The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP Winter 2012-2013 > 25.1 - Laurie ME's Task - A Tribute to the Women in my Life

Comments (showing 1-38 of 38) (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Nov 28, 2012 05:32AM) (new)

Sandy | 12649 comments Mod
25.1 - Laurie ME's Task - A Tribute to the Women in my Life

Please choose 2 different options. REQUIRED: State which options you chose, and, in any case where the connection is not obvious from the GR description, please explain the connection.

1. My mother’s mother, Dorothy: For Grammy Dot, family was the center of her life, but she also was a college graduate and worked in a bakery when I was a young child. She wrote poetry and had a couple of her pieces published.

In honor of her: please choose a book of poetry (with poetry listed in its main page) or a book set in or around a bakery or the main characters are involved in baking.

2. My father’s mother, Marion: For Gram Marion or Gram the Great, she was a card playing scamp, possibly because she taught first grade for 37 years. Whenever I visited her on Vinalhaven, we’d spend hours playing cribbage or Yahtzee; or watch our beloved Boston Red Sox; or read together.

In honor of this grandmother: please choose a book where a game is important, be it poker, or baseball or whatever; or a book where the main character is a teacher or the book is set in a school.

3. My mother, Jean: She’s my best friend and role model. She was a stay at home mom until my sisters and I were in school then she started working as a state worker. When she retired she was the manager of the Census Data Center and had her master’s degree in public administration.

To honor my mom: please choose a nonfiction book about politics or government or a book where the main character is involved in politics or as a government worker (state or federal level).

4. My middle sister: Jill: She is two years younger than me and my constant companion during our younger years. She now works as a medical lab technician and is the mother of two remarkable young ladies. And, like all of the other women in my life she loves to read.

In honor of this sister: please choose a book set in a hospital or a book that has romance listed as a genre on its main page.

5. My youngest sister: Diana: She is four years younger than me. She’s a beautician and owns her own hair salon which is quite successful. I was her very willing guinea pig during her learning years. I envy her business sense and success.

In her honor: please read a book listed as fantasy or science fiction as a genre on its main page or one that involves someone in the field of hair dressing or as a beautician or a barber.

6. Me, Laurie: I haven’t done too badly either. I also graduated from college even though I decided to stay working as a toll collector then as a dispatcher.

So, to honor me: please read a book with mystery listed as a genre on its main page or one that involves a first responder of some sort, fire, police or rescue.

message 3: by Laurie (last edited Jan 06, 2013 10:04PM) (new)

message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 12649 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 743 comments For #3 Would a judge be government worker as in Hard Row where the main character is a judge. Thanks

message 6: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Martin | 793 comments Yes, they receive their pay from the state or the federal government and are elected or appointed.

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 6350 comments does this work for the politics - The List: A Novel - she works for a political magazine and from the description gets caught up in a political scandal (almost like the current Petraus one)...

message 8: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Martin | 793 comments Dee wrote: "does this work for the politics - The List: A Novel - she works for a political magazine and from the description gets caught up in a political scandal (almost like the current Petraus one)..."

No, the main character is a reporter, not involved directly in politics or the government.

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 6350 comments Worth a try - I was hoping the political scandal angle might work :)

message 10: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Would Tick Tock - James Patterson for number 6?

Would In Stitches - Nick Edwards for number 4?

message 11: by Sam (new)

Sam | 175 comments Just wanted to check if Joanne Fluke's Hannah Swensen series would work for option 1. She owns a cookie store and bakes cookies.

message 12: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Martin | 793 comments Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Would Tick Tock - James Patterson for number 6?

Would In Stitches - Nick Edwards for number 4?"

Yes to both.

message 13: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Martin | 793 comments Sam wrote: "Just wanted to check if Joanne Fluke's Hannah Swensen series would work for option 1. She owns a cookie store and bakes cookies."

Yes.

message 14: by Catrina (last edited Dec 02, 2012 02:02PM) (new)

Catrina Donnelly | 24 comments Can I have this for option 3 as the nonfiction choice please?

Kiss the Boys Goodbye: How the United States Betrayed Its Own POWs in Vietnam

And this one for Option 1:

Murder Half-Baked

message 15: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Martin | 793 comments Catrina wrote: "Can I have this for option 3 as the nonfiction choice please?

Kiss the Boys Goodbye: How the United States Betrayed Its Own POWs in Vietnam

And this one for Option 1:

Murder Half-Baked"

Yes to both.

message 16: by Fiona (Titch) (last edited Dec 04, 2012 05:03AM) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Laurie, can I change my Tick Tock - James Patterson (Option 6) to The Coroner - M.R. Hall for option 3?

message 17: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Martin | 793 comments Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Laurie, can I change my Tick Tock - James Patterson (Option 6) to The Coroner - M.R. Hall for option 3?"

Yes, this one also works.

message 18: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Thanks Laurie x

message 19: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) For option 5, I'd like to use In Other Worlds: SF and the Human Imagination. It's nonfiction but has "science fiction" listed as a genre on the main page. Is that okay, or does it have to be fiction?

message 20: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Martin | 793 comments Riona wrote: "For option 5, I'd like to use In Other Worlds: SF and the Human Imagination. It's nonfiction but has "science fiction" listed as a genre on the main page. Is that okay, or does it have to be fiction?"

I don't have a problem with this one, so Yes, it works for me.

message 21: by Becca (new)

Becca (charmling) | 33 comments Would The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine work for Option 3? It's got Politics listed on the main page, but from the description I wasn't sure how much of it is focused on politics/government specifically.

message 22: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Martin | 793 comments Becca wrote: "Would The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine work for Option 3? It's got Politics listed on the main page, but from the description I wasn't sure how much of it is focused on politics/governme..."

It seems to involve the SEC (security and exchange commission, which is a government agency), so I'm inclined to allow this one.

message 23: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean | 99 comments My middle sister: Jill option

For this option is it ok to have the book under the Paranormal Romance Genre?

message 24: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Martin | 793 comments Joanne♥ wrote: "My middle sister: Jill option

For this option is it ok to have the book under the Paranormal Romance Genre?"

She's more into just the romance, so if it's only paranormal romance, so no.

message 25: by Ty (new)

Ty  | 563 comments Will The Darkest Hour work for #6? The husband rescues his wife from her kidnappers....
Thanks!

message 26: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Martin | 793 comments Ty wrote: "Will The Darkest Hour work for #6? The husband rescues his wife from her kidnappers....
Thanks!"

Yes.

message 27: by Peebee (new)

Peebee | 485 comments For 4, book set in a hospital, would a nonfiction memoir about someone with a rare disease work (Immortal Bird: A Family Memoir)? The subject of the book, Damon Weber, spends much of the time period of the memoir in the hospital and/or traveling to hospitals for appointments due to the nature of his illness.

message 28: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Martin | 793 comments Peebee wrote: "For 4, book set in a hospital, would a nonfiction memoir about someone with a rare disease work (Immortal Bird: A Family Memoir)? The subject of the book, Damon Weber, spends much of the time perio..."

That works. Yes.

message 29: by Janice (last edited Jan 04, 2013 03:21PM) (new)

Janice  | 562 comments I was wondering if Executioner Pierrepoint would work for option three? Mr. Pierrepoint was England's longest standing and last appointed hangman. This autobiography is about his work and his subsequent reversal in philosophy regarding the death penalty. Thanks.

message 30: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Martin | 793 comments Janice CA wrote: "I was wondering if Executioner Pierrepoint would work for option three. Mr. Pierrepoint was England's longest standing and last appointed hangman. This autobiography is about his work and his subse..."

Yes this works

message 31: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 335 comments For Option 1 would you accept The Edgar Allan Poe Audio Collection. It doesn't state poetry but it contains poems. Also theres no hours listed on goodreads and there is no paperback equivalent. Its 6 hours. Thank you.

message 32: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Martin | 793 comments Nikki wrote: "For Option 1 would you accept The Edgar Allan Poe Audio Collection. It doesn't state poetry but it contains poems. Also theres no hours listed on goodreads and there is no paperback equivalent. Its..."

I do want the main page to list poems/poetry so No.

message 33: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (Sandra72) | 625 comments Okay so maybe this is a stretch but would Cruel and Unusual work for option #3 - government worker. Dr. Scarpetta is Chief Medical Examiner for Virginia.

message 34: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Martin | 793 comments Sandra wrote: "Okay so maybe this is a stretch but would Cruel and Unusual work for option #3 - government worker. Dr. Scarpetta is Chief Medical Examiner for Virginia."

Yes it works.

message 35: by Katy (new)

Katy | 515 comments For #2 is nonfiction about schools/teachers ok?

message 36: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Martin | 793 comments Katy wrote: "For #2 is nonfiction about schools/teachers ok?"

Yes, as long as it's about teachers/schools.

message 37: by Katy (new)

Katy | 515 comments Laurie wrote: "Katy wrote: "For #2 is nonfiction about schools/teachers ok?"

Yes, as long as it's about teachers/schools."

Thanks, Laurie!

message 38: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Martin | 793 comments Katy wrote: "Laurie wrote: "Katy wrote: "For #2 is nonfiction about schools/teachers ok?"

Yes, as long as it's about teachers/schools."

Thanks, Laurie!"

;-)