Lois McMaster Bujold Fans discussion

Vorkosigan Universe > Captain Vorpatril's Alliance

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by kvon (new)

kvon | 8 comments So what do people think about the recent book?

I am really glad that the back cover was not on the front, it looked rather embarrassing. Although a good reference for Rish's appearance.

I liked Ivan's laid back attitude in comparison to Miles'.

message 2: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Schmidbauer (MindyJoSchmid) | 2 comments I really loved this book. Granted, it lacked a bit of the emotional impact of the end of the last one. However, it was about time for a bit lighter book in the series. And I was glad for one more Vor book. Even a Vorpatril not a Vorkosigan!

I think this was exactly how Ivan should have ended up.

message 3: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidid73) | 2 comments I liked it - it was "Ivan" all over. There was a good continuation of character development from "Civil Campaign" for both Ivan and Byerly, and it felt like a very natural extension.

It was great for Illyan to have something more than a background role - I think we see more of his personality here than anywhere else - in previous books it was all about responsibility, security, or recovering from the events in "Memory."

I agree with Melinda - it was about time for something lighter.

And the fate of the ugliest building in Vorbarr Sultana was priceless...couldn't stop grinning.

message 4: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy | 5 comments Yes, very pleased with Ivan's adventure.

message 5: by Jumana (new)

Jumana | 32 comments Loved the insight into Illyan. And Bylerly finally finds a place to be home, he was really a misfit in Barrayan society and I felt sorry for him.

message 6: by kvon (new)

kvon | 8 comments I started laughing when I finally figured out the 'mole' reference in the timeline.

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate | 1 comments It was a fine book but a little too light for my tastes. I wonder if LMB is avoiding the darkness of the next Chalion book.

message 8: by Holly (new)

Holly | 1 comments Good book, nice to meet find out more about Ivan, especially regarding his mom, Alice. Here is my review of the book. http://www.girlsguidetoscifi.blogspot...

message 9: by Aileen (new)

Aileen | 143 comments I only have an audio version of this much-anticipated book, so I need to caveat my reaction by saying I don't think audio is a great way to 'read' books for the first time, especially if they are at all complex. Having said that, I enjoyed it, but I didn't love it. It was fun, but not up to the standard Bujold has set in most of the other Vorkorsigan novels. Probably a three star in my ratings. Yes, it was great to get some details tied up, to revisit favourite characters and situations, it was like rereading a childhood favourite.