Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Linda (new)

Linda Worstell (goodreadscoml_worstell) | 7 comments Police Procedural

Usually a recurring character who is the investigator
More clinical in tone

Sometimes little or no mystery – focus on solving the crime

May include more details on violence

Professional investigator – police detective or a team of officers and technicians

Sub-genres – forensic, serial killer, stalkers

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  (sarcare) | 58 comments The only procedural series I follow is the In Death series--which is not a completely typical procedural.

Though sometimes I think that because they follow the same characters through the series there can also be a focus on relationships and character development. I read a couple of the Faye Kellerman series--I loved Ritual Bath, but thought that the series was less interesting as it went on.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 78 comments Mod
I like the Jo Nesbo Harry Hole books, though I have to skip some of the gorey descriptions. However, I can't stop wondering why Nesbo didn't have some kind of translator or editor that would convince him to pick a different name for his character! I know it's silly, but it can be hard to take Harry seriously sometimes because of name.

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather Hamilton (H-town) | 28 comments Lee Child's Jack Reacher series. I like the military angle, and the one-man-taking-down-everybody-single-handed part. I love the clinical angle and the detailed descriptions of guns/ammunition, stalking suspects, and beating up 6 guys all by yourself. Mostly I'm intrigued by the multi-novel character arc of Jack. None of my friends like this stuff, so please, you guys, be my murder friends!

message 5: by Cherie (new)

Cherie | 40 comments I just finished City of Saints and it is both a police procedural and a private eye, because the detective gets fired half way through the book and then he goes it on his own to discover what really happened.

message 6: by Angie (new)

Angie Tess Gerritsen's Rizzoli and Isles novels come to mind. Nothing like the TV show but have become a little predictable. However, I do love the character of Gabriel and wish he had a larger role in the books.

message 7: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 43 comments I liked Stefanie Pintoff's In the Shadow of Gotham. It's a police procedural, but it takes place at the turn of the 20th century when forensics were just beginning. It's part police procedural, part historical fiction.

message 8: by Ruby (new)

Ruby (rcheezy48) | 14 comments Let me introduce you to a new police procedural: Walking in the Ocean, by David Whellams. Takes place along the Jurassic Coast of England/Wales. Peter Cammon is a 67 yr old semi-retired Scotland Yard detective send to solve they murder or suicide of a woman who's husband (and the main suspect) has disappeared by "walking into the ocean" sans clothing. The novel has wit, Holmesian deductive reasoning, and an interesting main character. Now I want to read the next one!

message 9: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Clyne | 6 comments I just finished The Last Policeman. Very much a police procedural but with a cross-over twist. Just not sure what the cross-over is. Any thoughts?

message 10: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 37 comments Carolyn wrote: "I just finished The Last Policeman. Very much a police procedural but with a cross-over twist. Just not sure what the cross-over is. Any thoughts?"

I just finished it, too. I guess if you want to call it a cross-over, I would say it's science fiction (post-apocalyptic stories are usually sf, so why not pre-apocalyptic?) Anyway, I really enjoyed it.

message 11: by Darin (new)

Darin | 13 comments Stephanie wrote: "Carolyn wrote: "I just finished The Last Policeman. Very much a police procedural but with a cross-over twist. Just not sure what the cross-over is. Any thoughts?"

I just finished it, too. I gues..."

I'm about 2/3 of the way done, and am really enjoying it. Given the premise, I'm surprised there is a sequel coming out. Steve and I ordered it with bestseller funds. The title is Disasterland.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  (sarcare) | 58 comments I also read The Last Policeman. I was most of the way through it before I really believed it was a mystery. I do like apocalyptic novels, which is what attracted me to the book. I may have to look for the sequels! (It is a trilogy)

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 6 comments I just read City of Saints. It was interesting that Andrew Hunt included historical places around Utah and that he took a real murder case from SLC history to as his inspiration. He creates two very contrasting characters, one very religious and one character that uses the f* word pretty much every time he speaks.

message 14: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 6 comments Even though the Jefferson Bass "Body Farm" novels are not exactly police forensics, Dr. Brockton is usually working with or for the police. With the real-life background of Dr. Bill Bass, these books are some of my favorite mystery's that have accurate background research.

message 15: by Annie (new)

Annie E | 11 comments A few years ago we had a title in Reader's Choice called Still-Life. I loved the serene quaint-looking village cover, but it turned out to be a Police Procedural mystery with a chief inspector, murders, deep dark secrets, and fear instilled into the community. I usually stick with cozies but I enjoyed this one.