UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Author Zone - Readers Welcome! > Pubit for UK Authors?

Comments (showing 1-25 of 25) (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob (new)

Rob Godfrey | 91 comments I still have this hope that I can self-publish on Barnes & Nobles site (for the Nook).

Has anyone done this as a UK author?

Michael Cargill Cargill (MichaelCargill) | 2951 comments Yes, but not directly. If you sign up to the Smashwords site, they'll push your books out to a number of ebook retailers.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61382 comments Pubit?

New word that I've not heard of before?

Michael Cargill Cargill (MichaelCargill) | 2951 comments I keep reading it as being something to do with pubes.

message 5: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9437 comments Obviously my mind is in the wrong gutter. Round here "pub it" is a common term for going down the pub, as in "shall we pub it tonight?". So I read the title as a call for a UK Authors pub crawl... ;)

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61382 comments My thinking was the same as Michael's.

Gingerlily - All kinds of everything! | 36417 comments Patti (Migrating Coconut) wrote: "My thinking was the same as Michael's."

That doesn't surprise me at all!

message 8: by Rob (new)

Rob Godfrey | 91 comments Come on now kids - concentrate on the topic..

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61382 comments But the question was answered in the second post.

Wasn't it?

message 10: by Rob (new)

Rob Godfrey | 91 comments Patti (Migrating Coconut) wrote: "But the question was answered in the second post.

Wasn't it?"

I'd read several months ago that B&N were going to set up PubIt for UK authors - I did now about the previous method (via Smashwords) but was hoping to hear if anyone had heard anything else.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61382 comments Oooooooh!

Nope. First I've heard of PubIt.

message 12: by Rob (new)

Rob Godfrey | 91 comments Patti (Migrating Coconut) wrote: "Oooooooh!

Nope. First I've heard of PubIt."

It B&Ns equivalent of Amazons KDP. But as far as I can see it only seems to be available for direct publishing on their US site.

Its here: http://pubit.barnesandnoble.com/pubit...

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61382 comments Cool Rob.

I've learned something new!

It is an unfortunate choice of a name for it though, doncha think? ;)

message 14: by Rob (new)

Rob Godfrey | 91 comments Patti (Migrating Coconut) wrote: "Cool Rob.

I've learned something new!

It is an unfortunate choice of a name for it though, doncha think? ;)"

Nookebooks, Writeit??

message 15: by Ruby (new)

Ruby Barnes (RubyBarnes) | 40 comments No news on PubIt UK yet anyone?

message 16: by Karen (new)

Karen Lowe | 2219 comments I've just converted my three for Nook, and uploaded using Kobo's Writing Life which seems to have links to other retailers. It seems to be on a similar basis to the kindle direct publishing. Will wait and see if it sells.

message 17: by M.A. (new)

M.A. Comley (Melcom) Smashwords are a total waste of time. I'll be uploading to Kobo's writing Life soon and hoping that Pub It open up in the UK in the near future. :-(

Everything seems to cater for the US authors and UK authors seem to always miss out.

message 18: by M.A. (new)

M.A. Comley (Melcom) This might help UK authors, it's in beta mode at the moment. https://www.draft2digital.com/

message 19: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Wakeling | 111 comments Aha, that's great news, M.A.

As an aside - what's been your issue with Smashwords? I've actually found them extremely good. I don't sell a lot...but I've never found the actual mechanics any problem.

message 20: by M.A. (new)

M.A. Comley (Melcom) Price changes take nearly three months to happen in my experience, Geoffrey. The fact that all my books get rejected as soon as they go through the meatgrinder!

I hate the way they hold on to your royalties for three months and take a further 6 weeks to deposit the royalties to your paypal account.

It takes several weeks for your books to be distributed to the other outlets.

I chased up a price change 3 - 4 times only to receive an email from a young lady to say 'I'm sitting on a beach at the moment, I'll deal with your problem when I return in a couple of weeks' not helpful especially when she ended her email with a smiley face! Hardly a professional approach in my book! Excuse the pun.

message 21: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Wakeling | 111 comments Wow! You've been through the mill with them!

I must admit, I've never done a price change so I can't comment on that. And, I agree with distribution - it does take ages. But I sometimes wonder whether this is Smashword's fault. My last two books have been shipped and available on iBooks within days of placing on Smashwords. B&N, however, takes weeks....I wonder if this isn't an issue at B&N's end??

Still, I already use KWL, so I'd happily turn to PubIt when it's freely available for UK authors.

message 22: by M.A. (new)

M.A. Comley (Melcom) Go on - change a price I dare you! lol :-)

message 23: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17941 comments PubIt! That makes more sense, I've been reading it as pube-it

message 24: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Wakeling | 111 comments @M.A - I don't think I dare! ;)

message 25: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9437 comments That d2d site looks interesting, although they only have a few channels, and the percentage means the more you sell the more it costs. And you still have the hassle of the ITIN. Plus I don't really nearly need a conversion service.

Ebook partnership handles the ITIN aspect and is a fixed cost (plus they distribute to more outlets). I guess which is better depends on your sales volume - which is hard to predict at the moment (although I fully expect to reach double figures within a year... ;)