Advanced English IIB discussion

Reply here with your 1st journal.

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle Willis | 8 comments Chapter 1 pg. 5. " I was fourteen when I was murdered on December 6, 1973."
My reaction to this quote is that it was very straight forward. The author really jumped right into the story. Waisting barely any time trying to tell of things before her death. I also like that it is written in 3rd person but she is the main person in the story. You don't see very many books written like this but I think that it is very interesting.

message 3: by Jet (new)

Jet Nuestro | 8 comments Chapter 7: Page 95
"As Talon tried to catch a feel for the direction of the breeze, he had to admit how useful a flashlight would have been. But to Downside men, flashlights were considered a feminine accessory. . ."

My reaction is that, why is the flashlight considered a feminine accessory to Downside? I think it's because Men have that stereotype of being a hunter, and with that in mind men in downside needs to able to rely on their other senses and hardwork to find their way throughout Downside, and using a flashlight to do that would mean they're taking the easy way and might be considered weak.

message 4: by Raven (last edited Dec 12, 2012 01:58PM) (new)

Raven Haney | 8 comments CH.6 PG.69
She would tense up, yards from the fence, and for ten adrenalin-soaked minutes I would stand up to her, pleading for their lives,telling her that this is now their home.

This part of the chapter was so intense. I was shocked at how the owner of the elephants could remain so calm when a three ton mass was about to trample him down. I love to read about how passionate this man was, putting his life on the line so the elephants would be safe and not escape. His heroism is tremendous and to be recognized. I hope to some day have enough zeal and bravery to be able to literally look a obstacle in the eyes and say "No. This will happen.", with absolute certainty as this man did.

message 5: by Spencer (new)

Spencer Peace | 8 comments Chapter 1, Page 4
"'Never forget, these kids have had years of experience lying, manipulating, doing whatever it takes to get what they want,'"

This passage is important because it shows the attitude towards Garrett and kids like him. It also shows that the leaders and staff of this camp have a no-tolerance policy toward lying and manipulation, which is very prevalent in the institution he is traveling to.

message 6: by Caylin (new)

Caylin Neal | 8 comments Chapter 3 Page 56
"Just before I heard the shattering crunch of the van folding around the truck bed, something hit me, hard, but not from the direction I was expecting."

This quote from the book is important because, Edward had saved Bella and her truck from getting hit by the van that was sliding across the schools parking lot. This is when Bella starts to realize Edward and his family are not like everyone else at school. It also shows that Edward has a weak side for Bella and that he cares for her.

message 7: by Taylor (new)

Taylor | 8 comments "I made an appointment for you next week with Dr.Stern." Chapter 1, pg. 21
I wonder why they are making it such a big deal when she got to college and panicked. Are they going to turn this situation into the rising action of the plot?

message 8: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Dedden | 8 comments Chapter 1, Page 9
"Who's that?
That's the King.
Who's he?
The Duke.
Who's she.
The Princess.
What do they call you?
The Count.
What does that make me?
Umm... how about the Peasant?"

This quote is a discussion between Brian (another drum player) and Steven. My reaction to this quote is that Brian is awfully rude. Steven is just a new band member. Even though he is the smallest and youngest, it doesn't mean that Brian can go around and pick on him. He's practically telling Steven that he is dirty, poor, and just a low life person. All the other kids in band have cool nicknames (according to Steven) and Brian just insults him by calling him a "peasant".

message 9: by Jarrett (new)

Jarrett Stephenson | 11 comments Chapter 2, page 22
"I volunteer!" I gasp. "I volunteer as tribute!""

Catniss volunteered herself for Prim. Catniss is going to put her life before her sister so that Prim doesn't have to go to the arena and more than likely get killed. This tells us a lot about Catniss as a person. My reaction is that Catniss cares alot for her family and that she will put their family lives before hers. I admire her courage and loyalty to her family.

message 10: by Caine (new)

Caine Crowley | 8 comments Chapter 2 pg. 5
"Go on, now," he'd say. "This is grown-ups time."

The father is talking to his son about the study. The study for there house is where the adults go to smoke tobacco and drink coffee. My reaction is the father most likely is hiding something from him or does not think he is of age.

message 11: by Clay (new)

Clay Groeschen | 8 comments "Once you're in the arena, the rest of the world becomes very distant...All the people and things you loved or cared about almost cease to exist" Chapter 2 pages 21-22.

I feel like it is a devastating thing t be entered as a tribute. You fight for your life and you are constantly battling for survival. The chance of survival is very low, but all of the tributes aim for it. As I read this book, I feel the pressure that each and every tribute goes through as they enter the arena.

message 12: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Farley | 4 comments Page 17, Line 27
"Miss Caroline apparently thought I was lying."
When Miss Caroline doesn't believe the level at which Scout can read for how young she is, it is reassuring to me. When I started reading the book I was shocked with the tone and vocabulary because it is told in the perspective of a young girl. It made sense that the teacher questioned her ability to read.

message 13: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 8 comments "That's when I first saw Violet. I say "Violet" but that's stretching it because I didn't even know her name then and what I actually found was an urn with her inside it. The urn was the only thing in the place worth looking at."
Chapter 1. Pg. 4-5.

Who is Violet? And how does he get to know her if she was already dead? I wonder if this event with "Violet" will be significant throughout the book and not just in this one moment. What does she have to offer him?

message 14: by Justin (new)

Justin Lehkamp | 8 comments 1.“Not only am I suspended for five days, but I’ve actually got to switch high schools.” This quote is important because it shows that kids everywhere are irresponsible, kids everywhere are getting in trouble for silly things and for serious things. These problems can be bad for kids it can cause problems in their life just like in Pete’s life. Chapter 1 Page 8

message 15: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Auman | 8 comments The Grapes of Wrath Journal 1

The entirety of chapter 3: Page 78; "The concrete highway was edged with a mat of tangled, broken, dry grass…" through Page 79; "His yellow toe nails slipped a fraction in the dust."

This is a rather brilliant metaphor for the challenges the Joad family is going to face. This chapter depicts a turtle attempting to cross a highway. A man driving down the road attempts to hit the turtle, overturning its body and spinning it off the highway. After some effort, the turtle manages to get back on its feet and continue on its way. The mean-spirited driver represents the many obstacles that make life dangerous and difficult. The turtle represents the Joad family and how they will be called upon to face these forces attempting to overturn them. Through this, I predict that the Joad family is going to be no different from any other victims of the Great Depression; they will face economic hardship and will probably leave their home in the hope of finding relief.

message 16: by Brian (new)

Brian | 8 comments Chapter 1, pg. 1

"Your parents sent you to Lake Harmony because they love you."

My reaction to this is that the parents are trying to do whats best for the kid. He gets himself in a lot of trouble and the only way his parents think they can help is to send him off to boot camp. By doing this his parents hope to see him mature.

message 17: by Brooke (new)

Brooke Stevers | 8 comments ""You know, actually, I think I'm just going to go back home with you," I told my dad, who was still trying to decipher the campus map." Chapter 1, page 3.
I wonder why she made this big decision. Was it just out of the blue? Or was it something she had been thinking about? Did she really think it through?

message 18: by Zachmehuron (new)

Zachmehuron | 8 comments Entry #1 Polak pg.2 ch.1 “Mom was already out the door, so she didn’t hear what I muttered under my breath: “you already let him in.” ” Response: I can tell that Josh does not like his step father. I think if Josh doesn’t try to form a relationship with Clay it’s only going to put strain on the household.