The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Looking for love in Aldaraan places?

Comments (showing 1-33 of 33) (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matt (new)

Matt (Mattcr9) | 3 comments Here's a discussion topic raised among my friends after one's bad experiment with "District 9:" What is the best sci-fi date movie, and why?

message 2: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (Gorro) | 1582 comments What? Your girlfriend didn't like prawns? Dets illegal.

message 3: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments I don't know, but it certainly wasn't Blade II.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 28, 2012 06:54AM) (new)

I don't know but going to see hostel on your first valentines date because you think its a tarentino film isn't one of them.

message 5: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Lucy wrote: "I don't know but going to see hostel on your first valentines date because you think its a tarentino film isn't one of them."

ouch. ouch. ouch.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I know lol but were still together so no harm came of it.

message 7: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Lucy wrote: "I know lol but were still together so no harm came of it."

well that's good to hear. I once rented Scarface on a first high school movie date with my then girlfriend. I loved it but sadly she was not impressed with the senseless violence and blatant sexual innuendo scattered throughout that movie. We did not stay together long...

message 8: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 5140 comments Mod
Micah wrote: "Lucy wrote: "I know lol but were still together so no harm came of it."

well that's good to hear. I once rented Scarface on a first high school movie date with my then girlfriend. I loved it but s..."

Sounds like a good choice to me then. Weed out the undesirables quickly.

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan (susieblu) | 34 comments Does Wall-E count as a Sci fi movie? Because I would think that would be interesting date movie. Shows you have a fun side, the movie has a love story along with some adventure. Yeah, I think that would be a good movie.

message 10: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 5140 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "Does Wall-E count as a Sci fi movie? Because I would think that would be interesting date movie. Shows you have a fun side, the movie has a love story along with some adventure. Yeah, I think that ..."

I enjoyed Wall-E, but I found it kind of depressing..

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Micah wrote: "Lucy wrote: "I know lol but were still together so no harm came of it."

well that's good to hear. I once rented Scarface on a first high school movie date with my then girlfriend. I loved it but s..."

Shame but she obviously wasn't a right match for you, I think Robs got the right idea you might as well use it as a testing ground for compatibility.

message 12: by Daniel (new)

Daniel McMillan (Nerdtek) | 19 comments Any of the Star Wars films, because like someone else said you have to weed out the incompatibles quickly! lol! My wife is a bigger Trekker than me but she loves Star Wars too!!!

message 13: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Lucy wrote: "Shame but she obviously wasn't a right match for you, I think Robs got the right idea you might as well use it as a testing ground for compatibility. "

LoL. I don't think Scarface is quite right for any high school relationship. LoL. But 16 year old me loved it. LoL.

message 14: by Brandt (new)

Brandt | 44 comments Isnt it self-sabotage to choose a sci-fi movie as a date movie?
haha, but sure if you look at it as a wheating-out process a sci-fi movie would definitely do the job.. Not a bad idea, if you dont wanna risk watching movies like The Notebook over and over again..

If it had to be a sci-fi movie, i'd go with something like Avatar, where the lovestory is an essential part of the plot (Avatar is perhaps just too long to be perfect for the job).. Or The Matrix or Equilibrium, because its movies that means something for me personally..
Choosing a Starwars, or startrek, movie will probably earn you all sorts of scorn when she tells her girlfriends about it :P But of course, if she claims to like it, she must be really in to you (or just perfect) :D
A comedy like The Watch probably wouldnt be a bad choice either..

message 15: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 372 comments Rob wrote: "Micah wrote: "Lucy wrote: "I know lol but were still together so no harm came of it."

well that's good to hear. I once rented Scarface on a first high school movie date with my then girlfriend. I ..."

If we are considering the movie a test, we might choose a horrible *cough* D&D *cough* movie (ut's not sci-fy but you know what I ment) and see how the date reacts to it. She might not like sci-fi/fantasy/horrors at all ( and that's a danger flag like the deja-vu cats in matrix) or she might just think THAT particular movie was horrible *cough* transformers 2*cough* (and this might become a topic for a discussion).
After all it's not about the movie, but how the date goes on.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Micah wrote: "Lucy wrote: "Shame but she obviously wasn't a right match for you, I think Robs got the right idea you might as well use it as a testing ground for compatibility. "

LoL. I don't think Scarface is ..."

Oh really lol that bad, well maybe it was your fault lol. I have never seen it so I cant comment really.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I want to watch Scarface now to see what its like but I will probably like it, Pulp Fiction was my fav film at that age lol.

message 18: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2142 comments I don't know if there is a good sci-fi date movie. What's important is even if he/she isn't into sci-fi//fantasy that they're open to watching it with you and open to getting into it and enjoying it. That weeds the bad ones out faster for me.

message 19: by Paul (new)

Paul Harmon (TheSaint08D) | 639 comments How about something Sci-fi but lighthearted/comedy it kind of takes the edge off and you can ease into seeing if shes geek or not. Like maybe Galaxy Quest or Spaceballs, or I always suggest Serenity because well its Whedon. Maybe even go about it more round about and try Fanboys, how she reacts to that will tell how tolerant she can be and its a great movie even though its not sci-fi its about loving sci-fi snd its funny :) and a little heartwarming, and you get to see Kristen Bell in a slave Leia costume (bonus). :)

message 20: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Lucy wrote: "I want to watch Scarface now to see what its like but I will probably like it, Pulp Fiction was my fav film at that age lol."

Oh it's a great movie. I like all those mafia type movies though. Just wasnt the best "date movie" i guess. Lol. It is very very 80's though so be prepared for that when you watch it. One of the classics.

message 21: by Celine (new)

Celine | 36 comments Iron Man 2 was the only movie I've watched on a date. The date didn't go well, but that was more due to incompatibility than the movie, I think. The movie was pretty awesome.

message 22: by Sanasai (new)

Sanasai | 74 comments The 2009 Star Trek! If he laughs with you at the right places, he's a keeper. If not, you know to talk about the action scenes with him after instead of geeking out about things like Continuity Issues in Alternate Timelines. :D

message 23: by Daran (new)

Daran | 599 comments It took a girl to see Serenity back when it was in theaters. We dated a few more time then decided we weren't romantic material. Though she is still madly in love with another man she met that night--Nathan Fillion.

message 24: by Josh (new)

Josh Lovvorn (Estlinska) | 9 comments The night I proposed to my wife, she demanded that we go home and watch Star Wars. Confirmation that I made the right choice.

message 25: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 372 comments Josh wrote: "The night I proposed to my wife, she demanded that we go home and watch Star Wars. Confirmation that I made the right choice."

I assume she didn't reply like Luke did when he met his father

message 26: by S.G. (last edited Dec 04, 2012 06:46PM) (new)

S.G. (s-girl) | 4 comments If she doesn't like Empire Strikes Back, back away.

I echo the 2009 Star Trek movie. It was sci-fi ,funny, and cool. I have never seen so many new fangirls that were hot for Spock until that movie aired.

message 27: by Ruth (tilltab) (new)

Ruth (tilltab) (till-tab) | 1383 comments Hmmmm, probably the worse film ever to watch on a date would be Teeth! lol

For a good date film...well, scares are always good, so how about Aliens? Lots of scenes to make you jump (or cuddle up), great characters you can feel for, and you even have a rather sweetly done romantic sub-plot. Love that film.

Or for fantasy, how about Stardust? It's just the sweetest little film, and who doesn't love a bit of Gaiman? :)

message 28: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (Darrenhf) | 96 comments Oh I vote for Stardust and also throw in The Princess Bride. Make 'em laugh and lightly introduce the concept of romance. Nice thinking.

message 29: by Mark (new)

Mark Sehestedt | 17 comments Le Pacte des Loups could have been a perfect date movie ... if they'd re-written the last 15 minutes of the movie.

message 30: by Fresno Bob (new)

Fresno Bob | 468 comments Alien is a better "date movie" than "Aliens", I'd argue...if your date has taste and class, I'd recommend "Gattaca". Hey, is "The Prestige" SF?

message 31: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (MatthewDL) | 305 comments Fresno Bob wrote: "...Hey, is "The Prestige" SF?"

Totally. It gets forgotten all the time because its set in the past instead of the near or far future but I'd say it's SF.

message 32: by Daran (new)

Daran | 599 comments I think the Prestige falls into steampunk. I'd say anything that even references Tesla has a few talent points into steampunk.

message 33: by Ruth (tilltab) (new)

Ruth (tilltab) (till-tab) | 1383 comments Fresno Bob wrote: "Alien is a better "date movie" than "Aliens", I'd argue...if your date has taste and class, I'd recommend "Gattaca". Hey, is "The Prestige" SF?"

Hmm, I might argue that Alien is a better film (though it's close - I love them both for different reasons) but I think the love interest in the second film puts it ahead in terms of a date movie. I mean, surely a suggestion of romance is a vital ingredient?

Excellent idea with Gattaca. I must track down a copy, since it's years since I saw it. The Prestige has escaped my notice until now, but I like the sound of it.

I think I must have myself a movie night. :)