History Buffs United discussion

I need help finding a book!

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I am in need of some help. There is a book that I saw this summer that I would like to get my sister for Christmas but I don't remember the title or author. I wrote it down but have misplaced that scrap of paper. The book was about WWI or WWII and the cover was mostly white with a black and white drawing and red type. If anyone has any thoughts on what it might be that would be great. I think it is a newer book.

message 2: by Hazel (new)

Hazel West | 816 comments Mod
Hmm, if it's WWII then that's going to be pretty hard as there are a lot of WWII books out there. As for WWI books, I'm really not sure. I don't remember seeing any that match that description. The only one that comes to mind is Jeff Shaara's To the Last Man: A Novel of the First World War (actually, if you can't find the one you're looking for and she likes WWI books, this one is really good, and I would recommend it highly.) Maybe someone else would know more.

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda McCrina (9inchsnails) Code Name Verity is the only recent WWII novel I can think of right off that has a black/white/red color scheme, while Between Shades of Gray has a mostly white cover. Neither of them has a drawing on the front, though. :-(

Yeah, I can't think of any recent WWI novels right off.

message 4: by Bryn (new)

Bryn Hammond (BrynHammond) | 275 comments Is it a book out this year, Margo? It's tugging at a memory - perhaps -

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I think so. It was in a bookstore in Dublin Ireland and on a shelf close to the door. I think it was an American publisher.

message 6: by Bryn (last edited Nov 26, 2012 11:20AM) (new)

Bryn Hammond (BrynHammond) | 275 comments I have a friend with WWI/II histfic shelves, but I went through them with no luck - not exactly as you say of the cover.
-- I misremember covers the whole time. They're never what I thought they were. Any chance? Is that just me?

message 7: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 339 comments Fiction? Nonfiction? Connie Willis's All Clear (All Clear, #2) is a novel set mostly in WWII—published this year, images on the cover, black-and-white (no red type)—but it is a sequel to her Blackout (All Clear, #1), published last year or earlier.

You would remember, if that's the book, because it involves Willis's time-traveling historians. And if it's not, but your sister likes the period, the pair of them might be an alternative.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for the help everyone, but I think I am going to go with another book. I will keep looking for this one though.