Legal Thrillers group discussion

What's your #1 favorite legal thriller?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Holly (new)

Holly (hbeauchene) | 10 comments Mod
What's your favorite legal author or legal thriller? The one that got you hooked, the one that stands out most in your mind!

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason | 3 comments Probably the first one I read, which I absolutely loved, was a Grisham; the Runaway Jury. I think I liked it because it was about people taking on corporations/industries much stronger than individuals . . . and winning.

message 3: by Daga (new)

Daga | 3 comments I won't be different. To be honest, I have started my reading adventure exactly with Grisham. I bought The Client when I was thirteen and since then I've read, apart from Playing for pizza, which somehow managed to skip my attention (now on TBR list)all his books and I absolutely love them. Not all but I do appreciate his efforts to search new ways and topics.
Now that I am thinking, I dont know any other writer as him.

message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Do you count Nancy Drew and the Bobbsey Twins????

Beyond that (showing my age here), the ones that got me started on legal books had to have been the Perry Mason books by Erle Stanley Gardner. I used to watch the television show with my mom when I was a kid, then started checking the books out from the library. That's the author that got me started.

message 5: by Greg (new)

Greg McCarthy (gregmccarthy) | 11 comments Grisham's are great. His best was probably his first - A Time to Kill. Best finish was The Appeal. The villain, mega-rich head of a chemical company, sails around Manhattan in his new $30 million yacht, having manipulated justice and the stock market to his advantantage. His thought upon surveying his domain: Now that he had two billion, what he really wanted was six.

message 6: by Helen (last edited Feb 01, 2011 09:04AM) (new)

Helen Hanson (helenhanson) Scott Turow is an excellent writer. I really enjoyed the way he promoted a secondary character into the protagonist in his subsequent novels, starting after Presumed Innocent.

That said, Turow's work is extremely gritty. I think that's one of the reasons Grisham sells so well. He turns out consistently intriguing stories that everyone can read. A Time to Kill was great. I always enjoy the ones were he injects some humor, such as, The King of Torts.

message 7: by Daga (new)

Daga | 3 comments Sandy wrote: "Do you count Nancy Drew and the Bobbsey Twins????

Beyond that (showing my age here), the ones that got me started on legal books had to have been the Perry Mason books by Erle Stanley Gardner..."

I haven't heard of them but will gladly check them out. Though recently I'm short of time and then a bit fed up with legal/detective stories. Nevertheless, I have my different reading periods throughout the year, so I am pretty sure that I will feel the urge to read something of this genre again. I shall have a go at those you've mentioned, for a change :p

I've never actually read anything by Turow, though I am familiar with the name. I guess I should check him out as well :D

message 8: by Sara (new)

Sara (Sun_Diva) Would you count Capital Scandal by Sarah Gregory? It was actually written just months before the whole Chandra Levy disappearance.... talk about eerie! I won't part with this paperback, I've carried it around the world since I bought it. I've read it several times.

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (TwinMom514) | 1 comments The first Grisham, A Time To Kill, was the one that got me hooked. Still his best and my fave.

message 10: by Greg (new)

Greg McCarthy (gregmccarthy) | 11 comments Jennifer, you're right--A Time to Kill was Grisham's best. Funny thing is, he couldn't sell it. He moved about 500 copies out of his trunk, but nobody would pick it up to publish. After The Firm caught fire, the publisher asked if he had another book. Grisham said, "Yeah, it's called A Time to Kill, and you hated it a year ago." Ahh, the joys of writing and publishing.

I hope you'll try my legal thriller, The Price of Life. You can check it out at Amazon here. http://www.amazon.com/Price-Life-Greg...

Best,
Greg

message 11: by Mayine (new)

Mayine (mayine11) | 3 comments My absolute best is To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. I like today's bestsellers but joined this group to find literary courtroom dramas and legal thrillers, my favorite genre, of which I read too little of as it's hard to find deeply engrossing (and not gory) legal fiction. Excited to have found this group!

message 12: by Ives (new)

Ives Braghittoni (IvesBraghittoni) | 3 comments Turow's "Presumed Inocent" is my number one...

message 13: by David (new)

David Cooper (davidcooperbooks) | 6 comments One of Grisham's that's often overlooked is The Partner, where a law firm partner fakes his own death in order to make off with a large sum of money belonging to the firm (lawyers, who'd have thought it?). The ending was refreshingly unpredictable.

Greg - good luck with yours. Please excuse the sound of my own trumpet blowing too for my own recently published legal thriller Hatred, Ridicule & Contempt.

http://davidcooperbooks.blogspot.com/...

message 14: by Alisa (last edited Feb 26, 2012 12:54PM) (new)

Alisa | 1 comments A Time to Kill by John Grisham, followed by the long time classic, To Kill a Mockingbird.

message 15: by Holly (new)

Holly (hbeauchene) | 10 comments Mod
Oh my! I can't believe we forgot To Kill a Mockingbird! Good call!!

message 16: by Brent (new)

Brent (wolfingbarger) | 3 comments Maybe I'm the oddball, but I've always been partial to The Pelican Brief for some reason. :-)

message 17: by Manish (new)

Manish Jain (manishlogan) | 6 comments I started reading with The Testament by John Grisham, but it was The Partner that got me totally hooked to him. Most of the time when I am reading legal thrillers, its from Grisham.

Though there are few other writers that I will be trying soon, Steve Martini for example is considered as one of the finest Courtroom thriller/Drama writers, and I will start his book The Judge soon enough.

message 18: by Graham (new)

Graham (graham_b) | 1 comments I started with The Firm, my favorite recent read of his, was the Street Lawyer.

message 19: by Jeryme (new)

Jeryme | 1 comments I like the Lou Mason series by Joel Goodman!

message 20: by Mayine (new)

Mayine (mayine11) | 3 comments what are you reading these days?

message 21: by Manish (last edited Aug 02, 2012 10:04PM) (new)

Manish Jain (manishlogan) | 6 comments I am currently Reading Kane and Abel by Jeffrey Archer, 22 pages left, will finish it off today.

Other than that, I am reading Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz. Its an interesting read and keeps me hooked.

What are you reading?

message 22: by Mayine (new)

Mayine (mayine11) | 3 comments I'm in-between legal thrillers right now (reading Red Hook Road by Ayelet Waldman) and in search of a good legal thriller with a complex storyline, intertwining plots and characters, lots of courtroom drama, but without all the gore and violence. Probably not easy to find...

message 23: by Dahlia (new)

Dahlia R (booklover78) Deja Dead bu Kathy Reichs got me completely hooked on the Temperance Brennan series and legal thrillers in general. Afterwards, I plowed through all of Patricia Cornwell's books. I just read a John Grisham and was less than impressed, (The Confession).

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Castille | 1 comments I loved the Firm until they made it into a movie with Tom Cruise. He was so not how I pictured the main character...

message 25: by Randall (new)

Randall (golf11) | 1 comments My favorite was John Grisham's first book!

message 26: by Cory (new)

Cory Goff | 2 comments My first contact with legal thrillers was Primal Fear by William Diehl. The court room drama was wonderful. I went to Grisham and Martini from there.

message 27: by Manish (new)

Manish Jain (manishlogan) | 6 comments Primal Fear, added to the list. :)