Papillon Papillon question

Adventure, Courage, Determination, Nothing is Impossible!!
Arum Nallaiah Arum Nov 28, 2012 05:19AM
Books can change one's life.. as "tools" for the tradesmen, motivate the mind to achieve the impossible, mould one's Character, personality. I was inspired by the reading of Henries Charriere's Papillon, when I was a Teenager. The inspiration lead me to take an overland expedition from Colombo (Sri Lanka) to Frankfurt (Germany), sharpened my knowledge of Countries and Nations. Unforgettable experience !! Thanks to Henries Charriere's Papillon.

Arum wrote: "The inspiration lead me to take an overland expedition from Colombo (Sri Lanka) to Frankfurt (Germany), sharpened my knowledge of Countries and Nations. Unforgettable experience !! Thanks to Henries Charriere's Papillon. ..."

Congratulations are in order of course, but Sri Lanka doesn't have an overland connection to anything; its an island. You 'rode' at least part of your journey!

It was this book that got me hooked on reading. My mother gave me the book as she saw it on the best sellers list. She had hoped that I would take an interest in reading like the neighbours daugther. I was in high school at the time and I remember being so absorbed into the book, reading it in the cafeteria, and even behind the class book in class.
It was thanks to this book that I got hooked on reading.
The movie didn't even come close to the book.

This is one of my all-time favorites. Still I fear I have to play the bad guy here, as so:
1) I myself am Francophone (as second language). Still I must acknowledge, France today is the perfect model of how not to run a democracy. Even so, I remain an admirer of the French legal system. The Inquisitorial system is a fantastic alternative to our own (US) dysfunctional Adversarial system. Trials last hours, not years; acquitals are few; justice is swift. Roman Law has it over English Common Law across the boards. Where "justice" is a matter of dispute between individuals, irrelevancies hold sway, and one gets all the justice one can pay for. Where Justice itself is plaintiff, justice generally prevails.
2) Charierre's credibility has slowly but consistently eroded. One constantly hears of contemporaries coming out, saying "Yeah I knew the guy: he was the biggest bullshit artist going."
I regard the book- which I still dearly love- as an inspired and inspiring work of fiction.

I recently re-read this book after almost 40 years. It was as good the second time around as it was the first time. I couldn’t put it down.