The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Gilmore Girls Discussions > Food Food and More Food

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 23 comments I need some help. My friends and I want to have a Gilmore Girls Weekend and we want to have all the food Lorelai and Rory would have. All I can think of is Chinese,Lukes and Pop Tarts at the moment.

But then again I am so tired not a good time to think about this

The help would be great Thanks All!!

message 2: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego? (whichwaydidshego) | 1996 comments Mod
Well if you are going to do the movie night, they had every kind of junk food! But they did theme foods for different things. But mostly, pizza, freezer food, and lots and lots and lots of coffee! LOL Just NOTHING homemade... unless you have a Suki around!

Just don't forget the ice... unless you have a Luke around to go and get more. Hee!

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Pretty much any kind of candy, like red vines and mini marshmallows. Twinkies. Cheese doodles. and coffee. Tons of coffee.

message 4: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (new)

Shannon | 254 comments Mod
Can't forget some Mallomars. I've never had these before. Not big on the marshmallows.

message 5: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
"It is a running gag that Lorelai and Rory can eat copious amounts of junk food, but never seem to gain weight. When they are not eating or playing bagel hockey at Luke's Diner, or having formal Friday night dinners at Emily and Richard's, they often order pizza or take-out Chinese food. Consequently, their refrigerator is always filled with leftovers. They eat tons of food, including French fries and Tater Tots, various types of pies, and ice cream straight from the carton. Lorelai and Rory love to eat Mallomars, which Rory uses to spell out "Happy Birthday Lorelai" on their kitchen table in the third season, and Lorelai snacks on Red Vines red "licorice" during the many movies she watches. The two also like doughnuts and various other chocolate and baked goods. They also enjoy many international foods while on their European trip in the fourth season, and eat the Italian dessert, biscotti, on the night before Rory leaves for Yale (see Season 4: Episode 1 "Ballrooms and Biscotti"). In the DVD commentary, Lauren Graham admits that no one could realistically eat the way Rory and Lorelai do."

message 6: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 23 comments Thank you! Thank you! Thank You!

This has helped so much the Shopping list is almost perfect keep them coming

message 7: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

Nothing with avocado - Lorelai hates it.

I saw an episode where she actually has a salad. She grabbed a package of prepared lettuce, opened the bag, poured in half a bottle of low-cal ranch in, held the top closed, and shook. So great!

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Yep, but wasn't it only because she didn't have any other food in the house and couldn't go to Luke's?

message 9: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

No, the pizza guy was over an hour late. She eventually went to Luke's and he made her a "festive" burger - a Santa face with ketchup and cream cheese.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) OH, that was THAT episode. I love that episode. "Will you marry me?" "What?" "Just looking for something to shut you up."

message 11: by Dottie (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 698 comments Oh geez, Sarah, that quote is seriously one of my very favorites! It's even better in hind sight after Lorelai proposed to Luke and all the stir that created in the town folk.

message 12: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments LOL Michele and Sarah! I actually recently saw that one. I feel so much like one of the group now!

message 13: by Erin (new)

Erin | 47 comments Mallomars are key! They are also DELICIOUS!

message 14: by Sera (new)

Sera Definitely burgers, doughnuts and pancakes - yummy

message 15: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 23 comments Thank You again! This is helping so much

message 16: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

No Sarah, it wasn't that episode... but I love that one. It was the one when she was uninvited to her parent's Christmas party and then her dad ended up going into the hospital (in season 1). The one where Luke cleared the diner to take her. Melted my heart... again.

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) OK I'm gonna have to pull out my DVD because I could have sworn that was all the same episode. I knew when you said Santa burger that it was the Christmas one with the hospital.

message 18: by Megan (new)

Megan | 118 comments headless turkey chocolates; anything from Al's Pancake House- just as long as its not pancakes from there, leftover/used blueberry shortcake, and the peach sauce to bathe in.

message 19: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jentobox) | 16 comments indian food.. rory loves indian food but lorelai claims she wants to burn down the house whenever rory eats it. and of course coffee coffee coffee. lorelai also loved the brownies with triple the cocoa mix that luke made just for her.

message 20: by Megan (new)

Megan | 118 comments and don't forget about the desert sushi. I can't remember the best combination they came up with but be creative! I think one had ju ju bees (sp?)

message 21: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Rocky Road cookies...Rory hates them but took some that Suki made for Dean.

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Rory with the Dean with the cookies for the love and the cookies for the Rory for the love with the Dean...

message 23: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jentobox) | 16 comments haha I love Suki

message 24: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 23 comments I love Sookie she makes me laugh so hard

message 25: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

Sookie is one cool best friend!

Sarah, you are probably right. You always seem to be. But that was one of my favorite lines and I didn't see it. Maybe I had left the room - whether physically or mentally it doesn't matter.

message 26: by Sarah (last edited Jan 08, 2008 10:05AM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Actually, Michele, I'm rarely right about the little details. Hee. But sssshhh... don't tell anyone I admitted that!

Maybe the "will you marry me" comment was on Rory's birthday, when she was telling Luke about the dresses Emily bought for them?

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Yup, it's episode "Rory's Birthday Parties".

Luke: She's not here yet.
Lorelai: Okay! Well, you'll have to entertain me 'til she gets here. Ok Burger Boy, DANCE!
Luke: Will you marry me?
Lorelai: What?
Luke: Just looking for something to shut you up.

message 28: by Sarah (last edited Jan 15, 2008 06:04PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) So in the episode "Haunted Leg" the Girls are talking about what to eat and they decide on Mac & Cheese, tater tots, pizza rolls, soup, and cake. And beef-a-roni. And chocolate impulse buying.

message 29: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

Wow. Sorry, but that is just frightening. That's EXACTLY what I had for dinner.

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Michele, Ha!

message 31: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 23 comments I have until Feb. 2 so keep it coming

message 32: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicaesq) Don't forget the "Duds" (Milk Duds)!

message 33: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Remember the way Rory made Mac & cheese? she boiled some pasta and then put slices of American cheese on it to melt and stirred it up. When she was doing laundry at two in the morning. Gross.

message 34: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

Sarah, thanks for condescending to laugh at my joke! I started to write that it was just gross and that is what came out... so I laughed at myself... which is perhaps not a good sign!

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) No condescension. It was funny.

message 36: by Dottie (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 698 comments Good thing I didn't have tea in my mouth when I came to this thread to see what was being said -- or my poor new keyboard would have been irrevocably (that does NOT look right at all) altered!

message 37: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Did someone mention jello? Didn't Rory make jello in her Donna Reed date with Dean? Don't eat the burnt roast though. gross.

message 38: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Oh yeah! And mashed potatoes and peas. Oh, and I want that orange dress she wore.

message 39: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Oh, I loved that episode! Rory looked so cute. Didn't Lorelai say something like, "Oh my God, I just saw the pearls!" when she saw Rory all dolled up? That killed me. lol

message 40: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Tiffany, my husband was out of town for a couple of days and I wanted things to be nice for him when he got back. So, earlier today, my homemade chocolate chip cookies were in the oven and I was arranging some fresh flowers. I was wearing a frilly kind of apron and I had the oddest urge to go put on heels and pearls. Heh.

message 41: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (last edited Feb 13, 2008 02:53PM) (new)

Oh, always heels for me... except when sports training. Hee! In fact, today they're platform! Heh-heh.

message 42: by Sarah (last edited Jan 16, 2008 08:56PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Heals? Have another margarita, Michele. Ha!! I kid cause I love.

message 43: by Zoe (new)

Zoe | 16 comments what ARE mallowmars, anyway?
also... there was one episode where rory has toaster waffles (eggo) with maple syrup and chocolate sauce.. ew,

message 44: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Jan 27, 2008 06:36PM) (new)

Mallomars

Mallomars are produced seasonally at Nabisco. A circle of Graham cracker is covered with a puff of extruded marshmallow, then "enrobed" in dark chocolate, which forms a hard shell. Mallomars were introduced to the public in 1913, the same year as the Moon Pie (a confection which has similar ingredients). The first box of Mallomars was sold in West Hoboken, NJ (now Union City, NJ). Nabisco discusses it with a short story printed on Mallomar boxes.

Because Mallomars melt easily in summer temperatures, they can become difficult to find during the summer: they are generally available from early October through April. Devoted eaters of the cookie have been known to stock up during winter months and keep them refrigerated over the summer. Seventy percent of all Mallomars sold are sold in metropolitan New York.

(They did not just say "enrobed" in dark chocolate--gotta love wikipedia for their attempt to legitimize all entries)

message 45: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Okay, I laughed out loud. "Enrobed" just sounds so wrong and dirty when speaking of the beloved confection that is the mallomar. However, to compare a mallomar to a moon pie is just wrong!For shame Nabisco. heh

message 46: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 23 comments I was just watching the episode where they make rice krispies and marshmellows cearl

I just tried it and have to say I am a Fan

message 47: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I thought that cereal was so funny. It's like a Rice Krispy treat without the melting.

message 48: by Shaindel (last edited Jan 29, 2008 09:56PM) (new)

Shaindel | 54 comments So funny that you remembered the Lorelei salad in a bag and dumping in the Ranch dressing! I actually started doing this occassionally after that episode. I'd forgotten. I'll have to pick up the habit again ;-)

It's sort of like a "walking taco" which is where you pour taco ingredients into a Fritos bag and shake it up.

message 49: by Shaindel (new)

Shaindel | 54 comments Oh, one other thing, thanks for the BIZARRE Mallomar cravings! I bought the generic kind to help me grade papers tonight :-)

message 50: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Oh, I sometimes dump Tabasco sauce into a small bag of chips and shake it up. Needless to say, I like spicy stuff. It's especially good with Baked Lays, which are so bland.

« previous 1