J.D. Robb discussion

Promises in Death (In Death, #28)
This topic is about Promises in Death
In Death Books > Promises in Death (Spoiler Zone)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 14 comments Ok, I finished it and I loved it. I felt like this was going back to the feel of previous books after a disappointing Salvation in Death. The gooeyness of Eve off and on for Roarke and how she just realizes how he gets her was fantastic (THE NEW CAR!!!), and her caring and compassion for Morris and great dreams about Coltraine (I choose to believe that it was not all Eve's subconscious). I was hooked from start to finsh and just really enjoyed it all. Oh and having the bridal shower and then getting to use all of her women in a walk-through of what she had was a genius way to get through it. Mavis is amazing and Eve is lucky to have her.
Shannon

Adelheid (thecelticmyst) | 42 comments I am still waiting for my copy. :P.

Jess | 39 comments I haven't had the chance to read it yet.. but I'm hoping it will be a little less like a formula. Maybe something new and exciting that is unpredictable?? lol. please?

Lori | 6 comments It would be nice if people would hide their reviews if they contain spoilers!

message 5: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 14 comments Sorry, not to be snippy because I was the one that posted first on this but since it was posted on the title of that new book if you are unsure then wait until you are done reading the book before going on the post. I posted this as soon as I was done reading the book in case anyone who was done wanted to converse on it. Since you can see what it is about it should not be a major surprise that I was talking about it. Please do not take this the wrong way I hope this does not come off too snotty. I just really wanted to see what people had to say about the book and what they thought of the scenes that I enjoyed. Sorry to spoil anything for you.

Lori | 6 comments Not to sound snippy either but their is always going to be someone who hasnt read the book that stumbles on to a post. I actually came here to share that I was currently reading the book and enjoying it much better than the last In Death book. The great thing about this site is they do give you the option to hide your post if it does have spoilers so you can still conversate with those who have read it.Not a big deal though. I only read the first few sentences.

Adelheid (thecelticmyst) | 42 comments I am still waiting for my copy to arrive. *bleepidy, bleep* post office. :><

message 8: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 14 comments K thanks, I did not know that I could hide, still fairly new and just wanted to start a convo about the book.

message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather | 3 comments Just finished and I loved it. More like her earlier books. I'm always sad when I finish because I have to wait another 6 months. Great interactions between her and Roarke.

Adelheid (thecelticmyst) | 42 comments Shazzy,

I have had that happen to me before. I still swear there is a postal worker out there with a couple of my books.

message 11: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 14 comments To be honest that whole bad delivery happened to me with the 6th Harry Potter book so I just go to the store and buy them. I find that the J.D. Robb books are always there and I can just pick one up.

message 12: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess | 39 comments I just finished this book and I thought it was fantastic! it seemed closer to her earlier books which were a little less predictable. I loved the interactions between her and Roarke, and I liked how you see the other characters but it wasn't all about them. I want to read about the main characters not background people.

Can't wait for Kindred to come out.. I hate waiting. :(

Yolanda | 12 comments I loved it so much, I'm listening to it again. I didn't get a chance to get Salvation in death, but from what i'm hearing it wasn't one of her best. Could some one tell me what went wrong with it?

message 14: by Jess (last edited Mar 03, 2009 09:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess | 39 comments Shazzy - I tried to avoid even reading the blurb.. I knew it would entice me too much. but I gave in lol.

Adelheid (thecelticmyst) | 42 comments It arrived! Now I have to get off so I can start reading.

Adelheid (thecelticmyst) | 42 comments Shazzy,
I know where you are coming from. I have been known to seek out spoilers for books I am anticipating.

message 17: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess | 39 comments LOL. that's too funny. I hope that I can manage to distract myself with other books so I don't stew over waiting for the next one.

But I definitely liked how this book was a little better than the last two or three (in my opinion) so I'm really excited for the next one, hoping it's just as good. :)

Adelheid (thecelticmyst) | 42 comments Due to economic crunch I have had to tell myself no new authors. It is only semi-working.

Larissa (rissareadsromance) | 5 comments I know what you mean Shazzy! Goodreads is a blessing and a curse. I've found so many new authors through this site but it's also added to my spending! Our library has it's bargain book sale today; fill a grocery bag for $5 and I can't wait!

Adelheid (thecelticmyst) | 42 comments My local library has such a bad selection of books, that they do not even hold their bargain book sales. :(. I need to log onto the nearby cities sights so I can start going to theirs. There are so many people that do hit them arouond here, that you have to show up early.

Adelheid (thecelticmyst) | 42 comments There is one good staffer who has purchased a few books for me. Alas, it is just the one and they have to be able to justify the purchase to the board. After six months, she was there for a book I wanted on the War of the Roses. Otherwise, she has gotten one series for me. However, I have been told they do not even have the budget to add new artists to their CD collection. The book selection is truly laughable. At least they carry the JD Robb books, but I am number 17 now on the automatic wait list and they only purchase on copy of the book. If you want any of her Nora Roberts books, there are at least 30 people on the automatic wait list. It can take over a year to get the book!

Adelheid (thecelticmyst) | 42 comments It really does.

message 23: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess | 39 comments Wow, that is pretty ridiculous.. I can't imagine waiting a year to get a book

message 24: by Jess (last edited Apr 17, 2009 09:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess | 39 comments Morris!! My heart broke for him in this book. I hope that he somehow finds some peace in the next one. :(

PS - Shazzy, I'm loving the new avatar. that's going to be an awesome movie.

Lorifog I just finished listening to this on audio and absolutely loved it! Poor Morris. Can't wait for the next book. Anyone know when it comes out?

Lori :)

message 26: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 14 comments It comes out in November. I am beside myself...I have read the first chapter online at the J.D. Robb website several times.
Shannon

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments Poooooooorrrr Morris!!! I felt TERRIBLE for him!!! I love that Mavis totally nails who the killer is! ;)

I love how the girls were comparing their guys' sexual "personalities" to animals... Haha! Favorite scenes?

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13653 comments Mod
And who was the wolf:)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments Heehee....

This was Eve's finest hour as she had to act on instinct and be a friend to Morris. There are some really touching scenes between the two of them.

Didn't you live the girl scene in Eve's office the morning after the bridal shower? It seemed like a lot of fun and...Go Mavis!

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments Yes! It was awesome! All the "Smart Girls"...

I was trying to remember what they named themselves. Thanks for that.

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments Right now, I'm re-listening to "Promises" and there's a great scene between Eve and Roarke about BJ's. She's telling him that if she were to give him one right now, he would give her anything she wants. He puts a note in his PPC that at some future date, Eve will try and prove her theory.

Oh! I remember that well:) As best as I can recollect, he's never cashed in.

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments This book is also the one where Peabody admits her sexual fantasies with Morris and the other ME, Clipper. Eve remarks about how she thought Roarke was her fantasy, and she replies that she has the capacity to do more than one and even more than one at a time. Too funny!! I seem to be stuck on the sex talk scenes, but they are so funny, and I can't seem to help myself.

message 36: by Jeanie (last edited Jul 09, 2012 04:18PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeanie Jackson Lori wrote: "Just to let you know...it didnt say SPOILER ZONES back in 2009. If it did I never ever would have said anything.I can read ya know..."

Ok. Sorry to have misjudged the situation. I wasn't active here in 09, but many people don't pay attention to the Spoiler warning now that they are there, and I don't know you to judge. I have deleted my comment.

message 37: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori | 6 comments Ok, not a problem :) We are all here for the same reason. Because we love to read and we love to talk about what we read. I am not a hateful or mean person and I apologize if I came across that way :)

Diana | 28 comments Just curious if anyone else caught the clue to who done it during the first consult with Mira?

Mira talking about Alex Ricker: As his only acknowledged blood kin—as only son—Max Ricker would have expected a great deal.

You only know it's a clue if you've read the book and then re-read it to this point but It's made me wonder if there are any other clues such as this in the other books.

I remember that but still didn't know if it was Alex or Max.

Dianne | 2 comments Reading in series this is my most fav ! The character development and the shower are so terrific, I didn't want it to end !!!

The shower and the trip to Vegas!

message 42: by Vera (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vera M. | 446 comments Finished this book and loved it. I really liked how it was almost like an update on where all eve's relationships stand. Like I've seen some others say I did feel like it was back to the more enjoyable start of the series books. Just love how people shove themselves in Eve's life whether she likes it or not! Haha
As far as the mystery part, well I did at one point suspect Alex's buddy but I could not figure out the cop involved until being told by the book! I love when a writer can just keep me guessing and unsure but when I find out I can look back and be like yeah I see where this made sense I should've seen that damn! Lol

message 43: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 95 comments Shannon wrote: "Ok, I finished it and I loved it. I felt like this was going back to the feel of previous books after a disappointing Salvation in Death..."

I've not yet read Promises in Death. I'm still slogging my way through Salvation in Death which I can say that of the 27 novels and some novellas, this is the worst book so far. It's one that we could have easily done without.

JSWolf wrote: "Shannon wrote: "Ok, I finished it and I loved it. I felt like this was going back to the feel of previous books after a disappointing Salvation in Death..."

I've not yet read Promises in Death. I..."

You may want to post this instead in the Salvation thread.

Cast List (view spoiler)

There are no spoilers in the list. It's only set up this way because of its length and for easy reference.

message 46: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn | 3245 comments When you find nothing, it means you are eliminating what surrounds the something.

Is that a zen thing or something?

If it's not, it should be.

Li Morris and Eve Dallas, Promises in Death

I just loved that quote. I forget how much I love this book

This is one of my heartbreaking favorites. Don't you just love those exchanges between Eve and Morris? This is a good one.

message 48: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn | 3245 comments Yes, I really do...been tearing up for an hour now. Lol, the guys just went off to Vegas...the exchange between Eve and Roarke
"Can't you take me with you?
"Show me your penis"
"Shit! Can't I just borrow yours?"
HA!

LOL!!!!

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 4 comments What I liked about this one is how Morris came to be a much more 3-dimensional character. He just seemed to be in the background. (What next? An expansion of Dickhead's character?)

« previous 1