The Help The Help question


219 views
Does the Jim Crow mentality linger today?
Global Global Nov 27, 2012 11:47AM
That mentality still lingers no matter how much progress and knowledge is available...



agree!!!!!!!


Nitra wrote: "I think it very disrespectful for anyone to say that a race or ethnic group should "move on" from harsh abuse and discrimination. Even though some of us has not experience the actual abuse from tha..."

The effect comes out when people speak of our President....or complaints within our educational system...or even when the past is brought up... the list goes on....


Being from Texas I've seen two people from the same era. On was really backwards and still lived on the plantation his dad owned and he felt that yea things change bit he was still superior toe just because. I'm not the one that says slavery has brought me down, I feel in some it's the reason for some mental illnesses African Americans suffer from but never been treated or brought awareness to it. Many things from that era has effects on us daily personally. However I don't think all African American short comings is directly related to slavery. Some people do try to use that as an advantage for their mess up and failures. However that only applies to those individual an its not broad. Some people should understand that.


Maria wrote: "True, Mary. But you seldom hear women whining about their oppression and using it as an excuse not to excel in their personal and professional lives.

If someone insults me or treats me unfairly..."


Women DO complain about unfair treatment and we have good reason to. Our wages are still only 77% of male salaries for the same jobs. When women are in unions, their salaries are equal to male salaries, so discrimination is still very much alive in the non-union marketplace. Studies done with resumes shows that those submitted with an ethnic or female name have less chance of getting an interview. Pointing out that prejudice still exists does not keep one from attempting to excel. They are not mutually exclusive.


It does, unfortunately. And like someone else said, especially in the south. The war has never ended there.


Maria wrote: "Donnica said: " illegals here are here on their own choice but the black american people were brought here via deception"

Yes, and all groups, illegal or not, have the choice now of staying here ..."


Again black people chacracterized as having "no initiative"...hummm... and where did you get that from?...

There are plenty of black americans who have contributed dearly to this country...so the first thing to say is that black americans lack initiative is a typical statement of White america...


Wow, even when someone claims to be "color blind" it is deemed by some extremists to be a racist remark.

OK, I'm done. There are people who, if you say "the sky is blue" will say you have discriminated against the sky being red, therefore are racist.

Freaking ridiculous. Bye.


Again coming from someone who has had a diiferent beginning...humm again has any century kept you out of neighborhoods...employment positions...voting rights...or even adequate public schools..libraries...sitting on a bus...or had the national guard walk youto class?...


You can't relate....


I never said to forget about it. But move on? Yes, please. How many Jewish people do you see whining about their lot in life? NONE. They refuse to use their terrible persecution as an excuse to be a lazy, entitled race who blames everyone else for their lack of ambition.


Donnica wrote: "MaryAnn wrote: "Recently I watched the movie, A Soldier's Story. It was set during WWII before black and white troops were integrated. An investigation of the murder of a black sergeant was the p..."

Someone commented and now I can

Your comment is exactly what shuts down a conversation. 'We've been treated worse, we are not the same as you. You cannot compare the sorrows we've seen to yours because we are the exclusively wronged.'

Yes, Black women have been treated horribly but do you honestly think that Black people have the market on suffering and injustice cornered? Read some of these comments above for Pete's sake. Read about how the Irish were treated here and in Ireland. Look at what we are doing here and now to the Hispanic population, legal and illegal.

Frankly, I am just as tired of the guilt trip offense as I am of the superficial guilt mea culpa routine. Every body is predjudiced or operates out stereotypes to some degree. It is a primitive defense mechanism. It is understanding when those stereotypes are present, incorrect and consciously moving beyond them that is the challenge. And yeah you have to be conscious to make the change eventually unconscious. That's the real challenge - to cross over our differences to what we have in common or our equality.

Your words hurt and not because part of what you say is true. It is because I feel them as an attack. Same old 'White people are stupid, insensitive, unaware...'rant. Hope it made you feel better, empowered, whatever. It turned me off and out of this conversation.

I'll go back to reading for understanding and thwarting all anti humanism where ever it shows up in my usual oblique aka cowardly fashion.


There are lazy people of all races. Please stop taking every comment as a personal insult.


Lexi wrote: "You know, I live in TX and havee heard that out of a very old man's mouth in a small town full of only old people and from one person my age, who I quickly was like "i get you hate the Prez, would ..."

I've lived in Indiana and spent a short time in Michigan and yes... they all have some serious issues...Heck the KKK still has an a group there (indiana) so it has no reason to change for the better. The sheilds are in plain sight...


We should really be clear about slavery and the way the world functioned. Most salve owners build their riches from slaves. Yes the had lad and cattle but those cotton fields made them money. Every time they sold a slave, they made money. Their economic success came directly slaves working for free. They felt ownership to their slaves. Any slaver owner that died, she left the plantation to the next son. Many of those sons and daughters, granddaughters, now own all they property an money from the slave owner. So some people were born into riches although there are several ways we be born into riches. But have a father, brother, sister, mother in that era, their is a likely chance that some of us were born into riches. Whatever they do with money,land or cattle is there business but the fact remains, they were into. The same they were born into that frame of thinking. It's really up to them to change their way of thinking.


gdg: Check out this link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/afr...

And no, everyone is not born with an equal chance. That's where the actual WORK comes in.

Some people think that when they are born, they actually are OWED a chance. Some people, black or white, are born rich and don't have to work at anything. Some people, black or white, are born with nothing and have to actually work for what they have.

Some people/races/socio-economic classes of people have to work harder than others. I guess it just depends on how much they want something.

Would they rather work hard and expend much energy and time into making something of themselves, or just sit back and blame others for the fact that they are in the pitiful position that they are in?


Once again, I was misquoted. I did not say that ALL black people (or ALL people of any particular race) had no initiative.

I said THOSE THAT DO lack initiative, again OF ANY RACE should not blame that on anyone except themselves or maybe their parents for raising them that way.


Betsy (last edited Dec 31, 2012 12:10PM ) Dec 31, 2012 12:09PM   0 votes
It's been quite awhile since I've posted here-basically because I was called a liar for talking about the bigoted comments that were made in a teacher's lunch-room. The comments were made then were true and according to a fellow teacher these comments were made in November are also true.. In a small rural community in my state a woman stated she wasn't voting for that"n******" president" while the official just laughed. Sorry no, we still are dealing with Jim Crow Mentality.Only now,someone like my FB friend will call them out on it.


Black president is awesome and I encourage all Americans to work hard and they too can become president but let me be clear, people still have the same mentality. And like you say white people don't care about what they're ancestors have done to us and probably will never care. However I'm from Texas one of the most if not most backward state in the us. I'm not sure if you're aware that Texas petitioned to be removed from the union only after the black president was elected again. The Texas petition received over 22,000 signatures in less than 30 days. I guess those slaves owner left a little of their mentality or maybe they are still alive. Who knows? I sure hate the fact that all African Americans are stereo typed as being lazy and blaming Caucasian people for our short comings, even with a BLACK PRESIDENT!


Maria wrote: "Donnica wrote: "Again coming from someone who has had a diiferent beginning...humm again has any century kept you out of neighborhoods...employment positions...voting rights...or even adequate publ..."

the past affects the present.. for someone who has never had to experience that residue of the past you will never be able to speak from that perspective.


Of course the Jim Crow mentality exists today. I live in Georgia and I see it on a daily basis. It's a sad reality but you see the remnants of Jim Crow more among those of lower economic standing (black and white).


Maria wrote: "Donnica wrote: "Again coming from someone who has had a diiferent beginning...humm again has any century kept you out of neighborhoods...employment positions...voting rights...or even adequate publ..."


"Jim Crow" is a system that's constantly being revamped even as we speak... a culture has been created and mentality to keep a people in their place. Although I look young yes I have experienced the Jim Crow...Let's see


I have been denied entrance into a congregation...I have been called 'nigger" and yes in this century... questioned how I can travel... called "colored" ,, among just a few other statements....

Jim Crow is a mentality that has been and still goes on onto this day... Take a trip in the South... the residual effects are apparent. (One doesn't have to sing "Look Away Dixie" to see it... it's right in your face.


It you read the manifesta of Jim Crow this is what he wanted to maintain....

No one is saying blame or not to blame but it is apart of our AMERICAN FABRIC.


The people that has done wrong will never admit to their wrong doing no matter what generation committed the horrible acts. Instead they will choose to blame the victim. I've seen this all the time in criminal justice and criminal law. But if the tables were turned... Also I'm not sure who made the comment but I wallow in self pity! I'm very successful in my life and work hard for everything I have, and as I always have. Its working great for me because I work for everything I have and will always. However, I will not listen to disrespect from anyone especially when referring to innocent people. It's insensitive, disrespectful and sickening. You can't get over something that lasted for centuries. My ancestors fault hard and endured a lot of pain for me and others to be able to speak freely as I am now! I wouldn't stand to let anyone tell me that what they experienced was nothing and I should get over it and "move on"! If your loved one was murdered, abused or wronged in anyway you would want justice and go to any cost to make sure they receive the justice they are owed, no matter how long it takes or how long it last. But because the subject is "slavery", we should get over it and "move on". That's a joke! I'm guessing because it happened so long ago, right? You will never understand my argument, my struggle, my parents or grandparents struggle. You will never hear the stories of direct injustice directed toward your family or family members, you will never be shown the scars from wounds from your family members with no explanation or reason besides their skin color. I'm not old and I've never seen the abuse members of my family have witnessed but the stories I've heard and the scars I've seen is never something you can just "move on" from. Not every African American is stupid to their culture and truth behind our history that a book could never tell you. I could imagine the uproar that will linger on if Caucasians were in-slaved and beaten nearly to death or to death. Oh believe me it will go on for centuries if not forever. No remorse is there, and remorse tells a lot. If they could still get away with it, they would even today in America. With that said, Jim Crow lingers very much so and those who feel we as African Americans should get over it and "move on" most likely wouldn't fight to change the mentality but rather tell the victims to get over it and "move on" and that's the truth.


It's all in this book what is happening right now...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/67...

or just look at this graphic and try explain it in any other way than the legacy of slavery

http://www.prisonpolicy.org/graphs/ra...


I'd like to say that Canada certainly isn't a haven from racism. In the big cities (Toronto and Montreal) there are certainly enclaves of lower economic class neighbourhoods made up predominantly of blacks and black immigrants and there is certainly a gang culture. However, you will also see black men and women living happily and comfortably in middle and upper class neighbourhoods as well, completely integrated, and that number I think is growing. And I'm speaking from a white person's view. I'm sure black Canadians would have a different perspective to some extent.


The mentality still exists, especially here in Virginia, but I think it's mostly the Baby Boomers and that age group. The younger people seem to have a greater level of tolerance for all races and national groups. Kind of a "we are the world" thing.


Maria wrote: "Donnica wrote: "Again coming from someone who has had a diiferent beginning...humm again has any century kept you out of neighborhoods...employment positions...voting rights...or even adequate publ..."

Not balming other races for anything just simply stating that there are still many inequalities and injustices that's still among us..some more subtle then others and still many do not have an awareness of the residue the past still has and causes...


The mentality still exists today...


Maria wrote: "There are lazy people of all races. Please stop taking every comment as a personal insult."
When you make a comment that no one should use what happened in the past as an excuse for being lazy, you are inferring that those who are being discriminated are lazy. Not cool.


Ofsourse I realize that that's not a utopia but better than most....


I think it very disrespectful for anyone to say that a race or ethnic group should "move on" from harsh abuse and discrimination. Even though some of us has not experience the actual abuse from that race, doesn't mean we are not directly affect by it. These people that were abused and mistreated are our mothers, grandmothers, fathers, grandfathers and so on. I don't think anyone in this world would say "ok my parents and grandparents were beaten, treated like dogs and even murdered, but it's ok I'm moving on" that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. All blacks even younger generations do not moan and groan about their ancestors abuse, that is only a small number of individuals from our generations. Many of them fight back and still is putting up a fight because of the color of their skin. All generations are effected. Anyone that has never had family to go through this, should not tell anyone how they should react or deal with the tragedy. I know for a fact that African American families are affected by that era, example being education as mentioned earlier. Many African American families couldn't go to school and learn to better themselves so they chose to work and provide for their families. With that said many adults from my generations life goals is just to graduate high school because their parents and grandparents didn't or couldn't. Other races may see that as something that is suppose to happen or that will happen in this country because of the opportunities we have. Graduating college is something some black families don't even think is possible because of the things that were instilled in them from that era. All they heard was "blacks can't do this" and blacks shouldn't read or write" "blacks shouldn't own property". If that was told to you everyday of your life, that spills over into all other generations. You can't tell me that era in this country has no effect on today's America!


Jim Crow and the Republican Party are almost indistinguishable.


Global (last edited Jan 02, 2013 12:11PM ) Jan 02, 2013 12:03PM   0 votes
MaryAnn wrote: "Recently I watched the movie, A Soldier's Story. It was set during WWII before black and white troops were integrated. An investigation of the murder of a black sergeant was the plot. As the stor..."

Well White women may have been trapped by their roles but they still experience a level of freedom that the black females did not have... the two can not be compared...such as not being able to get on a bus and sit anywhere...being staked around in a store... being hit in the head with a club by a cop and have an exorbant amount of time on their heads...or being raped by a man and not being able to get justice and if he so happened to be white... justice wouldn't have been served... no one cannot compare the different between the oppression of black females and white women during that time or day.


I agree, Eva, for the blatant racists - that is going to be passed down, unfortunately, from generation to generation. I was referring to the not so "in-your-face" prejudices and fears of other races - not wanting to associate with others, that type of thing.

Most schools are so diversified now with lots of different races and cultures that I think the younger generations are more "color blind" than those that have gone before.

Again, (gdg) I am not trying to state facts for you to dispute - just my opinions and personal observations.


Maria (last edited Jan 07, 2013 02:27PM ) Jan 07, 2013 02:25PM   0 votes
True, Mary. But you seldom hear women whining about their oppression and using it as an excuse not to excel in their personal and professional lives.

If someone insults me or treats me unfairly, I try to do something about it, prove them wrong and try to excel anyway. I don't automatically say "they're prejudiced against me because I'm a woman, and since women have been oppressed for the past century, I won't even worry about bettering myself because it's impossible..."

See where I'm going?


gdg wrote: "Maria,

Where did you learn this:
"And the "deception" used to bring black people to the American colonies was perpetrated on them for the most part by other black people in Africa."

And do you be..."


People have an opportunity but still on the same playing field...

visit some of these low income areas and let me know if the school system is the same as your although tax dollars filter in these schools...it's not the same... some states are still segregated...well all have opportunity again AT DIFFERENT LEVELS.....


Global (last edited Jan 08, 2013 07:56AM ) Jan 08, 2013 07:56AM   0 votes
Jane wrote: "Looking through these comments there is a consistent theme of having an excuse to have a "woe is me" attitude. Here is a dose of reality. This is gonna sting a little.. The caucasion/white race mos..."

We may have a Black President but that still does not end anything...Slavery and inequality still goes on. That doesnn't end with four years of having a Black President...The United States has been built on inequality.


Lazy is not the proper word to use for any race. An entire race is not lazy, individuals are lazy and lack motivation. Jim Crow was created to affect and entire race. To make one superior to another. It is still here and will not go away. I recently wrote my memoir about my struggles of being African American in America. I strived to do everything I'm supposed to and never blame Caucasians for my struggles. I've always worked hard but of course racism and discrimination almost ruined my life and my career. I'm only one of a small amount of people maybe even one in a million that was able to fight back and overcome that horrible injustice and have a somewhat positive outcome. So yes Jim Crow mentality is well alive and all African Americans don't moan and groan and honestly some things do work against us. Those that are successful just work harder at our success.


Maria wrote: "Donnica wrote: "Again coming from someone who has had a diiferent beginning...humm again has any century kept you out of neighborhoods...employment positions...voting rights...or even adequate publ..."

OK...let me put this into perspective. When I started school, schools were still segregated. That was 48 years ago. For the first 5 years of my education, they remained segregated, so let's lop off 5 years to 43 years. So Black who today are 48 years or older, started their education in vastly inferior schools. Given that most of these inferior schools were in the south whose White school were also inferior, even getting into integrated school did not take care of the lag in education. The first 5 years of a child's life is very important as to how they achieve throughout school, but the largest indicator is the education level of the mother. We are barely 2 generations away from a time when many Blacks were illiterate. You do not make up that gap in a couple of generations. The education gap as well as the discriminatory employment gap has hindered most Blacks from being able to afford to move into good school districts. For nearly 100 years, women scored lower than men on most IQ tests. It took 100 years for women to not only achieve parity but for the first time to pass men in average IQ (this was accomplished very quickly once women achieved parity). Why would we expect Blacks to accomplish parity in less than half that time?


I don't have a lot of experience with the Southern States (I'm from Canada), but I think as long as blacks and whites lives separately (for cultural/economic/social reasons...whatever) feelings of mistrust and fear will linger, even among younger generations who never grew up with societal racism. (Obviously you could argue that but it depends where you're from.) People who lived through the Jim Crow years, I can't imagine, can dismiss those ideas altogether. But I'm still optimistic and think the world has come a vast distance in a relatively short time period. America is slower, but it has a nastier history too.


Jane (last edited Jan 07, 2013 07:36PM ) Jan 07, 2013 07:34PM   0 votes
Looking through these comments there is a consistent theme of having an excuse to have a "woe is me" attitude. Here is a dose of reality. This is gonna sting a little.. The caucasion/white race mostly as a whole, we are over it, we don't feel guilty about anything.... um, because our generation didn't do anything to you. ALLLL those slave owners back then. Guess what! They're dead!! The U.S. is a free country, there is ample opportunity for EVERYONE to succeed and be equal in employment, religon, schools, etc.. Hell we have a black president! He's awesome!! Did you notice what I said?? We have a BLACK PRESIDENT! No more excuses!! That.is.all.

13490580
ShesGorgeouslyGeeky I would definitely agree that more than anything it is age discrimination. And yes it is very damaging to a man's ego as well as the household's finan ...more
Jan 09, 2013 11:07AM
13490580
ShesGorgeouslyGeeky And just like my skin there is no escape for age...smh...our society is a disgrace when it comes to these matters.
Jan 09, 2013 11:12AM

Recently I watched the movie, A Soldier's Story. It was set during WWII before black and white troops were integrated. An investigation of the murder of a black sergeant was the plot. As the story unfolds the sergeant's internalized racism against the men of his own race and his own self hate of himself as a black man is revealed. At the end of the movie we talked about what have we done to these people and it occurred to me that what have we done to ourselves also. White people have reinforced or had reinforced for them that they are superior. Equality is theirs to give and allow. The oppressor never sees the world the way the oppressed does. Institutional racism is a knife that has cut deeply both ways. Healing the pathological racism of individuals will not be healed or eliminated easily or quickly. Sometimes it seems that it has just gone underground and festers on. But each of us needs to keep working on it, until equality is reflex.

One revelation for me in The Help was that the white women were just as trapped in their roles as their black maids. And in turn they were inferior to their male counterparts. I believe in the white/black conflict as in all conflicts individuals each have a part to play in the advance of a peaceful resolution.


I fit both... I'm black and Jewish... we speak of that time period always...We have a National Holiday for it a well as museums ... many have made a profession of keeping that memory alive....


No one lacks motivation...again one has to look at the system...Jim Crow is a System...


Phyllis wrote: "It does, unfortunately. And like someone else said, especially in the south. The war has never ended there."

The war or the mindset has never really changed. It 's better but the residue lingers. After reading the The Mis-Education of the Negroit's a true eye opener to how how system works and how the AMerican mindset has been shaped...


To Jane I would say go to the Pine Ridge reservation and tell me that those children have the same opportunities as some white kid living in an affluent suburb of any city in this country. It doesn't matter that there is a black president. Racism and discrimination are still alive and well in this country and to think otherwise is wishful thinking.


Maria (last edited Jan 07, 2013 02:12PM ) Jan 07, 2013 01:26PM   0 votes
Donnica wrote: "Again coming from someone who has had a diiferent beginning...humm again has any century kept you out of neighborhoods...employment positions...voting rights...or even adequate public schools..libr..."

Any "century"? Seriously? How far are people going to go back in order to blame someone else for their problems?

No none of those things have happened to me. And quite frankly judging by the age you appear to be on your profile pic, not to you either. So I CAN relate just as much as you can. Just because it happened to people of your race and not mine doesn't mean we both can't read the history books and relate to the unfairness of it. But, and correct me if I'm wrong - neither one of us experienced any of the Jim Crow things first hand.

And if it has happened to you, since you seem to be a successful person who is happy with yourself, you have overcome those horrible things and done well for yourself despite them. So, I'm not going to personally apologize for things my ancestors may have done to your ancestors in the PAST. We need to move forward - never forget, and learn from the mistakes - but NOT keep using the past as an excuse for not being able to have a good life NOW, in the PRESENT time.

The people who that DIRECTLY happened to (probably now in their 60s or 70s)could possibly blame their lot in life on those things. And as you said before, most have not done that. They have "contributed dearly to this country" - as well they should.

What if a white person blamed their lack of education, lack of a good job, living in an unsafe neighborhood on the fact that they felt so much guilt for what their ancestors did to black people. More than likely you would tell them that since they weren't directly responsible and they don't feel the same way as their ancestors, they should try to get over those guilt feelings and move on with their lives. Just reverse that scenario and maybe you'll understand where I'm coming from. Maybe.

In my opinion, the younger generation - who did not have any of those things happen DIRECTLY to them -have a tendency to blame other races and past oppression of their ANCESTORS for their lot in life. Which is simply a cop-out - and an excuse not to make their own lives better.


No one is saying that we have a monopoly on suffering but some intensity isn't the same as others. No one is trying to place any guilt trips on anyone never stated that. Words via anyone should be to inform not hurt,... You are simply going over board maybe you need to reflect on yours...


Plenty of people of all races lack motivation - lets just call it for what it is. Depression? Mental illness? Fatigue? Or because your great - grandma was a slave? Motivation has to come from deep inside a person.


um, no. not even close.


Maria wrote: "The mentality still exists, especially here in Virginia, but I think it's mostly the Baby Boomers and that age group. The younger people seem to have a greater level of tolerance for all races and..."

I have lived in Virgina several years ago and many were still using the word "colored" and this woman worked at the University.


Nitra wrote: "I think it very disrespectful for anyone to say that a race or ethnic group should "move on" from harsh abuse and discrimination. Even though some of us has not experience the actual abuse from tha..."

Nitra wrote: "I think it very disrespectful for anyone to say that a race or ethnic group should "move on" from harsh abuse and discrimination. Even though some of us has not experience the actual abuse from tha..." Wow! okay then just wallow in self-pity and pass that down from generation to generation, hows that working out for you so far?

Maria wrote: "Donnica said: " illegals here are here on their own choice but the black american people were brought here via deception"

Yes, and all groups, illegal or not, have the choice now of staying here ..."


Global (last edited Jan 03, 2013 04:11PM ) Jan 03, 2013 04:09PM   0 votes
Still different.. illegals here are here on their own choice but the black american people were brought here via deception so as a whole we as apeople were free to vote just in 1964...

If you feel that's the way you need to handle that then it's your choice...please continue to read and broaden your understanding until you are able to speak out again..... Thanks for sharing....


« previous 1
back to top

all discussions on this book | post a new topic


Books mentioned in this topic

The Help (other topics)
The Mis-Education of the Negro (other topics)