The Sword and Laser discussion

Cold Days (The Dresden Files, #14)
This topic is about Cold Days
What Else Are You Reading? > Dresden Files - Cold Days Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Comments (showing 1-50 of 116) (116 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob (robzak) | 5139 comments Mod

The thread I had made about this coming out has gotten a bit long and is in the news section, so I figured I'd set up a new one for the actual discussion.

I'll try to moderate the discussion a bit (if that's even needed). Just please try to keep all plot discussion in spoiler tags.

Also, adding comments above the spoiler tags like "spoilers for chapters 1-4" would be very helpful, for people who are still reading and want to jump in.

Finally if you're replying to someone who posted spoilers, make sure you don't accidently include their spoilers in the quote. Do something like:

1) @Rob (without quoting actual text/using the reply button)
or
2) if you do quote: Rob said: "Something Profound but unspoilery. spoilers removed" by manually editing the quote before posting.

And while everyone is eagerly awaiting the book tomorrow, don't forget you can read chapters 1-4 online:

Cold Days Page

Direct Chapter Links
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4

Note that at the time of this post Mr. Butcher's website seems to be crawling. Maybe all his fans were waiting till the day before to read 1-4 like me.

message 2: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Not much of a spoiler, but I don't want to ruin what had me laughing out loud from my reading of chapters 1-4 online last night.

This particular bit is from Chapter 2

I love how (view spoiler)

Now I sit at work eagerly watching the tracking from Amazon for my copy and counting down till I can go home and read. Not sure how much reading I'll get in tonight as I have a WoW raid scheduled..but tomorrow will be nothing but reading.

Anyone else started yet? I envy people who digital copies and got the book at midnight. Is that timezone dependent?

message 3: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments Rob wrote: This particular bit is from Chapter 2

I enjoyed some of the catty comments a well.
I look forwards to reading the rest of the book.

message 4: by Sky (last edited Nov 27, 2012 08:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky Corbelli | 320 comments Rob said: "Something Profound, asked a question, and mentioned WoW."

Yeah, I downloaded it for kindle last night... I remembered at around midnight PST, but I know his previous releases have gone live Eastern Time and are available at like 9PM for me.

I swear I'm not just going to be reading it all day at work. Honest.

Also, come over to the GW2 side, I promise you'll like it here.

message 5: by JR (new) - rated it 5 stars

JR (jerslan) | 18 comments Amazon delivered my copy yesterday (I love it when they get things to me a day or two early!)... I got half-way through before deciding that sleep before work in the morning was necessary.

All I have to say right now is holy frakking shit balls.... I don't want to spoil anything for anyone right now.... and saying anything more would probably do that. Not even behind a spoiler tag... because I know all you sneaky bastards would take a peak ;)

message 6: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky wrote: "Yeah, I downloaded it for kindle last night... I remembered at around midnight PST, but I know his previous releases have gone live Eastern Time and are available at like 9PM for me."

Interesting about the eBooks releases. I'm about to leave for work and it still doesn't seem like my hard copy has been delivered yet. Hopefully during my commute.

Sky wrote: "Also, come over to the GW2 side, I promise you'll like it here."

I know a few people who got GW2, but they don't play much. I'd consider it maybe, but not until I quit WoW. I just don't have time for another MMO.

I've been running with most of the same people on and off for 8 years now, including a few I went to college with and might not talk to otherwise..so, I don't see myself quitting until our guild finally dies off.

Many of us were playing SW:ToR for awhile, but no one seemed to stick with it after maxing out.

message 7: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 5 stars

JR wrote: "Amazon delivered my copy yesterday (I love it when they get things to me a day or two early!)."

I wish they did that for me. I got a delivery of my Tawny Man books yesterday that I ordered last week, so they could have easily included Cold Days in there.

Then again I have a few movies I bought on Black Friday coming with my book today anyways..

message 8: by Sky (last edited Nov 27, 2012 12:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky Corbelli | 320 comments Rob wrote: "Some stuff."

Yeah, having books at my fingertips has pretty much been the dream for a while now, and as such I buy almost exclusively in ebook format.

And I can understand, I used WoW as "Facebook with monsters to kill" for many a year. GW2 is just so much more user friendly... but I wouldn't have picked it up if I was still actively WoWing.

JR wrote: "I already have my copy because Amazon loves me more and it's everything you dreamed it would be."

I agree. Just took an extra long lunch because I was caught up in the book, and now debugging this sporadic error isn't seeming all that urgent...

message 9: by Rob, Roberator (last edited Nov 27, 2012 01:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky wrote: "And I can understand, I used WoW as "Facebook with monsters to kill" for many a year.."

I'm actually enjoying this expansion more than the last one. It's not just the social thing, but that is integral to any online game keeping my interest for long.

I have a few reasons why I won't be going digital anytime soon. Some stuff I do ebooks for, but it's mostly indy author stuff or can't pass up deals.

Sadly I'm still waiting on UPS..usually he delivers before I get home..but it's raining today, and yesterday wasn't till dinner time..

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

This outing has almost all the answers I wanted after reading Changes and sets up the storyline for the rest of series going forward. Which seems headed for a far more epic scope than I thought it would go.

message 11: by JR (last edited Nov 27, 2012 03:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

JR (jerslan) | 18 comments Ala wrote: "Which seems headed for a far more epic scope than I thought it would go."

Butcher has been saying for a while his plan has been 20-ish "case" books followed by an Apocalyptic Trilogy "because who doesn't like Apocalyptic Trilogies?" I believe this even came up in his recent Sword & Laser interview. He's apparently mostly on-track with the plan... Though Harry's love-life has apparently effected more than he originally planned it to.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, I know. I just hadn't expected it to be headed in this direction.

message 13: by Tamahome (new) - added it

Tamahome | 5096 comments I read about 50 pages, and I've only read the first one before this. Trippy. Seems like Laurell K Hamilton without the orgies (yet?).

message 14: by Kris (last edited Nov 27, 2012 06:56PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris (KVolk) | 797 comments Got mine today!! Diving in...will talk later!

message 15: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 27, 2012 07:04PM) (new)

Tamahome wrote: "I read about 50 pages, and I've only read the first one before this. Trippy. Seems like Laurell K Hamilton without the orgies (yet?)."

Basically, yeah. School assignment to write something similar to Hamilton is where Storm Front came from.

And if you're jumping from book one directly into Cold Days...man, that just spoils a lot of the storylines.

message 16: by Rob, Roberator (last edited Nov 27, 2012 07:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm on hold with UPS trying to figure out if they are going to even deliver it today..*sigh*

Stupid holidays..this never was a problem in April..or even July..

Update (cuz I know you all were holding your breath!) It came at like 10pm..I didn't know they deliver that late. Guess I won't get to read till tomorrow.

message 17: by JR (new) - rated it 5 stars

JR (jerslan) | 18 comments Tamahome wrote: "I read about 50 pages, and I've only read the first one before this. Trippy. Seems like Laurell K Hamilton without the orgies (yet?)."

You also should really NOT start with Cold Days if you're new to the series.... Or even jump from book 1 to Cold Days (14).... Lots of stuff happens in the books in between that are ridiculously important to a LOT of the plot lines going on in Cold Days.

Finished tonight and yeah... Umm... I think the next 6-ish "case" books are going to be very very interesting.

Non-spoilery things about Cold Days:
1) We learn a LOT more about Demonreach and Harry's "bond" with it
2) We learn a LOT more about the inner-workings of the Sidhe (and they're psyches)
3) Basically, we learn a LOT of things most people in this world don't know anything about, even those supposedly "in the know" like the White Council. And yet I have even more questions now than ever before :P

Spoilery things... Not going there... At all... Don't want to ruin it for anyone.

message 18: by Susan (new)

Susan (susieblu) | 34 comments Cold Days also references a lot of Side Job stories. Which is awesome. I am almost done with it and I started reading last night.

message 19: by Susan (new)

Susan (susieblu) | 34 comments Gleeful laugh (view spoiler)

message 20: by Andy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andy (Andy_M) | 311 comments JR wrote: "Non-spoilery things about Cold Days:."

I want to add 4) Sets up some big ideas and big bads for the future.

message 21: by Susan (new)

Susan (susieblu) | 34 comments Done, when's the next one going to be out?

I am super happy with this book. I was so afraid Butcher was going to jump the shark or something with making Harry the Winter Knight. Giving the fact (view spoiler) (spoiler for Changes) and kinda wrapped things up, I was really wondering what could possible happen next?

Well, Cold Days delivered and it did leave me guessing until the end. Now I want to know what's next. (view spoiler) Questions have been answered but more have taken thier place. My biggest one is (view spoiler)

All in all, awesome. Harry is back and he is bigger and badder than ever.

PS I am sure after I get over my fan girl praise I will start poking more holes into everything.

Kathryn Weis | 126 comments Kringle. :)

message 23: by JR (last edited Nov 28, 2012 01:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

JR (jerslan) | 18 comments Susan wrote: "My biggest one is (spoiler removed)

My answer to this is very very spoilery, but here goes:
(view spoiler)

Seriously... Don't peek if you haven't finished the book... You will go to the Special Hell and hate yourself forever if you do. Didn't take long for me to break my silence on detail... but for that question there was no way around it >.<

message 24: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments On a related note-A pair of wild coyotes were seen Friday at Chicago's Wrigley field. They were probably just hanging out waiting for a Fool Moon.

message 25: by Skip (new) - rated it 4 stars

Skip | 516 comments The book was an awesome read, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I enjoyed Mab's inadvertent Princess Bride reference. Also, Harry's embarrassment at (view spoiler)

As for Molly (view spoiler)

Other things of note: (view spoiler)

I know there's more, but I'd like to see what you all thought of the book first.

message 26: by Susan (new)

Susan (susieblu) | 34 comments JR wrote: "Susan wrote: "My biggest one is (spoiler removed)

My answer to this is very very spoilery, but here goes:

Ah, that would make since. I figured there was some prep going on but what I got out of book 4 was the person had to (view spoiler)

I also agree that (view spoiler)

message 27: by JR (new) - rated it 5 stars

JR (jerslan) | 18 comments Susan wrote: "what I got out of book 4 was the person had to..."

(view spoiler)

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry JR, but you're wrong.

(view spoiler)

message 29: by Skip (new) - rated it 4 stars

Skip | 516 comments Ala wrote: "Sorry JR, but you're wrong.

[spoilers removed]"

Ala's right.

(view spoiler)

If only someone were interviewing Jim Butcher soon ... (Where's a time machine when you need one?)

Daran | 599 comments I also really wish that S&L interviewed Butcher after his book had come out. I've so many questions now. Did this book seem a little bluer in terms of language than the others?

Harry, Molly and others(view spoiler)

Toot and Lacuna. (view spoiler)

Demonreach. (view spoiler)

Murphy and Dresden, or Karrin and Harry. (view spoiler)

Mac (view spoiler)

message 31: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Man I love the humor: (spoiling a joke[no plot] from ch 36)

(view spoiler)

lol..

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

About Lacuna and Toot (view spoiler)

Daran | 599 comments Ala wrote: "About Lacuna and Toot [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

just finished it, omg you guys, what an awesome book.
(view spoiler)

I'm kind of overwhelmed.

I really loved this book. I think the wait was definitely worth while.

message 35: by JR (new) - rated it 5 stars

JR (jerslan) | 18 comments J4n3 wrote: "Also did I get that right [spoiler removed]."

(view spoiler)

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

JR wrote: "J4n3 wrote: "Also did I get that right [spoiler removed]."

[spoilers removed]"

I meant specifically that part (view spoiler)

message 37: by JR (new) - rated it 5 stars

JR (jerslan) | 18 comments @J4n3

(view spoiler)

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

JR wrote: "@J4n3

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 39: by Susan (new)

Susan (susieblu) | 34 comments on Mac.

A couple of theories-

He is a scion of some type like Kincaid
He is a kin of something like Gard
He is something along the lines of Vadderung
Or (view spoiler)

Grabbing at threads.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

by the way, anyone else notice that (view spoiler)

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

with regards to Mac: (view spoiler)

Brandt | 44 comments Reg. mac
(view spoiler)

message 43: by Brandt (last edited Nov 30, 2012 05:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brandt | 44 comments J4n3 wrote: "by the way, anyone else notice that [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Quasar | 33 comments Just got done.

OMG.

Damn Jim. Damn you.

A really excellent installment in the series. And it was great to have James Marsters back for the audiobook.

Daran | 599 comments Starborn (view spoiler)

message 46: by Rob, Roberator (last edited Dec 01, 2012 07:58AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Finally finished! Here's my Full Review if anyone is interested. It's pretty free of spoilers and the one minor mention, I put in tags.

I really loved this book. After the last one, I worried the series might be starting to fall off like I felt Codex Alera did after Captain's Fury, but this might have been my favorite in the series.

It finally answered many of the lingering questions I had from Changes that I was disappointed weren't in Ghost Story.

I love the addition of both Kringle and Lacuna and hope to see both return in the next book. It seems certain Lacuna will at least. And I totally did not see (view spoiler) coming. I must have re-read that part 5 or 6 times in disbelief. I really hope we get more detail about it the next one.

The revelations about Demonreach were quite satisfying not to mention some of new details about who the Gatekeeper is.

I've never given much thought to Mac or his past. I guess there is a lot more going on there than I ever suspected. Some interesting theories posed here about what his secrets might be. I don't really have one of my own, but I imagine he must have been (view spoiler). I guess we'll have to wait and see.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Random spoilery question:
(view spoiler)

message 48: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ala wrote: "Random spoilery question:
[spoilers removed]"

Ooh. I 1) missed that part I guess. 2) wonder if you aren't right. Interesting thought. Even if you're not I wonder if he'll elaborate about it further.

message 49: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 01, 2012 02:39PM) (new)

I did a reread of the entire series before I read Cold Days, so some stuff got stuck in my mind. Like from Changes (view spoiler).

So when it was mentioned as missing in this book, it just seemed to fit.

message 50: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm hoping to get audio books to go through the series again sometime next year. I used to reread a few years back, but my to read list has grown too long.

I agree your theory would fit.

« previous 1 3