Horror Aficionados discussion

Murderabilia??

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4854 comments I have never heard of this, but apparently ppl sell stuff from killers and other ppl collect it. Recently someone tried to sell a mask who looks like the guy who killed ppl at the batman movie. Outrageous! What r ur thoughts?

message 2: by Terri (new)

Terri (TerriLovesCrows) | 143 comments It's a big business. Sick and in bad taste but it sells. I wouldnt spend my money that way but others have that right I guess.

message 3: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23558 comments I think it's a disgusting side of human nature and wouldn't want to own anything that revels in the murders of fellow human beings.

message 4: by Terri (new)

Terri (TerriLovesCrows) | 143 comments No argument there Kyle!

message 5: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4854 comments Totally agree with everyone here. I was just shocked! I never would have thought that this existed.

message 6: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (kristabela) | 186 comments There is a market for all things. I don't find it disgusting that people want to own John Wayne Gacy's paintings. I think there are deep issues that go with such a collection but I am not repulsed by it. Mind you, I would not feel the same about folks collecting the creative bits and pieces found in Ed Gein's home...

message 7: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23558 comments Yes, there is even a market for baby sex, but that doesn't make it right.

I wouldn't feel the same way if someone bought a serial killer's painting of a field of flowers, but paintings depicting his/her victims and what he/she did to them? I think that's perverse and the people who get off on purchasing this kind of stuff would perhaps feel differently if their own loved one was the victim in their homicidal crimes.

message 8: by glenda (new)

glenda (ayngelwing) | 1239 comments Man, this is just beyond all. It seems there is nowhere today that people are willing to draw the line and say NO, this is just wrong. Ugh.

message 9: by Holly (new)

Holly (Goldikova) That reminds me, has anyone else checked out "Deals from the Darkside" on ScyFy? It is a sort of morbid version of "Toy Hunter" I watched part of an episode and have also seen some previews for others.....hangman's hoods, manacles and chains from a witches prison, a deck chair from the Titanic were some of the objects the guy was buying. I found myself wondering who would want this nasty, creepy old stuff.

message 10: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23558 comments I wouldn't want it in my house; could bring some bad karma to us.

message 11: by Ron (new)

Ron | 439 comments I went to the 'Museum of Torture' in Rothenburg, Germany. It was pretty morbid, but the flute that locked around the neck and gripped the fingers to punish bad musicians was pretty darn funny. The headpiece for gossips was worth a giggle or two, also.

message 12: by Ian (new)

Ian McClellan | 546 comments Headpiece for gossips. I like that idea.
I have a friend whose mother married Mark David Chapman's father. After he died she found a bunch of letters he'd written from prison and was going to throw them out. I told her she'd be surprised how much money screwy people out there would pay for stuff like that. She was, and she threw me a few hundred bucks for the info.

message 13: by Greg (new)

Greg | 2262 comments There has always been fascination for such things as people acquired 'memorabilia' relating to criminals who were executed down through the centuries. This might include body parts of somebody considered to have been martyred and therefore preserved as a saint's relic, but it also included things like pieces of a criminal's tattooed skin! To see what I mean, Jagiellonian University in Krakow, Poland, has a collection of 60 such tattoos but these all date to the 20th century. Maybe Macieck's seen them!

As pieces of human skin cut from the body, they are a little gruesome but not much different from archaeologically excavated examples of preserved (usually mummified) tissue.

And then there's items associated with 1920s-1940s mobsters or material relating to earlier outlaws like Jesse James of which only a few autographed items are apparently known.

I don't collect such items myself but I do see the value of preserving artefacts and documents of criminals for the historical record. However, I do think it's obscene for people to part with large amounts of money in acquiring such mementos, especially if it's directly associated with somebody's murder or torture. Then again, I'm just as disgusted by people who pay obscene, multi-million-dollar, sums for paintings and other art when so many people live in poverty.

message 14: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (kristabela) | 186 comments I guess my apathy knows no bounds.

Personally, I don't care what people collect so long as the collecting of what interests them isn't hurting anyone. I know that the focus of a person's interest may be a serial killer who has hurt people but collecting pieces of the killer's life after the fact does no harm. Even if people stop collecting, killers will still kill.

I can't find it in myself to be disgusted by a driving interest in anything as long as that interest doesn't boil over into a desire to follow along.

I think a fascination with murderers and why they do what they do is the reason many people collect such alarming trinkets. People want to understand what is foreign to them. It's a natural response to stare at that horrific accident and to wonder what those people are suffering. It is natural to look at that human anomoly and wonder what makes it (yes, I mean IT) tick.

message 15: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4854 comments Well, I see where u are coming from. Im just not one of those people.

message 16: by Ken (new)

Ken | 6007 comments The Boston Strangler's amulet, John Wayne Gacy's red handprint and 'Monster' Aileen Wuornos' court documents: The bizarre and chilling world of 'Murderabilia'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/artic...

message 17: by Justin (new)

Justin (JustinBienvenue) | 2488 comments I could maybe understand a person wanting to buy some kind of item a killer used because of historic value but collecting a ton for a collection? Ehh...no thanks..thats creepy and makes you wonder why the person wishes to collect such violent stuff.