Ravelry Knitters discussion

A Holiday Yarn (A Seaside Knitters Mystery #4)
This topic is about A Holiday Yarn
Group Reading > December 2012 Group Read - a Holiday Yarn

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zoe (new) - rated it 2 stars

Zoe | 355 comments Mod
Welcome all! This won the votes for the December group read, proving many of us wanted something cozy and knitting related. I am thrilled that this is at my library, so I hope to start promptly next weekend!

message 2: by Zoe (new) - rated it 2 stars

Zoe | 355 comments Mod
Enjoying this so far. It's been a long time since I read a cozy mystery, and during this hectic holiday season, I'm kind of enjoying the light, fluffy read!

Stephanie (QuiltsRMe) Got it finally. Will start this weekend.

Rachel Murphy (facelikefizz) | 90 comments Mod
I'm saving mine for Christmas week, once things are a bit less hectic (translation: once I've finished knitting presents!) and I have a few days off work.

message 5: by Zoe (new) - rated it 2 stars

Zoe | 355 comments Mod
I'm enjoying this, but I wish they would spend more time in the knitting shop. I had read the first in this series a while ago, but it took me a while to remember who all the "regulars" were.

message 6: by Barbara (last edited Dec 17, 2012 03:45PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Barbara (bdegar) | 12 comments I finished this book this weekend. I couldn't figure out who the main character or characters were. I didn't realize til I got to the end of the book what was missing and this was the reason I felt that the characters lacked depth. I also wanted more serious knitting activity (cashmere for a baby garment - really?) and more local color having New England roots. There was some local color but not enough to satisfy my reason for picking up a book supposedly set in Cape Ann, Massachusetts. And what's with the constant stream of lobster rolls in December? I am sure it is possible to serve lobster rolls in winter but I associate them with summer.

message 7: by Zoe (new) - rated it 2 stars

Zoe | 355 comments Mod
Barbara, I have to agree. I had read the first book in this series before, so I knew it had a protagonist that spent most of her time talking about other people, but I wanted more knitting time too. I did appreciate the introduction of a new charity I hadn't known about- I mean, if you know a whole bunch of knitters are going to read your book, use that! But the mystery was only so-so, and I found myself wanting to know more about Izzy and Sam's relationship (since that seemed the most interesting thing going on).

Definitely not unpleasant to read, but very, very, very, light!

message 8: by Barbara (last edited Dec 19, 2012 07:47AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Barbara (bdegar) | 12 comments I also felt I wanted to know more about Sam and Izzy so we'd have reason to care that Sam was being so secretive. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

message 9: by Zoe (new) - rated it 2 stars

Zoe | 355 comments Mod
No problem. And Having spent many summers in Cape Cod, I found the lobster rolls odd- because there's not much lobster in Cape Cod - its more a Maine thing! Not an oyster in sight, however!

Barbara (bdegar) | 12 comments Don't know if they still do it, but I do remember lobster rolls at Mc Donald's in Maine in the summer. Wouldn't be my first choice of where to get them, but I think it's pretty cool.

message 11: by Kim (new)

Kim Degener (SpinningMommy) | 5 comments I didn't LOVE the book, but it was good for a light, casual read. I agreed with the comments about the books depth. I enjoyed it enough to read the rest of the series, though.

message 12: by Zoe (new) - rated it 2 stars

Zoe | 355 comments Mod
Yes, Kim, while I found it really light, it was about my speed for this month. December has so much going on for me, mental gymnastics just aren't going to happen. :)

By the way, the January poll is up, so if you're going to get gift cards or have Audible credits to burn, go take a peek at our small but interesting group for January!

Rachel Murphy (facelikefizz) | 90 comments Mod
Finished, 7 minutes before midnight! I really enjoyed it, a nice light read which is just what I needed at this busy time of year. I liked the descriptions of Cape Ann - it sounds lovely. The story was a little obvious - I'd worked out the murderer about two thirds through so it was frustrating that the characters were taking so long about it. How on earth didn't they realise the obsessed man must have been married?!

I think I'm likely to read more from the series. It was certainly much better than the Cedar Key books.

And I see it's after midnight. Happy New Year everyone!

Stephanie (QuiltsRMe) It's 10:30 pm on the 31st and I just finished. This was a quick lovely read and I plan to get the rest of the series. What a good choice. It's now 9 below zero F with snow on the ground, so I felt all cozy in my warm knitted bed socks with a recently finished crocheted afghan on top while reading with my Kindle.