Advanced English IIB 5th period discussion

Reply here with your 2nd journal.

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 8 comments "No!" protested Frankie."They'll see us and make us go. I don't want to go to school. I hate it!"(pg.13 chpt.2)Frankie is Doreen's brother. Greoge there causin wanted them to go past the school. But Frankie is afraid to get caught because if the ydo get cought the y will make them go to school. The teachers at the school are not nice at all to the gypsy kids. I wouldn't want to go neither.

message 3: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra Steffens (Kassstef) | 8 comments "Her frantic question was cut off by a noise Clary would never forget-a harsh, slithering noise, followed by a thump. Clary heard her mother draw in a sharp breath before speaking, her voice eerily calm: 'I love you, Clary.'
The phone went dead." (Ch.3, pg.45)

Her mother was kidnapped by Valentine, a very powerful but evil Shadowhunter. The slitering noise was Ravener demon. This paragraph sets the quest Clary goes on to find out what happened to her mother and why. She would do whatever it took to save her mother.

message 4: by Katie (new)

Katie Hess | 8 comments "Pa had died of a stroke when I was three, and now we had left him behind in Hong Kong. I didn't remember him at all but I missed him just the same." (Chapter 1,Page 15)
This tells about how Kim's mom is a single parent and how much Kim misses her dad. If Kim's dad was here he would be able to help them with the apartment. He would also be able to tell them it is a good thing they moved to the United States and they will really like it here so don't be scared.

message 5: by Carliecallery (new)

Carliecallery | 8 comments "It was times like these that let me know he was glad I was home."(Ch.5,pg.77)
The reason his dad was glad he was home was so he could make more food for his son. Even though they didn't have much to talk about they could have breakfast together.

message 6: by Amber (new)

Amber | 8 comments "You cant change laws without first changing human nature" (Ch. 20 Pg. 115)

I think the nurse is trying to say that you need to find a way to get the peoples attention and make them realize that unwinding your child is like hiring someone to kill them, but humanley. Just because they have to have a use for every body part, dont make it ok for thm to die just for the use of their body parts. And in order to change the law, you have to get the peoples attention and get them to agree so they can stand up and make that change happen.

message 7: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Moeykens | 8 comments "I yell, too. Anything to keep Ryan from going."(Ch.6, Pg 44)
At this point in the story Brody and his brother are at a concert against the Vietnam war. This quote proves that Brody doesn't want Ryan to have to go to war. And neither does Ryan. This is an important quote because up until now Ryan has acted like he doesn't really care if he stays or leaves, but now you know what side he's on.

message 8: by Blake (new)

Blake Schneider (blakeschneider) | 9 comments " If it's this easy for you to stop hanging around me and start hanging around with somebody else, then maybe we were never really that close friends in the first place. She kept staring at him, eyes starting to fill up now. Danny was afraid she was going to start crying.
This quote tells me that Tess and Danny were really good friends growing up but now Tess doesn't hang around Danny anymore. Danny gets angry and thinks that they were never really friends. I think Danny made a mistake but Tess did start spending all her time with Mr. Perfect now.

message 9: by Blake (new)

Blake Schneider (blakeschneider) | 9 comments My last journal was Chapter 3, page 24.

message 10: by Jodygregory (new)

Jodygregory | 9 comments "I wanted to ask her some questions, but I was too shy. She smoked her cigarette and looked me up and down, as if she was trying to find something else I could give her." page 8

This is important because this is the first encounter with No. Lou is very intrigued by her, and is interested enough to interview her. This will be the start of a beautiful friendship.

message 11: by Blake (last edited Jan 17, 2013 11:15AM) (new)

Blake Bell | 8 comments In the Second Paragraph Brady finds out about this Football that Tom Brady(Brady's Hero) Signed and is for sale for $500, which he decides to save up for. Blake Bell

message 12: by Makenna (new)

Makenna Lee | 8 comments “Ponni was gone, so we all help clear away the dinner dishes and wash them. Amma rinsed the food off, I scrubbed them with the hide of a coconut until they sparkled and appa and Kitta set them on the counter to dry.” (Page 27)

I find this part important because you are introduced to all the characters. Also Ponni, who is there maid, has left so Vidya and her family have to do all the house work, which is something that rarely happens. You also grasp how close the family is in this paragraph due to the fact that they are all working together.

message 13: by Micky (new)

Micky Gligorevic | 8 comments Leo hasn't been able to get his mind off negative experiences from his past. I believe this has something to do with a connection he doesn't know of to the dead counselor of his cabin whose bed he received, Beckendorf. Page 73, chapter 5 - "As they were leaving, Leo looked back at his new bed, and he could almost imagine a dead counselor sitting there - another ghost who wasn't going to leave Leo alone". I predict this is foreshadowing that in some way Beckendorf will negatively affect Leo even though he is dead.

message 14: by 6ethan6frank6 (new)

6ethan6frank6 | 4 comments “When I went back to my parents, I told them: “I think I might be, y’know, depressed.””
This is a very important part of the book because it’s the very first time Craig tells his parents he is depressed. I thought it was very shocking because it was also the first time he had stress induced vomiting. What was even more shocking s that they were in a restaurant. From what I have read I didn’t think that Craig would say something like that in public to his parents. It’s not very like his character to say something like this in such a crowded area. I think he did this so his family wouldn’t react in a certain way and him get embarrassed.

message 15: by Christina (new)

Christina Owens (LoverlyPairsOfMonsters) | 8 comments “Spackle!” Manchee barks, tho he’s too chicken to attack now that I’ve held back. “Spackle! Spackle! Spackle!”
“Shut up, Manchee,” I say.
“Spackle!”
“I said shut up!” I shout, which stops him.
“Spackle?” Manchee says, unsure of things now.
I swallow, trying to get rid of the pressure in my throat, the unbelieveable sadness that comes and comes as I look at it looking back at me. Knowledge is dangerous and men lie and the world keeps changing, whether I want it to or not.
Cuz, it ain’t a Spackle.
“It’s a girl,” I say.
It’s a girl.”

Instead of finding Speckle, he finds a girl. Because of Noise the female population is no longer around in Todd's town, the noise killed them all. The girl was obviously not hit with the noise yet, so the silence that came from her led Todd to automatically assume that it was Speckle. This is when Todd realizes that he has to do something else than he thought he originally had to do.
This is important because of the fact that the female population is dead, and know there's a random girl in the middle of the swamp.