The Readers discussion

Ask The Publishers Anything

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Simon (new)

Simon (SavidgeReads) | 449 comments Mod
Hello everyone, very exciting news as we will be interviewing the founders of Tinder Press and new imprint from a large publishing house in the UK who will be releasing books next year...

So we thought this would be a great opportunity for you to 'Ask The Publishers Anything'. Literally anything.

What would you like to know about setting up a new imprint? Get your questions to us by Thursday and we will ask on your behalf.

Note - we will be doing the Ask The Editor Anything interview in the New Year due to conflicting schedules.

So what have you always wanted to ask a publisher?

message 2: by Eric (new)

Eric Does this look infected to you?

message 3: by Simon (new)

What?

message 4: by Eric (new)

Eric You said I could ask anything. Hey, I'll be here all week! Try the veal!

(Sorry)

message 5: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ how do you determine what will work with the public? how long, on average, does it take for a book to get to print from the time they see the manuscipt?

what is the benefit of an imprint for the publishing house?

message 6: by Ruthiella (last edited Nov 28, 2012 08:51AM) (new)

Ruthiella | 271 comments Who determines the physical look of the book? Does the author have any input as well? I am thinkng in part about Michael's quandry in the Series thread regarding his collection of a series where he had the same publisher, same cover designs, same spines but some of the books were different sizes...! But also, I am thinking of some books that are marketed in PINK as "chick lit" (a hateful term, I think),but really are not books aimed only at women readers of a certain age, for example. I haven't yet bought a book based on its cover (I think) ... but I know this can play a big part in what one purchases in physical book stores.

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris Wolak (ChrisWolak) | 8 comments I've often wondered if there were repercussions for an editor who turns down a book that goes on to be a best seller for another publisher. I suppose it would be obvious they didn't have a knack for picking winners if it happened several times, but is one such incident enough to negatively impact an editor?

message 8: by jeniwren (last edited Nov 28, 2012 12:08PM) (new)

jeniwren | 4 comments I have always wondered why publishers change the title of a book when released in a different country to that of original publication. Does it really have a significant impact on sales and what are the reasons for the title change? One that comes to mind is 'Of A Boy' by Sonya Hartnett (Australian title) which goes under the title 'What the Birds See' in the UK.
Also why do some books come out in hardcover first?

message 9: by Chris (new)

Chris Wolak (ChrisWolak) | 8 comments Jeniwren wrote: "I have always wondered why publishers change the title of a book when released in a different country to that of original publication. Does it really have a significant impact on sales and what are..."

Great question about the title change from country to country!

message 10: by Simon (new)

Thank you all for your questions, listen to Episode 55, on the 11th of December for a really interesting conversation made all the more interesting by your adages.