Smashwords Authors discussion

Marketing > Has Amazon removed your ebooks?

Comments (showing 1-3 of 3) (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ted (new)

Ted Summerfield (ted_summerfield) | 140 comments Has any other authors, Smashwords or not, had their ebooks removed by Amazon and not given a decent explanation as to why ebook(s) were removed?

On November 7th Amazon removed 5 of my puzzle ebooks because they weren't playable on the Kindle. I replied indicating there were over 300 word search puzzle ebooks available for sale now on Amazon that were also non-playable and was Amazon going to remove those as well. As of this post Amazon has not removed any other non-conforming puzzle ebooks and refuses to discuss reinstating my ebooks.

Such action by Amazon seems against fair trade or fair business practice when they can refuse to offer work by one author while selling similar - if not almost identical - work by other authors.

I also fail to see how offering Kindle owners only one version of a puzzle ebooks (interactive game app, as opposed to an ebook) is a benefit to Amazon Kindle owners.

I feel Amazon Kindle owners should have a right to choose to purchase a puzzle/game app or a puzzle/game ebook. From what Amazon tells me they only want puzzle/game apps and not puzzle/game ebooks for their Kindle devices. If that is so, then why remove only my ebooks and not the others? (Okay, so that is a whine.)

The only difference I can see between my puzzle ebooks removed by Amazon and those still available for sale on Amazon is that I had the temerity to advise Kindle owners they should print the ebook if their particular Kindle device doesn't allow drawing/typing over graphic images.

My ebooks weren't DRM protected, and are available on Smashwords for Kindle owners should they wish to have some inexpensive puzzle ebooks. Here is a list of my ebooks on Smashwords.

message 2: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 789 comments Very odd, but retailers do have a choice about what they stock (speaking as someone who long ago briefly ran a bricks-and-mortar bookshop). Out of interest, do you sell many puzzle ebooks? It would never have crossed my mind that such thing exists.

message 3: by Ted (new)

Ted Summerfield (ted_summerfield) | 140 comments I used to sell 1-3 puzzle ebooks a month on Amazon, Steph, priced at 99 cents or $1.99, and they were in the top 10, top 50, and top 100 in Amazon ranking for the various puzzle ebooks Amazon removed. It took about 6 months before sales of my puzzle books started to become steady on Amazon at 1-3 puzzle ebooks a month.

I understand the rights of a business to choose what to offer the public, but if a company removes Sunkist Oranges from Company A but continues to sell the same Sunkist Oranges from Company B - for more money than the same Sunkist Oranges from Company A in a lot of cases - then the buying customers are the ones on the wrong end of the stick.

As an author of DRM-free works I should have the right to tell customers how to print out my works if their particular device doesn't allow typing/drawing over images. Is Amazon so afraid of losing the 1-3 sales a month of my ebooks to piracy through printing that they would rather remove them then chance having them printed? Anyone can search MobilerRead or the Internet to discover how to print out Kindle ebooks, which is exactly what I did.

Amazon didn't remove my other puzzle ebooks. Amazon just removed my puzzle ebooks which mentioned printing them out. I don't believe that is fair to Kindle owners.