Reading with Style discussion

RwS (Winter 12/13) > 20.3 – Winter's Tale

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz M (new)

Liz M 20.3 – In honor of Winter's Tale :
Read a novel classified as magical realism on the linked page.

message 2: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1107 comments I am planning to read The Law of Love since I own it.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 8481 comments Bea wrote: "I am planning to read The Law of Love since I own it."

Oh, and combo's with 20.4 because Esquivel was born in 1950, and the shiny new Non-Western style!

message 4: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 3142 comments I'm surprised there is not a list of magical realism books from India. I'm thinking of Midnight's Children, The God of Small Things and many others as India itself is a magical realism country!

message 5: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 3568 comments Rebekah wrote: "I'm surprised there is not a list of magical realism books from India. I'm thinking of Midnight's Children, The God of Small Things and many others as India itself is a magical realism country!"

Midnight's Children is on the British list. I think books are listed by the author's current country of residence.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 8481 comments Rebekah wrote: "I'm surprised there is not a list of magical realism books from India. I'm thinking of Midnight's Children, The God of Small Things and many others as India itself is a magical realism country!"

Both of those books will fit the Plath task.

message 7: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 3568 comments Hmmm - except that wouldn't be true of Isabel Allende whose books are listed under Chile, so I guess I'm not sure how the listings work;)

message 8: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 3142 comments what about Life of Pi ?

message 9: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 3142 comments India still has tons of magical realism

message 10: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 3142 comments What about The Mistress of Spices by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni? Most of her books are in this genre.

message 11: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 3142 comments The list just seems heavy on Europe and Western hemisphere. other than Japan, I saw no other Asian country on the list.

message 12: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Rebekah wrote: "The list just seems heavy on Europe and Western hemisphere. other than Japan, I saw no other Asian country on the list."

Unfortunately, only the books on the linked pages will qualify for this task.

message 13: by Rosemary (last edited Nov 29, 2012 02:44AM) (new)

Rosemary | 2025 comments Karen GHHS wrote: "Midnight's Children is on the British list. I think books are listed by the author's current country of residence. "

Salman Rushdie is a British national, although he was born in India and often writes about India. That must be why he's on the British list. I think he lives in America now.

But yes, it would be nice if there was an Indian magical realism list :)

message 14: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 3568 comments Rosemary wrote: "Karen GHHS wrote: "Midnight's Children is on the British list. I think books are listed by the author's current country of residence. "

Salman Rushdie is a British national, although he was born i..."

One thing to keep in mind is that on Wikipedia anyone could create the India list. I don't know if the mods would want that to happen at this point, but it could be done.

message 15: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 3142 comments Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni is one of my fave authors. Nearly all her books have MR in it. She was born in India but lives a couple of miles from me!
The Mistress of Spices
Queen of Dreams
The Palace of Illusions

But really nearly every book I read from an Indian author has some Mr in it. Their whole culture is magical!
Ok I would start a Wikipedia list. I've never tried it before.

message 16: by Christine (last edited Dec 04, 2012 03:55PM) (new)

Christine | 473 comments Oops. I deleted my above question. Realized I put my question to the wrong task.

I'm excited about this task, BTW. I've had Joyce Carol Oates Bellefleur sitting around for years meaning to read it. It's finally time.

message 17: by Tobey (new)

Tobey | 241 comments Well crap! Only The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón is listed and not his most recent The Prisoner of Heaven. Le sigh. :-)