smith
The House Sparrow by J. Denis Summers-Smith

The Wind In The Willows by Kenneth Grahame
The Wind in the Willows (Folio Society edition) by Kenneth Grahame

The Rise of Rome - Folio Society Edition by Polybius
The Rise of Rome - Folio Society Edition by Polybius, which looks fantastic, though I do have doubts whether I'd actually read it!

Discoveries Among the Ruins of Nineveh and Babylon With Travels in Armenia, Kurdistan and the Desert by Austen Henry Layard
Discoveries Among the Ruins of Nineveh and Babylon: With Travels in Armenia, Kurdistan and the Desert by Austen Henry Layard

The Tomb of Tutankhamun - Folio Society Edition by Howard Carter
The Tomb of Tutankhamun - Folio Society Edition by Howard Carter. Though I have a standard edition to look through I'd love the gorgeous Folio edition of this, which looks absolutely stunning.

British Larks, Pipits And Wagtails (New Naturalist, #78) by Eric Simms
British Larks, Pipits And Wagtails by Eric Simms

They're all books I'd like 'some day', rather than books I know I'll own.

message 19: by Kiera (new)

Kiera | 286 comments @Paulfozz Ooh, I have Wind in the Willows, I love it! But it's just a standard edition I got from Target here in Australia for $7. It's such an adorable collection of stories. I read it back in May when I was bed bound after my surgery. :)

message 20: by Paulfozz (new)

Paulfozz The Wind In The Willows certainly is a great book Kiera, I have a little 1970s hardback but the Folio one I listed looks lovely.

message 21: by Zouagie (new)

Zouagie | 41 comments The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2) by Leigh Bardugo
The Girl Who Soared Over Fairyland and Cut the Moon in Two (Fairyland, #3) by Catherynne M. Valente
Mechanique A Tale of the Circus Tresaulti by Genevieve Valentine
This House is Haunted by John Boyne
The Third Eye Initiative (The Sydarin Chronicles #1) by J.J. Newman
The Republic of Thieves (Gentleman Bastard, #3) by Scott Lynch
Thief's Covenant (Widdershins Adventures, #1) by Ari Marmell
False Covenant (Widdershins Adventures, #2) by Ari Marmell
The World of Peter Rabbit (Original Peter Rabbit, Books 1-23) by Beatrix Potter can't blame me, I adore these! I just want this collection!

message 22: by Kiera (new)

Kiera | 286 comments I have already bought some books for Christmas. But the next ones on my list are The Secret Circle series, the first 5 of Vampire Academy (I got the 6th one at a Rotary book sale a coule of months ago), The Selection series, Hex Hall series, the next installments of Buffy season 9 and Angel & Faith, City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments, #6) by Cassandra Clarethe next 4 Doctor Who comics... ahem, well... I think it's safe o say, WAY more than 10 books. Lol

message 23: by Kiera (new)

Kiera | 286 comments Jeeze, what's up with my typing?? Hahaha.